Ranking The Point Guards

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Yesterday and today Kelly Dwyer at Yahoo posted articles ranking the top 30 point guards. I thought we might have a bit of fun discussing at least the top 10. Here's Dwyer's ranking:

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajan Rondo
4. Steve Nash
5. Derrick Rose
6. Chauncey Billups
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Devin Harris
9. Tony Parker
10. Baron Davis

What do you think?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
ROn

1-Chris Paul is likely the best right now ...
2-then it has to be Steve Nash, no team to speak of but keep on dishing the ball to any breathing body with hands ..
3-Rajan Rondo .. If he keeps improving they'll be scary .. How does he manage to be such a great rebounder with his size?
4-Derrick Rose ..Poise, intelligence... How good will this kid be ? he is one reason I would not dismiss Chicago in the East.

The rest, I would bump Tony Parker up... San Antonio may be down but they're not out ...

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
BTW, our own Stephen Curry was ranked 13th by Kelly Dwyer. Not bad after only 1 year in the NBA.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I agree with the rankings. Nash and Billups are on the older side (slower) while Paul, Derron and Rondo are young and fast. Main problem of Rondo is his jumpshot. He needs to be a better shooter. A good shooting coach like Chip Engelland of the Spurs would help him, then he might climb up to 1 or 2.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Rondo also commits way too many turnovers. Me, I'm putting Nash ahead of Rondo. Rondo definitely holds the edge on D and the boards, although I'm not looking for rebounding out of a point guard (unless the point guard happens to be named Magic). Sometimes the Celtics get bogged down on offense - can you imaging Nash leading the fast breaks and running the offense of the Celtics? Now that would be fun!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rondo also commits way too many turnovers. Me, I'm putting Nash ahead of Rondo. Rondo definitely holds the edge on D and the boards, although I'm not looking for rebounding out of a point guard (unless the point guard happens to be named Magic). Sometimes the Celtics get bogged down on offense - can you imaging Nash leading the fast breaks and running the offense of the Celtics? Now that would be fun!

Ron

Call it immaturity .. Remember , Magic had not much of a jump shot either in the beginning. When you have a point guard that can rebound. It translate into an offenive and defensive nightmare. The Kid ROnjo, should be given the team.. Here's your team.. LEad it to Championship.. AS long as he has to defer to anyone.. He will be hesitant some .. Great Point Guard needs to know , its their show... Derron Williams is good, better than Ronjo .. I doubt it .. And Peolpe look closely at Derrick Rose .. All the making of a great player ...
This said, Magic remains The player I would choose over any other to start a team... The best point guard in the History of the game ...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Well, there never has been a 6'9" point guard in the league of Magic Johnson to come after him. With eyes not only in front, to the sides, and even behind him, he is a unique PG ever to grace the basketball world. He was unselfish without an 'ego' of modern day 'superstars' like LeBron, but he had pride and a philosophy that basketball is a team game. On his first year, he 'blended' with an already iconic Jabbar to win a world title. I didn't see an ego then, I saw a burning desire and tremendous intensity to make his team a winner. I don't think he cared if the Lakers were Jabbar's team or his team - he just need the team to win the final score as much as he can. The present crop of PG has that much to learn from his attitude, imo. Of the top ten, I'd pick Nash as the closest to Magic.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Well, there never has been a 6'9" point guard in the league of Magic Johnson to come after him. With eyes not only in front, to the sides, and even behind him, he is a unique PG ever to grace the basketball world. He was unselfish without an 'ego' of modern day 'superstars' like LeBron, but he had pride and a philosophy that basketball is a team game. On his first year, he 'blended' with an already iconic Jabbar to win a world title. I didn't see an ego then, I saw a burning desire and tremendous intensity to make his team a winner. I don't think he cared if the Lakers were Jabbar's team or his team - he just need the team to win the final score as much as he can. The present crop of PG has that much to learn from his attitude, imo. Of the top ten, I'd pick Nash as the closest to Magic.
Very thought provoking post. I think I agree with you. Nash is the closest to Magic. That is very, very high praise.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Agree. Nash has passed Stockton in my book.

Hard to find fault with that listing. Chris Paul really is something else. Who was his NCAA rival? That guy was good but sort of disappeared after an injury or at least was never the same again. Gawd. What's his name?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing