Sublime Sound

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello Peter,

My experience is exactly the same as yours. With this Sonny Rollin album and my old system with YG and room acoustic setting, I used to hear saxsophone come out almost directly from the speaker. I read someone in this forum mentioned that with this album the recording was done like that. And I listened to this album at my friends place with his Herbeth. The same thing happened. So I really took it granted that how it supposed to be. With my current system, it is obvious that the saxophone comes from behind the speaker and Sonny did move around like you said indeed. I dont think the difference comes from my gears at all. They come from my tuning of room acoustic and the system setting. I also have the KL Audio, but I dont think it contributes to this though.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tango, That is so interesting. This is a good example of how one can describe an effect from a specific recording and compare experiences with other listeners. In my case, the KL Audio RCM definitely improved the sense of realism and believability by removing a layer of noise and letting me hear more of the information in the grooves. Perhaps it did not help to move the sound away from the speaker location but it adds to the sense of Presence and palpability of the musicians a bit. But as I wrote, I'm at a loss to explain really what is responsible for this impression of the music leaving the speakers and filling the room more. I do think room acoustics contributed, basically lessoning reflections allows one to more clearly hear the spacial information captured by the recording.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd. Yes, I've found that once the system components are well matched and the room/system are dialed in, sweating the small stuff can take one's system to great places. It's that last few % which can make a tremendous difference to overall enjoyment.

Good luck with the panel placement. Your system seems to have evolved slowly over time and your decisions seem well researched and deliberate. This approach plus your willingness to experiment and spend time working at it seems to be paying off.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! The male voices on video were perfectly clear in the other room...so it is a bit of a struggle now to figure out where/how its changed here. The room is bigger with a definite echo...that is part of it...the search for greatness continues!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have been listening to choral music lately and I have a new reference recording to go along with one of my favorites, Cantate Domino, on the Proprius label. This new one I think was recommended to me by Myles Astor. It is Holst on the Argo label, ZRG 5495. Photo below.

Al M. came over the other night and I played this for him. The recording is of exceptional quality. The voices are extremely clear and articulate and the string sound is superb. The sound fills my room with clarity and presence. This recording has become a new benchmark for me in assessing the sound of my system. I am reminded of Al's comment that CD is where "all the music is". Here and now, I take some small pleasure in reminding my good friend Al, that his statement is not entirely true.

IMG_3104.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
CD is where all the music is as it was all compressed and doctored to fit into pre CD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
PeterA...thanks! Found the CD...in the Amazon basket!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have been listening to choral music lately and I have a new reference recording to go along with one of my favorites, Cantate Domino, on the Proprius label. This new one I think was recommended to me by Myles Astor. It is Holst on the Argo label, ZRG 5495. Photo below.

Al M. came over the other night and I played this for him. The recording is of exceptional quality. The voices are extremely clear and articulate and the string sound is superb. The sound fills my room with clarity and presence. This recording has become a new benchmark for me in assessing the sound of my system. I am reminded of Al's comment that CD is where "all the music is". Here and now, I take some small pleasure in reminding my good friend Al, that his statement is not entirely true.

View attachment 34516

I searched everywhere for ? samples (Imogen Holst's album) but without success. I guess I just have to order it (the CD is almost free).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
try itunes...i dont use it, but the website had it.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
When Peter played the recording the other day for me, it was an exhilarating experience. Originally he only wanted to play the first side with the male voices. The voices of the small choir were so vividly present and palpable, with such natural, saturated timbre and an open, effortless sound that I was floored. The voices just energized the room. The highs in this open soundstage seemed to extend without limits. As stunning as the voices was the sound of the small string ensemble. The resolution of fine detail of string tone and the naturalness of sound from the group of 3 or 4 violins playing in unison was just astonishing, I couldn't contain from exclaiming a few times "wow!". The sound of the group of 2 or 3 celli had that unmistakable combination of simultaneous body and air that is often heard live but so rarely on a system. I asked Peter to turn over the LP and have us listen to the entire second side as well, with the female choir and strings. Another 20 minutes of sonic bliss.

Overall this was one of the most intoxicating and convincing presentations that I have ever heard from a system. The illusion of live sound was strong. While the SME turntable/arm may not exactly be the current flavor of the month, I am becoming more and more deeply impressed with the performance of this precision instrument. This must be a top contender in the analog world.

Another thing: the micro-dynamics, just as the macro-dynamics, were outstanding, of the highest level. The effortless, natural dynamic swelling and deflating of vocal lines was incredibly life-like. And that from inefficient speakers driven by behemoth solid state amps which, according to many, is just not possible. Reality trumps preconceived notions.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
When Peter played the recording the other day for me, it was an exhilarating experience. Originally he only wanted to play the first side with the male voices. The voices of the small choir were so vividly present and palpable, with such natural, saturated timbre and an open, effortless sound that I was floored. The voices just energized the room. The highs in this open soundstage seemed to extend without limits. As stunning as the voices was the sound of the small string ensemble. The resolution of fine detail of string tone and the naturalness of sound from the group of 3 or 4 violins playing in unison was just astonishing, I couldn't contain from exclaiming a few times "wow!". The sound of the group of 2 or 3 celli had that unmistakable combination of simultaneous body and air that is often heard live but so rarely on a system. I asked Peter to turn over the LP and have us listen to the entire second side as well, with the female choir and strings. Another 20 minutes of sonic bliss.

Overall this was one of the most intoxicating and convincing presentations that I have ever heard from a system. The illusion of live sound was strong. While the SME turntable/arm may not exactly be the current flavor of the month, I am becoming more and more deeply impressed with the performance of this precision instrument. This must be a top contender in the analog world.

Another thing: the micro-dynamics, just as the macro-dynamics, were outstanding, of the highest level. The effortless, natural dynamic swelling and deflating of vocal lines was incredibly life-like. And that from inefficient speakers driven by behemoth solid state amps which, according to many, is just not possible. Reality trumps preconceived notions.

Thanks Al for the kind words about the sound of my system. Yes, the room was indeed energized with the presence of that performance. I am glad to have discovered this LP and to be able to share it with friends. I did not know that it is also available on CD. You should try to get a copy to enjoy in your system. Thank you also for mentioning the contribution of my SME table and arm. For some reason, SME is not very popular these days in the US.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Thanks Al for the kind words about the sound of my system.

I would not have written what I did had I not been as convinced and impressed by the sonic performance of your system as I was.

Thank you also for mentioning the contribution of my SME table and arm. For some reason, SME is not very popular these days in the US.

Yes, we had a conversation about changing fashions in the audiophile world and the "hot item of the day". For that, the current Audio Exotics thread is enlightening as well.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012

View attachment 34516

I remember traveling around the US (and at CES), when I was Magnepan's National Sales Manager - introducing audiophiles & dealers to Proprius recordings. The four that got the most playtime were Cantate Domino, Jazz at the Pawnshop, Laudate, & Barock.

Used Barock & Laudate for VTA adjustments for some labels. Later discovered the Argo recording that Peter mentions - and also used it for VTA for certain record labels. All 5 were wonderfully involving musically, IMO.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Here is a photo of the back of the LP showing song selection. It is not clear to me that this same recording is available on digital, though some people have found some of the songs. They may have been recorded at different times and places and may or may not be of the same sonic quality.

IMG_3106.JPG

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I remember traveling around the US (and at CES), when I was Magnepan's National Sales Manager - introducing audiophiles & dealers to Proprius recordings. The four that got the most playtime were Cantate Domino, Jazz at the Pawnshop, Laudate, & Barock.

Used Barock & Laudate for VTA adjustments for some labels. Later discovered the Argo recording that Peter mentions - and also used it for VTA for certain record labels. All 5 were wonderfully involving musically, IMO.

It all comes down to the VTA Jim, doesn't it :)!

david

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Wow Peter, you have such a pristine copy of Holst. It actually looks new. I rarely see Argo LP's like that. Congrats.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I always like the Argo recordings better than the Decca ones of that era....

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It was time for me to hear Peter's system again today, after a long time; and this time, the MySonic Labs cartridge was on center stage. That, along all those tweaks, have elevated the system to much higher levels than what I heard last time. Very nice high frequency extension, partly missing before, no congestion on large orchestral (though naturally not realistic scale either), and all in all, a completely transformed system. Just great on violin, cello, guitar, and For Duke was just sensational - all with great rhythm.

One suggestion Peter: put those speaker spikes back on and protect the floor with Lovan discs or similar. You may just end up with higher dynamics.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing