Raw pet food?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sounds like a lot of work to me. My three dogs (female Australian Shepard/German Shepard mutt, male Golden Labrador, female Siberian Husky) lived on dry dog food. Two died of old age (17 years), the Siberian Husky developed liver cancer, but I doubt it was the dog food. My current four cats (one from the shelter, three ferals I caught in the back yard) are doing just fine on Frieskes Surf and Turf, and Seafood Sensations. I do give them a taste of raw hamburger and tuna when I make it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have had two dogs a Doberman and Shepard three cats one of which is a Bengal on this diet only problems have been old age. I would not go back to dog or cat food the only time the get it is kibble if I am out of town. I have only two cats at the present time they eat better than I do.

I think Bengals are a breed that can benefit as well as with a grain free diet. :)

image.jpg

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Hehe :). There is quite a cult out there to feed dogs raw food by purchasing cheaper meats from butcher and such. Our vet doesn't have a problem with the dog eating it but says we might get sick from it. I have been researching it and people say it is a myth. And that dog's saliva is antibacterial and that it is liable to lick its you know what anyway. So chances of picking up disease from the dog licking you and such does not increase.

Zoonoses are certainly possible, but viral diseases are less likely than bacterial infections from species to species.

As far as getting an infection from raw food you would feed your dog or cat food is concerned, it is about the same as getting an infection from raw food you are preparing to eat for yourself.

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
Noonan1.jpg
Noonan, my 5 year old 70 lb. boxer mix gets 2 cups Kirkland (Costco) Adult dry food, either the Lamb or Chicken/Vegetable/Rice mix 2x/day. Evening meal he gets 2 raw eggs (our own free range fertile) mixed in. He is extremely healthy, athletic, and abounds with energy. Living on a ranch, he finds free range cattle bones, and brings them home to chew. His teeth are totally self cleaned, and spotless.

With a minimum of 45 minutes/day intensive off leash steep trail hiking, both he and I (at least reasonably so for a 70 y/o)
are extremely fit. He runs like a deer and probably covers twice the mileage I do!

Last edited:

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
If feeding raw, one thing to take note of, is that in the wild, cats (and I presume doggy ancestors too) would not only eat the muscle meat but the organs as well. Back when I had dogs as a kid, we fed them "butcher odds and ends" including liver, kidney, lung, etc. etc.

The organs provide the essential nutrients that are not found in the muscle meat.

aronjt

Aug 25, 2014
I realize this is an older thread, but I researched pet food options for a family member not too long ago and found that Nature's Variety offers a raw food option. I believe they are the only pet food company to do so. You get the benefits of raw without as much of the hassle.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing