Raw pet food?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If I had a Wolf or a Tiger I'd definitely go raw otherwise if my pets wanted raw they'd have to kill their food themselves :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hehe :). There is quite a cult out there to feed dogs raw food by purchasing cheaper meats from butcher and such. Our vet doesn't have a problem with the dog eating it but says we might get sick from it. I have been researching it and people say it is a myth. And that dog's saliva is antibacterial and that it is liable to lick its you know what anyway. So chances of picking up disease from the dog licking you and such does not increase.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd consult with a vet for the specific breeds I guess. Some should be pretty hardy while others might have lines domesticated for so long that their immune systems may not be up to handling what's basically carrion. I never even thought about disease jumping from pet to owner. Hmmmmm.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Most vets are unfortunately pretty clueless about diet for dogs in general and raw especially. We've been feeding our dogs raw for over 9 years. It helps to have a nutritionist (my wife) in charge. There are a number of Internet lists for feeding raw, some breed specific.

http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Natural-N...qid=1384735210&sr=1-1&keywords=lew+olson+dogs

is an excellent introduction and resource, and she moderates the K9nutrition list.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Glad to see another vote for raw food. The breeder that we are getting the puppies from feeds all of her dogs raw food. She says she used to use kibbles but by 6-7 years old they would get diabetes and problem with the teeth. They showed me their 13 year old dogs (the breed lives to 12-15 years) and they had perfect teeth.

My wife visited a vet and she didn't raise an issue and said would research diabetes problem. But then scared her/us by saying we could get sick from exposure to raw dog food. Hence this post. I found a bunch of online articles that say this fear is unfounded.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Will buy it tonight :).

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Both my parents and my sister feed their dogs a raw diet. One of my parent's dogs is pretty much allergic to every kind of food and I know the only way it's not constantly in discomfort is by feeding it a specialized raw diet. I wish I knew more than that for you.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I fed my dog when he was a puppy raw and cooked food. He wouldn't eat dry food and still doesn't. Do a google search on the BARF diet for dogs. I now feed him a combo of cooked,canned,and fresh food. He has been allergy free and is very healthy. I will not feed him any dry food or treats given the ongoing Chinese situation. I have always been partial to good canned food because it is cooked and steralised in the can.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Roger. Is the Chinese thing not resolved yet? I remember hearing about it but not having pets I did not pay a lot of attention to it.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Last edited:

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes. I feed all the kittens I foster a mixture of raw, wet food and kibble. Reasons:

Raw - giving them a leg up in the world. Cats are obligate carnivores.
Wet - raw gets expensive (unless I make it myself) and mixing up the wet is good to create less picky eaters and also get them different proteins.
Kibble - because of the picky eater thing - gets them used to all kinds of food - you never know what their adopters will end up feeding them.

I would feed my two raw if they would eat it, but they got used to kibble (all that artificial flavorings. :( ) at the shelter before I got them and it's hard enough making them eat wet food.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Thanks Carol. Wow, it seems everyone is in favor! BTW, what is wet food? Canned?
canned or packaged; there are many different qualities of packaged moist pet food, including some that are almost raw (heat "pasteurized" rather than cooked) and there's quite a bit of controversy in the raw feeding world about how "raw" those are.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yup. Just like for yourself though, read the labels on pet food. Not all canned food is created equal. Some get the protein from vegetable matter and have corn/wheat gluten that makes up the bulk of the food. They are sneaky too. A label that boasts "meat comes first" might read "chicken, corn, meat by products, corn meal, liver, fish, corn gluten...."

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We have feed raw for about 20 years now they like it less vet bills longer life better life. I buy what ever is on sale at the market whole chickens , pork , sometimes prme rib is on sale and fish raw eggs they like it all.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
We have feed raw for about 20 years now they like it less vet bills longer life better life. I buy what ever is on sale at the market whole chickens , pork , sometimes prme rib is on sale and fish raw eggs they like it all.

Think it also depends upon the breed of cat too. :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Garth. We did put our puppies on raw food and they have been super happy and healthy. I found a local butcher that has a full catalog of raw meats for dogs and very reasonable prices. I augment that with sale items at Costco and grocery stores (asian and US). It is some work to clean up after them as they like to drag away the raw bones and such but I don't mind.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Think it also depends upon the breed of cat too. :)

I have had two dogs a Doberman and Shepard three cats one of which is a Bengal on this diet only problems have been old age. I would not go back to dog or cat food the only time the get it is kibble if I am out of town. I have only two cats at the present time they eat better than I do.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing