audio jack dust covers

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Are people here using covers over unused inputs and outputs? If so, just inputs or outputs also? And if on inputs, shorting or non-shorting? And does anyone feel different brands ofcovers are sonically different?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Can you say audio nervosa? If you have unused jacks on your preamp that are causing you to lose sleep because you think they are either leaking out some magic or they are letting in the audio gremlins, just use some RCA shorting plugs.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Can you say audio nervosa? If you have unused jacks on your preamp that are causing you to lose sleep because you think they are either leaking out some magic or they are letting in the audio gremlins, just use some RCA shorting plugs.

Isn't that what Rbbert is talking about?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not using any, but I've heard it said it makes difference. To what I don't and I'm not sure I could hear it anyway.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm not using any, but I've heard it said it makes difference. To what I don't and I'm not sure I could hear it anyway.
Which is why I was asking for anyone's experience. This has to be one of the least expensive tweaks out there, and so very cost-effective if there's any sonic benefit. Maybe it's too inexpensive to interest very many posters here :confused:

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Isn't that what Rbbert is talking about?

Kinda sorta. He wants to know whether to use RCA jack condoms or shorting plugs or whether to use either of them. I would go for shorting plugs. I think Rat Shack used to sell them, but you can always buy some cheap RCA male connectors and solder a wire from the input to ground and plug them in. Of course someone would swear they could hear the difference between a $100 WBT RCA male vs. a $2.00 Switchcraft RCA male used as a shorting plug.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've used shorting plugs such as you describe for 20 some years; I'm never sure they do much, if anything at all, but they're essentially free. So do they do more than non-shorting plugs, and/or do the slightly more expensive ones (which are still pretty cheap, anywhere from ~$2.50 to ~$8.50 apiece) do any better?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
When you say your never sure if the shorting plugs "do much," I think you mean your not sure if you hear any difference. I can promise you that shorting plugs are doing much more than slip on covers could ever do. Shorting plugs are simply shorting the input (or output) of a respective jack to ground. That means no signal (or noise) will pass through the jack. Slip on jack covers can't do that and just act as some sort of external shield for EMI/RFI intrusion (you hope). Unless you live in a very active EMI/RFI environment, you may never hear any type of difference when you use shorting plugs or slip on covers. As far as more expensive shorting plugs doing a "better" job, I said that as a joke that some people will swear they can hear a difference between a $100 WBT and a $2.00 Switchcraft. Your either shorting to ground or you are not. The whole goal is to not have the jack in your signal path by virtue of shorting it out. Can you hear a difference for something that is effectively not there?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Mark, the slipon covers for inputs are shorting jacks, the ones for ouputs aren't. As far as whether materials, design, etc. make a difference, many people have used the same argument against audiophile power cords in particular, also interconnects, speaker wire, etc.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark, the slipon covers for inputs are shorting jacks, the ones for ouputs aren't. As far as whether materials, design, etc. make a difference, many people have used the same argument against audiophile power cords in particular, also interconnects, speaker wire, etc.

They are either a shorting plug or they are not. If you think the design, construction, cost, cryo treatment, etc. will make a shorting plug sound "better" than a simple cheap shorting plug, by all means go and buy some expensive RCA plugs and try it out. These will do nicely: http://www.partsconnexion.com/product9716.html

Make sure you buy some really expensive hook-up wire to make the connection with and only use the finest silver solder as that will all make a difference too. Here are some links for wire and solder:

http://www.partsconnexion.com/MUNDORF-72180.html

http://www.partsconnexion.com/solder_mundorf_supreme.html

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I have used the non-shorting "caps" on the inputs and outputs on my preamp, amp, and CDP.

Clearly audible and highly recommended.

One of the cheapest, best tweaks I've ever done.

GG

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have used the non-shorting "caps" on the inputs and outputs on my preamp, amp, and CDP.

Clearly audible and highly recommended.

One of the cheapest, best tweaks I've ever done.

GG

Thanks for the info. I think yours is the first constructive response in this thread.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
A couple of comments.

1) Had a non audio type with me when we did the A-B test. I fully agree that this falls into the "voodoo" category. We both heard the difference (and it was not so subtle), that being a noticeable lowering of the noise floor along with the requisite benefits thereof. Yes, you can argue "expectation bias". If anyone chooses to do this, I will not engage. Another phenomena that we are all pretty familiar with, I trust. You don't know how much inherent background noise you have in your system (however small it may be) until you do something that lowers that level.

2) Can purchase these at Music Direct and Audio Advisors. Both offer a 30 day money back option. Try and if you don't think they make a difference, simply return. FYI, I bought the Cardas caps.

GG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
A couple of comments.

1) Had a non audio type with me when we did the A-B test. I fully agree that this falls into the "voodoo" category. We both heard the difference (and it was not so subtle), that being a noticeable lowering of the noise floor along with the requisite benefits thereof. Yes, you can argue "expectation bias". If anyone chooses to do this, I will not engage. Another phenomena that we are all pretty familiar with, I trust. You don't know how much inherent background noise you have in your system (however small it may be) until you do something that lowers that level.

2) Can purchase these at Music Direct and Audio Advisors. Both offer a 30 day money back option. Try and if you don't think they make a difference, simply return. FYI, I bought the Cardas caps.

GG

Did you see this?

http://hifi-unlimited.blogspot.com/2010/06/cap-wars-rca-caps-shoot-out-cardas-vs.html

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I saw it. Still doesn't really tell me anything.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I saw it. Still doesn't really tell me anything.
Really? It tells me it's certainly worth some experimentation with the cheaper ones, like Cardas, to compare to my DIY freebie shorting plugs I've got in there now.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Really? It tells me it's certainly worth some experimentation with the cheaper ones, like Cardas, to compare to my DIY freebie shorting plugs I've got in there now.

Look, please experiment and report your findings. That article said you needed to mix and match because too many of one type dulled the sound and if you came up with a combo mix then everything was great. I was not impressed.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Look, please experiment and report your findings. That article said you needed to mix and match because too many of one type dulled the sound and if you came up with a combo mix then everything was great. I was not impressed.
You read more into it than I did, I guess. It's like most reviews, just a starting point; they measured a difference and heard a difference, so some personal listening is next. Can't make decisions based on a single review by unknown reviewers. Unlike some investigations, though, this one is relatively cheap and convenient, even more so than cable comparisons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing