STILLPOINTS - ULTRA 5 under a turntable

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Don't get me wrong about this post because I'm not trying to dis any other turntable makers, or any tweak sellers, rack builders, or anything like that, but...

...a turntable that is reportedly high-end shouldn't need any tweaking. It should just sit there, and quietly do its job. That's what you paid for, right?

The whole demonstration got lost in the fervor of the moment, but I showed my turntable at RMAF with it sitting on $22 worth of IKEA junk, which was tossed in the dumpster after the show. The IKEA pieces were hollow-core with 3mm thick surfaces, if that. Anyway, the point to was to demonstrate how the deck handles isolation, even though we got caught up in the room, and forgot to mention it. I must have been right, however, because I didn't hear any complaints in that department, quite the opposite.

The more I think about it, the more I believe that it is reasonable to expect such isolation from any supposedly good turntable. If not, how does the designer know what he has when everything is said and done? If I had to worry about using tweaks, I would never know when the thing was finished. Think about it.

That's not to say that one day I may design a turntable that benefits from Stillpoints. If I do, they will come with the unit because I feel the need to control the outcome of what I make.

Disclaimer: Mileage varies, of course.

That's funny, I did not even notice the rack you were using. Your table was very,very quiet. Certainly among the top 3 tables with the lowest noise floor at the show. Another table that was very quiet was The Beat in the Xact Audio room. The rack in that room was nothing special either, although Steve does use Stillpoint Ultra 5's under his table, they are part of the design.

IME, even the best turntables still show improvements on well designed isolation platforms. Like Vibraplane, Minus-K, and Herzan.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmmm- Any TT will impart some degree of a Sonic signature with what it is placed on/or items under it--can't say I'd like the Stainless Steel inference into the Music--I'd prefer Brass -Walker/etc---I think.

BD

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hmmm- Any TT will impart some degree of a Sonic signature with what it is placed on/or items under it--can't say I'd like the Stainless Steel inference into the Music--I'd prefer Brass -Walker/etc---I think.

BD

Stillpoints do not affect the tone, they do deliver more transparency. I have the walker lead/brass weights. They don't provide anywhere near the improvement of Ultra's in my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stillpoints do not affect the tone, they do deliver more transparency. I have the walker lead/brass weights. They don't provide anywhere near the improvement of Ultra's in my system.

I really like Ultra 5s...26 so far, though I think that is actually me done since all components now have them other than Preamp and DAC which use HRS M3/Nimbus Couplers. That said, I found when under some of my electronic components...I preferred using HRS Nimbus Couplers on top of the Ultra 5s before they go under the component. I found the Ultra 5s lightened the lower mid/upper bass just a touch but enough to be disconcerting...and yet so detailed I also did not want to use any other isolation which resulted in a loss of the detail...in the end the Nimbus Couplers gave me back that 'tonal weight' in the lower mid/upper bass...and maintained all the detail, transparency for which I really really admire and like the Ultra 5. Just my two cents after a LOT of experimentation.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Fair enough--glad they work for you--I like the Stilipoints--I use them under the Amp--I have the MinusK under my TT.

BD

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You need to find an Ultraholics Anonymous meeting and soon...;)

Hah!! ;) Fortunately, all the components each now have their own 'isolation sandwich'. And I do feel like I came to understand that in my room and system, good isolation is almost like a component unto itself. With the total cost of all my isolation costing a lot, but less than the preamp, while one can 'rationalize anything'...I will say that the improvement from when I had little isolation to now is really really big, and if I hate going back to losing even 1 component's isolation...I can only imagine what it would sound like if I went ALL the way back. No thanks!!!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Cheers John
I just put the Ultra 5 under the Clearaudio Innovation but at the same time my replacement cart has arrived.They look great and in theory helpful for vibration.As I don't have super sonic hearing and memory like some I don't remember the old sound to compare with the new.They sounded Great Both Times.Ill give the sound a while to normalize my brain then if I remove the Ultra 5 and give it a spin I will have a better chance to notice a downgrade in sound.
Cheers Stump

View attachment 12789
View attachment 12790

Hey Stump.

You still using the 5's under the table? still happy?

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
I'm still happy with the stillpoints.Even though it didnt stop me with a couple more tweaks.....:cool:
Stump

PC200554.JPG

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'm still happy with the stillpoints.Even though it didnt stop me with a couple more tweaks.....:cool:
Stump

View attachment 33636

That looks awesome!! What gave the better upgrade - the 5's or the Minus K? or probably a better question - what did the Minus K do to the sound when it was added?

cheers

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
The 5's and the Minus K act differently but both act in minimizing vibration to the needle.Without going into detail the less external vibration to the needle the less smudge in the music.The smudge is hard to hear until its not there if that makes sense.Back to your question if I had to pick one then the Minus K would make the biggest difference...

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Hi Stump - yes, in terms of understanding change it is always best to make them one at a time and listen for a period of days in order to fully understand the sonic differences. I agree the best way now to single out what the Ultra 5s are doing is to listen for a period of several days, or longer, allowing the technology pockets of the Ultra 5s to settle in while also breaking in the new cartridge. Once you are sure the cartridges is broken in and you feel comfortable with your assessment of the system's sound, then take out the Ultra 5s and listen. Again, I caution against the temptation of making quick judgments over a small sample of listening time.

Hello John
I will consider adding Ultra 6 to my turntable.CA master innovation.As there is no top screw thread what would be the best fit??
Would I just put under the thread screw or take off the CA foot totally and put the Ultra 6 direct flat under the body??
Cheers Stump IMG_2250.JPG

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
IMG_2878.JPG

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Hello John
I will consider adding Ultra 6 to my turntable.CA master innovation.As there is no top screw thread what would be the best fit??
Would I just put under the thread screw or take off the CA foot totally and put the Ultra 6 direct flat under the body??
Cheers Stump View attachment 35024

Now that I see your setup I imagine you could use the point in the single-pad side in the tap hole of the pad as you have done with the U5s. Ideally, though, you would have the side with 5 pads towards the component being isolated.

John

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Now that I see your setup I imagine you could use the point in the single-pad side in the tap hole of the pad as you have done with the U5s. Ideally, though, you would have the side with 5 pads towards the component being isolated.

John

Thanks John
Going to Ultra 6 is more a luxury then necessity. Given the pads are best under the turntable.Removing the CL feet completely then sit directly on top of pads on Ultra 6 .The weight of the table without screw will work ....?
Stump

P5220100.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks John
Going to Ultra 6 is more a luxury then necessity. Given the pads are best under the turntable.Removing the CL feet completely then sit directly on top of pads on Ultra 6 .The weight of the table without screw will work ....?
Stump

View attachment 35081

you need that screw in place to keep the plinth sandwich tight, imo. I periodically have to tight all of them on both levels on my master innovation. They actually loosen/tighten depending on the season/atmospheric conditions.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
the V's under the Technics. screwed into the M6 holes where the previous feet were.

36574359881_685c0b5116_b.jpg

35878215454_3b87ef264e_b.jpg

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
the V's under the Technics. screwed into the M6 holes where the previous feet were.

View attachment 35102

View attachment 35103
Appears that the Stillpoints are screwed all the way in. I believe the factory recommends to leave a small gap between the Stillpoints and the device that they are screwed into. Did you experiment at all with that , and finally in what way did the Stillpoints improve the sound?

Cheers......

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Appears that the Stillpoints are screwed all the way in. I believe the factory recommends to leave a small gap between the Stillpoints and the device that they are screwed into. Did you experiment at all with that , and finally in what way did the Stillpoints improve the sound?

Cheers......

Not at all - here is another photo - there is a gap between the stillpoints and the bottom of the plinth. It does sound cleaner with the gap.

What does it do to the sound vs the original footers. more defined bass, better purity and clarity.

However, much like what Stump experienced - the isolation stand made a larger difference in the sound quality. Mine is a 40mm piece of granite with 4 x compressions springs for a total of around $100. This removes bloat from the bass and adds speed, dynamics and a better leading edge on instruments. On my TW table I use 6 compressions springs as its 65kg's vs 40kg's for the technics.

I experimented with the $1000 Symposium Ultra platform with and without compression springs and my $100 DIY sounded better. same with my SRA platform that also sits on the floor. If your system is a little lean, perhaps the Symposium or SRA might add some smoothness. YMMV

36465222640_1174c4f454_h.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing