Wanted: Entry Level Turntable

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm looking for a nice starter turntable so I can give vinyl a try. Since this is my first foray into this, I'm not looking to spend a fortune. I've been watching my local craigslist, thrift, and pawn shops for quite some time but have come up empty handed. Vintage or newer, working or not, I'll consider anything. :)

Matt

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Here are 3

VPI Traveler
Clearaudio Concept
Rega 3

If those are too rich for your blood.... just look at Pro-Ject or Music Hall

These come with arms/cartridges.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Buy a better table than you think you want. Provided a good setup on your first table, you will end up wanting a better one including carts, tonearms, phono pre's...You save more money in the long run buying better than what you think you need. The Clearaudio Concept is a good option for a first table. You have been forewarned...;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Buy a better table than you think you want. Provided a good setup on your first table, you will end up wanting a better one including carts, tonearms, phono pre's...You save more money in the long run buying better than what you think you need. The Clearaudio Concept is a good option for a first table. You have been forewarned...;)

I think the AF1 would make a great entry-level turntable.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I would suggest a turntable with a suspension - because what you then put it on matters less than with a non-suspended turntable. If you have a proper rack to put it on, then want to go through trying different things (look at what Johnny Vinyl has done with regards cheap tweaks to make a turntable sound better), then non-suspended should be OK.

The cheapest suspended turntable I have direct experience with is the Thorens TD295 Mk II. For a couple of hundred bucks more, the TD209 is much better.

Disclaimer - I showed with Thorens during the recent RMAF, so you should regard Thorens as a friendly manufacturer to me.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a small budget (~$500) so most of your suggestions are well out of my reach at this point. I was hoping someone had an old turntable sitting around that they were willing to sell, so I don't have to resort to ebay and hope the seller packs it correctly.

From what I've been reading, most new budget turntables are pretty mediocre, so I think my best bet is to find a nice vintage table or a newer second hand model.

The Thorens TD295 Mk II is a gorgeous table and I would love to find one. I'll put it on my list of contenders.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I paid less than $850 for my Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE that included a Grado Reference Platinum cartridge. The TT itself was only 2 years old and listed for $2,000, plus the Grado was $350. I got lucky I'll admit, but there are really good deals out there if you're willing to invest the time and effort into finding one.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I paid less than $850 for my Nottingham Analogue Horizon SE that included a Grado Reference Platinum cartridge. The TT itself was only 2 years old and listed for $2,000, plus the Grado was $350. I got lucky I'll admit, but there are really good deals out there if you're willing to invest the time and effort into finding one.

It sounds like you found a great deal! I'm rather patient when it comes to finding good deals on audio equipment. If I run across something that is too good to pass up that's a little more than my budget, I'll consider it. As I said before, I really don't want to spend a ton because I'm not sure that I'll get into it or not; my guess is that I will. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It sounds like you found a great deal! I'm rather patient when it comes to finding good deals on audio equipment. If I run across something that is too good to pass up that's a little more than my budget, I'll consider it. As I said before, I really don't want to spend a ton because I'm not sure that I'll get into it or not; my guess is that I will. :)

Glad to hear that you're patient, because I am as well and it's paid off for me. Since you are patient and you already suspect that you'll get into it, I'd set my budget a tad higher than the $500. Once you find something you can do some things to make it sound even better for a few extra dollars.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Thanks Mep! I was literally just eying up that CJ Walker and doing some research on it. It sounds kind of interesting but so far I'm finding very little info about it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
One of those tables is a Rega which they claim has never been out of the box. For the money, I don't know how you could go wrong.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
That one is an auction with 2 days left. I will keep an eye on it, but the seller does have a reserve that hasn't been met at it's current bid of $328+ shipping (new retail is $445).

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
That one is an auction with 2 days left. I will keep an eye on it, but the seller does have a reserve that hasn't been met at it's current bid of $328+ shipping (new retail is $445).

Good luck, you can't go wrong there (assuming a fair seller). Ask more questions, people here want to help.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did you ever consider a Technics SL-1200 Mk2? Weak link is the mat but that's something easily replaced. Slap on an Ortofon 2M variant and you should have some fun times with Jazz, Rock, Blues, R&B and Pop. You may miss a lot of nuances for more intricate compositions but you'll have a great deal of boogie on tap.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Yes I have. There was a really nice one listed somewhat locally for $250 that I missed, and I'm still kicking myself for not picking it up. The guy was also selling a reel to reel, which come to find out, was an incredible deal. Since there really isn't anything available locally, I would probably have to source one from ebay. Again, I'd rather not buy off of ebay since it is such a risk that the seller is being honest with the description and then packing the table correctly.

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
There are a number of after market upgrades/modifications available for the Rega 3/300.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I ended up finding a mint, one owner Pioneer PL-530 semi-locally to me on Sunday for a good price. The owner was gracious enough to throw in ten vintage rock LPs to get my collection started. While it's no SOTA turntable, I think this is just the ticket to get my feet wet. Once I retire this table, it should pair perfectly with my Pioneer SX-780.

I am visiting some family in the city for Thanksgiving where I plan to check out a few record and used book stores to see if I can start expanding my LP collection.

I appreciate everyone's input, and I'm sure I'll be back when I look to upgrade. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I ended up finding a mint, one owner Pioneer PL-530 semi-locally to me on Sunday for a good price. The owner was gracious enough to throw in ten vintage rock LPs to get my collection started. While it's no SOTA turntable, I think this is just the ticket to get my feet wet. Once I retire this table, it should pair perfectly with my Pioneer SX-780.

I am visiting some family in the city for Thanksgiving where I plan to check out a few record and used book stores to see if I can start expanding my LP collection.

I appreciate everyone's input, and I'm sure I'll be back when I look to upgrade. :)

Good luck Matt. Let us know how it sounds when you get it set up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing