"The 12 Most Significant Loudspeakers of All Time."

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another speaker that I personally never liked but was nonetheless (and continue to be) successful is the BW 801 ... The English sound but with cojones ... Rather a significant speaker wouldn't you say?

I liked the B&W 801 Series III enough (while attending the first HK Hi-End Audio show in the early90s) to actually ordering a pair from the local dealer here. I had heard both the Series 1 & 2, and though they were good, the APOC protection circuit had always been the caveat in its design as I had read from its reviews. This protection ironically limits the power from the amp and made even a 250 watt FM Acoustic amp gasp in driving the Series 2. The S3 did away with the APOC and the result was a very open and dynamic sound. Yes, they had 'cojones', and lots of it. LOL They are virtually indestructible with any material from Telarc and they were fun to listen to and listen to with confidence; something I couldn't say with the Spica TC 50s even with their own powered woofers. What I liked most about them is the ability of their mid/high 'head' units to swivel in or out for best toe-in adjustment while maintaining the bass unit to be 'fixed' or firing straight. This works beautifully in recreating a nice soundstage and focused imaging.. The provided metal stands are a must (some friends confirmed this with me as well) for lesser bass boom though I admit they look better without them. Since a lot of recording studios in the UK used them as 'monitors', I guess their design would be 'significant' as well in the history of loudspeakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You liked them enough to Pony up for the 800s ;)

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The 801s are still used at Abbey Road Studios (AFAIK) and B&W is also used at SkyWalker Sound (George Lucas' place) as well as other studios. Preferences, of course, are all over the place. I enjoy my 801Ds, but don't think that they are unsurpassable.

If use in large professional studios can qualify a speaker as being "important", then the B&W might be included in that list.

Lee

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You liked them enough to Pony up for the 800s ;)

Well, yeah, Jack. Used the 800s for about 4 years, and learned a lot about big woofers, LOL. Toe-ing them in requires at least 2 people, and one time my helper resigned after helping me toe them in. LOL. No ball casters then, just old fashioned pointy screw in spikes. It made me tired. :)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I am surprised there is no metion of Altec at all. The Lansing Iconic was the original speaker that defined the 15" compression driver monitor format. That format soldiers on to this day. The Altec 604 series was the defacto monitor all they way into the 70's and contiuned to be a factor into the 80's being used in the Urie Monitors, Bid Reds and so on. Then you have the VOTT that defined movie sound for decades. None of these made the cut??

Rob:)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
None.. But always curious to try the Magicos, I am as well shocked to see them and the MBL surrounded of such a good company...

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
The only pair of speakers on that list that I have ever owned were the Dahlquist DQ-10's.

Someone mentioned they were surprised that the Altec 604 wasn't on the list. I agree that Altec should be on that list, but I would submit the A7 Voice of the Theater. It seems like almost every movie house in the world had these at one time.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've owned Double Advents and the Rogers BBC monitor. I do think the Acoustat X belongs on the list as the first practical full-range electrostatic.

I've never heard any stereo speaker set-up reproduce a spatial sound field the way Beveridge's do. They don't play loudly or have much bass, but for imaging and mid-range transparency they are hard to match.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Re-reading this thread I think that the Quad ESL63 should belong to this list. There is nothing in common between the ESL 57 and the 63, except being electrostatics and the great Peter Walker. The ESL63 was a revolutionary speaker - it mimicked a point source using an elaborate crossover circuit and circular segmented electrodes.

I have owned both - even a double stack of ESL57. After living some years with the ESL63 I bought a pair of ESL57 again, as they became fashionable, but could not go back. If you accept the bottom frequencies limitation and the power ceiling of the Quad ESL63 (or its current successor the ESL2805) they are hard to beat.

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, the Quad ESL57 should be included for sure - still a joyous speaker to own 54 years after it first entered production. Also for inclusion should be the Quad ESL63 - now (with its successors) in production for 30 years having culminated in the Quad ESL 2805s and 2905s which are probably viewed as the practical realisation of the original design.

Ernest F

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto Area
Way back in the 1970's, when most of the listed speakers were around, there was another "star" mnamed Dayton Wright, named after Mike Wright. It was a gas-filled electrostatic design one would have to drive with a couple of Crown 300 amps or the Amzilla amp to get them singing — and sing they did. Later, it was discovered that almost all speakers developed a gas leak, that could be "fixed" only by the company and turned out to be a lot of inconvenience and outright hassle. The Kef 104 should also be in the line-up. Another honourable mention should include the ESS Heil spedakers (I don't remember their model name or number) — an then there was the JBL 100 that sounded just great when connected to a McIntosh amp.

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
I think Watt should be kicked off the list in favour of B&W 801 too. Beveridge also crossed my mind if the list really reflects different ideas. And on that note I think a Sonab/Carlsson could be on such a list too, don't know which one had most international impact, though.

Last edited:

marc360

Jan 2, 2013
Best speakers I ever heard are old polish vintage Unitra Tonsil Zg30c201 speakers. Amazing sound and only 30 Watts.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I certainly agree with the presence of speaker #8 on their list!

They have power, transparency, resolution and realism.

They totally disappear in the room. Sonically that is. :D

Dirty Larry

Jan 12, 2013
I have owned several on the list, and IMHO DCM's Time windows deserve mention as well.

Arguably the most impressive sound for the money I have ever owned - and the first pair of speakers I ever bought when I wasn't shopping for speakers.

In fact, I was so impressed that I stopped on the way home and also picked up the demo CD - Dire straits, Love over gold - in an effort to fully replicate the experience. (No, I wasn't stoned.)

At the time I was running maggies with a DH200 in a smallish room and there was simply no comparison.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing