On the DMC-15SS

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been auditioning the Spectral DMC15 SS preamp. I have been looking for a great SS preamp around $5k. The DMC15 SS has everything I'm looking for in a preamp. I took home a new DMC15SS for an audition and spent 3 days with the preamp. It had a very dark closed in almost choked presentation. Does this choked presentation open up after a prolonged break in period? Perhaps this presentation is just an effect of the new Super fader technology. I must say that I love the design and engineering principles behind Spectral, but could not come to grips with the presentation. If anyone has long term experience with the 30SS or 15SS please let me know your thoughts. My current preamp is a Nagra PL-L that is long in the tooth and needs service. My amp is a Nagra PSA that has adjustable input of 1v or 2v. I noted the Spectral preamps have a 1.6v output.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi dan31,

I presume that the DMC 15SS you took home to audition must be a demo unit and should have already been broken in. I suspect there is some mismatch somewhere along the chain.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Well I demoed an all spectral system and the DMC 15SS was very good in the all spectral system. I'm considering a switch to all Spectral. Has anyone had experiences with the difference in the 330 and 350 series ic's as well as the 750 and 770 speaker cables. I would rather buy it once and buy it right. Thanks!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Get the 350 UL Series II and the 770 UL Series II and you will probably be done forever. Spectral haven't re-spec'ed these cables probably since 2000 because it's probably not necessary. I had the 330 and 750's long long ago and would not go back.
One thing to consider about the DMC-15SS (and previous revisions): the protection circuit is in the signal path, and you may want the parallel version of it as in the DMC-30 series (and -20). It can color the sound, as it is an active circuit.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I did hear a listen to the 30SS and it is an improvement (it should be for double the cost). i was considering the new DMA-260, evidently it's quite the amplifier. I will listen to it in 2 weeks. I have a limited budget and the 30SS is pushing me past my number and would take the 260 out of conderation and make the 200S a must. I could upgrade to the 30SS later or pick up a used 30S at a later date. Thank you for your advice!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes the DMA-260 is rumored to be quite indeed the amplifier. I will be listening to it shortly. Just keep in mind finding any used DMC-30SL and especially SS preamps is going to be rather difficult. The 15SS will serve you well, just won't be the best. I had a bried listen to the 200S and didn't like it at all...

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi dan31,

There is no such thing as buy it once and buy it right in this hobby. If I may suggest, buy the most expensive MIT cable that you can afford. These cables can be used with other brands if you do not go the Spectral route. There are good sonic dividends in investing in better MIT cables. Also, you should experiment with the MIT power cords as they do make another significant improvement on Spectral electronics' performance.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have placed an order for the DMC-30SS and DMA260. I wanted to thank everyone for their responses to my questions. Spectral owners are a rare bunch and this is the only forum specific to the manufacturer.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Spectral owners are a rare bunch and this is the only forum specific to the manufacturer.

And that is so unfortunate. Spectral gears are iMHO amongst the best SS and in that inflated High End Audio market one of the better value .. Enjoy your new system. May I ask what speakers you will use with these ?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Frantz,

I will be using Harbeth M40.1 and Dynaudio Special 25's. I wanted to go all soild state and not worry about any future speaker requirements. I listen nearfield and just loved the definition and lack of grain with the Spectral components.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi dan31,

Congratulations on your acquisition. Hope to read your posts on your impressions of the Spectral/Harbeth combination.

kee

Sep 15, 2010
Hi Dan31,

I am currently also deciding between Spectral DMC-30SS and DMC-15SS. I had only the chance to test DMC-30ss at home and very impressed by it. However, I am thinking of saving $ by going with DMC-15SS, since I do not need the XLR and remote control features. Could you share what are improvements in sound quality of DMC-30SS over DMC-15SS. Till I found out from this forum, I thought DMC-15SS is a DMC-30SS without remote and XLR and there are no differences in sound quality.

Tks,
Kee

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Hi Kee,

I don't have the 30SS yet so I cannot give you a detailed evaluation. In my auditon the 30SS offered greater transparecy and air. We are talking subtle differences. I did want the balanced input for my phono stage and having a remote is always nice. The 15SS was fine and I could have easly lived with the 15SS. I decided that the upgrade bug would bite in a year or two so I just sucked it up and decided to grab the 30SS. Good luck with the 15SS if you decide to purchase.

Dan

kee

Sep 15, 2010
Hi Kee,

I don't have the 30SS yet so I cannot give you a detailed evaluation. In my auditon the 30SS offered greater transparecy and air. We are talking subtle differences. I did want the balanced input for my phono stage and having a remote is always nice. The 15SS was fine and I could have easly lived with the 15SS. I decided that the upgrade bug would bite in a year or two so I just sucked it up and decided to grab the 30SS. Good luck with the 15SS if you decide to purchase.

Dan

Thanks for the sharing.

Kee

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
How does the DMC 20 sound?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The DMC-20 is a fine preamp but quite different in character than the current DMC-30SS or SL. I had a '20 and when I plugged in the 30SL the difference in clarity was easily discernible. The '20 sounds a bit diffuse and dark, while the '30 sounds to be very focused. Make sure you audition before you buy.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi mep,

There is the original DMC 20 and then there is the DMC 20 series 2. Both are very dynamic and pack a severely weighted wallop. The original DMC 20 has lots of gain, is full range in the strongest sense of the term, and can really resolve low frequency detail. The series 2 is a civilized creature with a fuller midrange and reduced gain. Sonically, both of these will be greatly benefitted when used with an MIT Oracle AC 2 power cord.

kee

Sep 15, 2010
Hi Kee,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I just ordered a DMC-30SS. Now waiting eagerly for the item to arrive. Home trial the DMC30SS. The transparency is hard to forget. Like you, I decided to get the DMC30SS to avoid the upgrade bug:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing