Tube amps for Alexia's

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I've been reading the various Alexia reviews and it seems that the preference is for solid state. I like to have both solid state and tubes and switch back and forth. I've decided on the solid state amps (D'Agostino) - but I can't decide what to get for the tube amps to pair with my Alexia's. Doshi is an obvious option. Any others? McIntosh 275 mk6?

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
ARC REF 150 should work well with the Alexias.

Didn't you post that you were going with Magico S5s?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I heard the ARC Ref 150's with the Alexia's and it was exquisite !

That or the Doshi 160 monos. Those are the only tubes I'd feed the beasts.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

why not ARC Ref 250?

Luke Manley shows his VTL's with the Alexia

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Interesting. I've owned the 250's. They had gobs of power - but aren't your classic tubey sound.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Really? Why not cj ART? Drives stats with no issues. cj also uses Wilson speakets in designing their gear.

I think VAC might also be a nice partner too.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Really? Why not cj ART? Drives stats with no issues..

Because Myles, I am not going to recommend something I have never heard personally. Others give opinions on equipment they've only heard anecdotal comments about, not me.

cj and VAC may be the best thing you can drive a Wilson with. Have you actually heard Alexia's being driven by cj ART? If you have, where?

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I have plenty to think about. I look forward to CES and hearing a few different tube amps.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Because Myles, I am not going to recommend something I have never heard personally. Others give opinions on equipment they've only heard anecdotal comments about, not me.

cj and VAC may be the best thing you can drive a Wilson with. Have you actually heard Alexia's being driven by cj ART? If you have, where?

Then you need to add the caveat, "in my system." Your statement was rather exclusive. And if I was shopping, they'd be high atop my list.

I do seem to remember someone mentioning a pair of cj being at Wilson?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Then you need to add the caveat, "in my system." Your statement was rather exclusive.

My comment is what I've heard with the Alexia's. This could be at a friend's house, at a show, at a dealer or in my system. I can only make recommendations on what I have personally heard!

When I was at Wilson last month, I didn't see any cj equipment there, nor have I even seen it displayed at a show. Thus, I can not recommend it!

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Then you need to add the caveat, "in my system." Your statement was rather exclusive. And if I was shopping, they'd be high atop my list.

I do seem to remember someone mentioning a pair of cj being at Wilson?

Wilson Audio currently has (and has had) many different brands of various electronics at the factory. I am not 100% positive, but I am very inclined to say yes to either having them or had at one point CJ at the factory.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
I've heard the Alexia with ARC Ref 150 and the results were exceptional in a large size listening room at the local dealer. The rest of the chain was ARC Ref 5SE, REF CD9, and the results were very musical. Cables were latest Shunyata top of the line interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords.

I ordered my pair of Alexia after the Wilson / D'Agostino event that I posted last week and will be running them in a slightly smaller room with Ref 210s modified by ARC to use KT120s.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I am currently listening to them with the REF150 and it sounds really great. I was astonished how energetic it sounded compared to other speakers I have used with the REF150 until I read in the Stereophile that the Alexia are over 91dB/W - it explains why I am needing a lower setting in the preamplifier volume.

PAF

Jan 8, 2013
Wilson Audio currently has (and has had) many different brands of various electronics at the factory. I am not 100% positive, but I am very inclined to say yes to either having them or had at one point CJ at the factory.

I believe the reverse has also been true - cj has had Wilson speakers at their headquarters if I'm not mistaken. cj has partnered with Wilson at NYC shows in the past as well. And plenty of enthusiasts have married the two brands because of the great sound...including me. The cj ART and GAT units were, and are, a reasonably popular combination with Wilson speakers, even if the impression is perhaps that they are less seen together now than in the past.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I believe the reverse has also been true - cj has had Wilson speakers at their headquarters if I'm not mistaken. cj has partnered with Wilson at NYC shows in the past as well. And plenty of enthusiasts have married the two brands because of the great sound...including me. The cj ART and GAT units were, and are, a reasonably popular combination with Wilson speakers, even if the impression is perhaps that they are less seen together now than in the past.

Not sure now but at one time I think cj had Alexandrias?

And before that Bill and Lew had the Synthesis speakers that they tried to market a long time ago :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Not sure now but at one time I think cj had Alexandrias?

And before that Bill and Lew had the Synthesis speakers that they tried to market a long time ago :)

Yes, they had the very first X1/Grand Slamms according to Ed at CJ, who retired a few years ago,...and I have the photo of their listening room which had the newer Grand Slamms in it as well. Transparent Audio, CJ and Wilson Grand Slamms were one of a number of regular triumvirates at Wilson, CJ and Transparent in their respective listening rooms many years ago as I understand. Transparent now have the XLFs, but I don't know if they still have a CJ amp among the amps they have there.

Martin Colloms review of the Grand Slamm from many, many years ago, also had particularly positive things to say about the CJ Premier 12, Transparent Cable and the Grand Slamms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing