Pass Labs .8 Series!

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
So I purchased a used X350.5 today from Reno Hi Fi. Mark was great to work with and gave me a very good price.

Upgrade from my X250.5.

He explained what he thought the differences between the .8 and .5 series are.

Since I love the sound of the X.5 series and after reading various comments in various forums, decided to go that route.

Will likely be able to sell my 250.5 for 90% of what I initially paid.

Not too bad. Needless to say, a good investment and many hours of engaging listening. :D

What other brands hold their value like Pass?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
So I purchased a used X350.5 today from Reno Hi Fi. Mark was great to work with and gave me a very good price.

Upgrade from my X250.5.

He explained what he thought the differences between the .8 and .5 series are.

Since I love the sound of the X.5 series and after reading various comments in various forums, decided to go that route.

Will likely be able to sell my 250.5 for 90% of what I initially paid.

Not too bad. Needless to say, a good investment and many hours of engaging listening. :D

What other brands hold their value like Pass?

Congratulations. Can you share Mark's description of the differences between the .5 and the .8 series?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Thank you Peter.

Mark felt that the 0.8 series was more articulate, transparent with better bass response. I think he meant quicker as well as deeper. Overall, he felt that the 0.8 series is simply a superior sounding amp.

Ideally, I would have gone for the 350.8 but alas, reality (budget) was a factor.

Given what I know about the X series, the reviews on the 350.5, which have been quite positive, and the additional power of the 350.5 vs the 250.5, I think it will be a good fit for me in the near future. And if I audition and don't feel it's worth the upgrade, I can return to Mark at Reno Hi Fi with the "minor" cost of shipping.

Also will allow me to use this amp with my next (final) speaker, the MBL 101E MK 1, until I can afford some high powered mono amps. Classe and Bryston are currently my two top contenders at the moment.

Best.

Pass Labs amplifier

Thank you Peter.

Mark felt that the 0.8 series was more articulate, transparent with better bass response. I think he meant quicker as well as deeper. Overall, he felt that the 0.8 series is simply a superior sounding amp.

Ideally, I would have gone for the 350.8 but alas, reality (budget) was a factor.

Given what I know about the X series, the reviews on the 350.5, which have been quite positive, and the additional power of the 350.5 vs the 250.5, I think it will be a good fit for me in the near future. And if I audition and don't feel it's worth the upgrade, I can return to Mark at Reno Hi Fi with the "minor" cost of shipping.

Also will allow me to use this amp with my next (final) speaker, the MBL 101E MK 1, until I can afford some high powered mono amps. Classe and Bryston are currently my two top contenders at the moment.

Best.

Congratulations on your new Pass Labs X350.5 amplifier.
I have the new Pass Labs X350.8 amplifier running my Rockport Technologies Atria loudspeakers and it is a wonderful combination. Personally I would not think about changing to the Classe or Bryston from a Pass Labs amplifier, if you wanted more power and mono blocks in the future I would think about the Pass labs X600.8 mono or the Pass XA 160.8 mono blocks. I also have a pair of the Pass Labs XA 160.8 mono blocks and they are incredible amplifiers and I would think very hard to better except for the Pass Labs XS 300 mono blocks.

Attachments

• Pass.Labs.XA160.8.Parmenter.Sound.Studio.jpg
    Pass.Labs.XA160.8.Parmenter.Sound.Studio.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 4,125
  • Pass.Labs.X350.8.Parmenter.Sound.studio.1.jpg
    Pass.Labs.X350.8.Parmenter.Sound.studio.1.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 3,088

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The speakers in that picture don't look like Rockports?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The speakers in that picture don't look like Rockports?

Hi rbbert
Yes you are correct they are the Pass Labs XA160.8 mono blocks powering my Osborn Grand Monument loudspeakers.
I have just taken a picture of my Pass Labs X350.8 stereo amplifier matched with the Rockport Technologies Atria loudspeakers, I am using the Lamm Industries LL2.1 deluxe valve preamplifier and EMM Labs XDS1 CD/SACD player in this system.

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpg
    IMG_4615.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 7,521

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks LL21 for the Osborn loudspeaker information and the link.

Parmenter,

Do you have any insights on the new Rockport speaker which has been posted elsewhere on WBF? Supposedly to come in below the Altair...an aluminum/epoxy resin/aluminum sandwich for the baffle?

Rockport Cygnus

Parmenter,

Do you have any insights on the new Rockport speaker which has been posted elsewhere on WBF? Supposedly to come in below the Altair...an aluminum/epoxy resin/aluminum sandwich for the baffle?

Hi LL21
Yes I do but I will wait until the Andy releases the new Rockport loudspeaker this year, but I will say it looks like a wonderful design and I am sure will sound incredible.
Thanks Jason.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm very interested to see what .8 integrateds will be shown or previewed at CES. Very possibly one totally new one upscale from the 150 and 30A. If it's a 60.8A I may be upgrading this year.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am also finding out the .8 series of amplifiers don't include an input capacitor to block DC... good.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am also finding out the .8 series of amplifiers don't include an input capacitor to block DC... good.

Is that what they call DC coupled?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I may be spending more than I planned on audio this year...

If you live in Reno, have you ever visited Mark's Sammut's store?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If you live in Reno, have you ever visited Mark's Sammut's store?
Mark doesn't have a store, he works out of his house, or at least he did originally. Now he is so busy that the house across the street, which he used to rent out, is entirely devoted to the business, with probably millions of dollars worth of Pass Labs gear filling the garage and much of the house. I think I'm one of two customers who has actually visited :). If Bluefox (Bud) wanted to I'm sure he would be welcome to do so as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing