Vibration Isolation Table - Help please

ts27

Nov 26, 2013
Lancashire UK
Hello there all, I am new to the forum so please excuse my weak knowledge & if i am on the wrong site or place please tell me.

I was wondering if possibly anyone could help me as you all seem knowledgeable chaps from reading :).

I am currently a student and I have been given a task to design & manufacture a vibration isolation table.
I wondered if anyone has any past experience with these and could give me some help possibly?
The vibration table has to be good enough to use surface mapping equipment on it.

My knowledge is very basic and any design ideas or anything that would be of use will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading, hope you are not all too bored with my problem.

Kindest Regards

Thomas Snaylam
FD - Computer Aided Design at UCLAN University

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Thomas and welcome to the WBF. I went ahead and moved your post into a new thread so that we can stay on topic on the other one and so that your inquiry doesn't get lost in the middle of a 55 page thread.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have lots of experience using all sorts of tables but not actually building them. I certainly have no knowledge of surface mapping equipment and what level of isolation they require. I would think however that when it comes to vibration control for Audio this site has the biggest chance of finding you a member who might be able to help. Good luck!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
It is a complex subject with the solution very dependent upon the application. You need to know the target size and weight, resolution of the mapping system, sample rate and total scan duration, etc. to define the parameters for the isolation table. I have built some small ones for various purposes through the years, but for starters I suggest you go to a site like Kinetics and read about their offerings: http://www.kineticsystems.com/

There are many other resources on the 'net -- Google. There are of course books on the subject, but they may be hard to find and are expensive since it is very much a niche field. I do not recall any off-hand, may be able to check tonight when I get home.

ts27

Nov 26, 2013
Lancashire UK
Problem: TS150

Thank you for the warm welcome, it does make it so much easier when everyone seems to be really decent people :)

Thank you for that. The table has to hold a TS150 manufactured by Table Stable I have read a few posts and it seems to be a popular topic. The Max capacity it should hold really is 200kg & 600mm x 600mm on the top. The TS150 made by table stable has a capacity of 150kg so including the active vibration isolator this seems a good figure, the TS150 also is 400mmx450mm so 600 x 600 seems a good place to work from unless people think differently.
This is the piece of equipment that does the surface mapping http://www.ccmr.cornell.edu/facilities/images/fac_equipment/MicroXam specs.pdf

I am not brilliant in regards to any knowledge within surface mapping.

Thank you all for reading!

theophile

Have you considered designing an isolation platform which sat atop the Stable Table?

ts27

Nov 26, 2013
Lancashire UK
Testing / Equation for resonant frequency

This is not really an option I am afraid due to them setting me the task of doing a Vibration isolation table I cannot via off from that idea.

Although i am in real need of finding the calculation/ equation for Resonant Frequency of anyone knows this?

Secondly i need to test for vibrations in the room where the vibration isolation table will stand then i can put the results found into the resonant frequency equation so it shows a result that i can work from to design an adequate VIT. Does anyone have an idea of how to do this? My idea was placing a mirror on the floor then a specific distance away placing an active vibration system with a laser pen on that could shine onto the mirror giving an indeaction of how much vibration is in the room?
Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thank you for reading

Kind Regards

Thomas

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
ts27 ... can't really help you, but I do know that within the medical industry, they utilized vibration isolation devices based on specific requirements. They're very expensive, but I did read somewhere (?) about them being used within an audio application. I have no link to offer, but perhaps a search in regard to medical might help?

tb1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing