Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: STILLPOINTS - ULTRA 5 under a turntable

STILLPOINTS - ULTRA 5 under a turntable

I have just ordered 3x STILLPOINTS - ULTRA 5 to put under my Clearaudio Innovation.Anyone else using this combination.My only worry is I become addicted and put them under everything including my listen chair!
    Stump

[WBF Founding Member]
    Pro Audio Production
    Member Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    I have just ordered 3x STILLPOINTS - ULTRA 5 to put under my Clearaudio Innovation.Anyone else using this combination.My only worry is I become addicted and put them under everything including my listen chair!
    Stump
    That's what Christian did!
    Bruce A. Brown
    Puget Sound Studios
    Stereomojo reviewer
    Seattle, WA

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while!

Cheers I will drop him a PM.
    Stump

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stump View Post
    Stump
    I tried them under a SME 30/12 and the experiment lasted 5 minutes. Turned the sound to a thick muddy mess.
    Speakers: The Sonus Faber (Fenice); Amplifier: Pass Labs Xs300; Preamp: ARC Ref 10; Phono Pre: ARC Ref 10 Phono; Analog: TechDAS Air Force 2, Graham 10" Elite Arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Koetsu Coralstone Platinum; Digital: Esoteric Grandioso K1; Cables: Nordost Odin; Power Conditioning: Torus 90A Wall Mount Panel, Furutech NCF outlets; Equipment Rack: HRS MXR, SRA Ohio-Class XL Plus isoBase; Room Treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Stillpoints Apertures

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank750 View Post
    I tried them under a SME 30/12 and the experiment lasted 5 minutes. Turned the sound to a thick muddy mess.
    Not surprised. Hard to mess with an already exquisitely designed and implemented suspended design. The most I would ever do with a suspended table of that caliber is provide it with a very solid and stable platform that transmits as little as possible from the floor. Oh, you did that.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Addicted to Best!
    From my experience (not with TTs at all), placement of the Ultra 5s is important. My Zanden 4-box is very finicky, and when I put 4 Ultra 5s under the Transport Powersupply, I was baffled to find everything clearer in terms of string delineation, etc...but it felt almost like everything was out of phase...imaging was all over the place, literally. I looked underneath where i'd put the Ultra 5s...and I realized I had placed them with narrow side down. I reversed them with narrow side up (directly under the Transport) and wider side on the equipment rack shelf, and it all snapped it into place.

I was warned about this by Distributor who admitted he did not know why sometimes this happens, but in this particular case, he was right. I also found it to be true with my Power Conditioner but to a much less extreme degree.

What I describe above sounds quite different from muddy...since again, certain elements like individual strings were clearer...but with the Ultra 5s 'accidentally upside down', the soundstage sure was diffuse.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
    That's what Christian did!
    Actually I did not use them under the Clearaudio as I use the Table Stable isolation platform. Short of using that, the Stillpoint Ultra 5's are a good choice or a passive device like Minus-K or Vibraplane.
    Christian

System Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    Not surprised. Hard to mess with an already exquisitely designed and implemented suspended design. The most I would ever do with a suspended table of that caliber is provide it with a very solid and stable platform that transmits as little as possible from the floor. Oh, you did that.
    That's what I thought until I tried a preloaded Vibraplane under my SME 30/12 for a total mass of 400 lbs. The SME has a great suspension, but I found that the table can indeed benefit from additional isolation like what I tried or like the HRS platform under Frank's table. I think the SME suspension in large part is meant to address vibrations at certain frequencies from the motor. By adding something like what Frank and I have done, you further isolate it from floor/ground/structure borne lower frequency vibrations. But under that, yes, a very solid, rigid and stable rack is essential.

Syntax (on Audiogon) discovered the same thing about isolation with his well-designed suspended Basis turntable when he placed it on a Vibraplane and rigid rack system.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    Actually I did not use them under the Clearaudio as I use the Table Stable isolation platform. Short of using that, the Stillpoint Ultra 5's are a good choice or a passive device like Minus-K or Vibraplane.
    Christian, Have you considered trying to place your superb TechDas AF1 on the Table Stable platform or do you think with the air suspension, the TechDas would not benefit from further isolation? I still wonder if the active technology in the Herzan devices will find their way into a mass loaded non-suspended turntable design. Could be quite expensive, but we are already there with SOTA designs like the TechDas and some others.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-22 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Q3, Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Christian, Have you considered trying to place your superb TechDas AF1 on the Table Stable platform or do you think with the air suspension, the TechDas would not benefit from further isolation? I still wonder if the active technology in the Herzan devices will find their way into a mass loaded non-suspended turntable design. Could be quite expensive, but we are already there with SOTA designs like the TechDas and some others.
    I'm starting to consider the possibility of trying it in the next month or two. It's a lot of work partially dissembling each table to do it.
    Christian

System Gear

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast