Problem with Cartridges

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
HP once said in one of his cartridge surveys, and I paraphrase since that issue is somewhere in storage, "if these cartridges are supposed to represent the sound of real music, how come they sound so different?" I always thought that showed some great insight.

So what goes? Are today's cartridges any better in this regard? Or is this just a continuing trend of all the other gear in our systems?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I think most reasonable people would agree that the most colored devices in our reproduction chain are the transducers. In our case, that would be the speakers and the phono cartridge. Want to change the sound of your system in a big way? Change the speakers and you will change the entire sound of your system. Changing your cartridge will also have a big impact, but not as big as changing your biggest transducer. Speakers don't sound alike, cartridges don't sound alike, and neither do microphones. They all have the same goal, but they all tell a different version of the truth. One could argue if anything has really gotten better in audio in the last 50 years. We are seeing a return to 50+ year old turntables now. Vacuum tube circuits haven't really changed much in over 50 years regardless of manufactuer hype-they are all pretty much variations on a theme. Passive parts have gotten better so we are told while others would even debate that point. Even if phono cartridges have gotten better, there hasn't been a convergence of how they sound from one brand to another and probably there never will be.
Mark

Last edited:

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
My cartridge (Grado, Sonata) takes some playing to warm up, three sides of an LP (1-1/2).

I have no idea why. Maybe there is a little band in there just warming up.

The cartridge definitely is a huge factor, spent more on it (1.5X) than the table.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
Dear Mep: ++++++ " One could argue if anything has really gotten better in audio in the last 50 years. " +++++ Agree.

Everyone has his own opinion about. IMHO analog audio areas like: tonearms, TT and phono cartridges almost has no significant advance. Where I think we have serious advances are in : loudspeakers, cables, room treatment, SS electronics, passive parts and audiophile audio knowledge. Even reviewers goes not up but IMHO down.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing