Pass Labs .8 Series!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Pass Labs X-260.8 mono's have now replaced the Ayre MXR's driving my Sound Lab Ultimate U-1PX's. Deeper, better base, more control.

Are you keeping the preamplifier?

Robert < NxLT > Slowinski

Jul 13, 2015
Poland
www.nxlt.eu
My New XA 60.8 ar? replaced by XA 160.5
Those amps are huge compared to 60.8.
Now I' burning the properly in : 5 days straight on , 5 days 12h on and 12H completely off the nets. And the 5 days 12h on and 12h standby.
So in about 15 days I will begin some critical listening.

I hope those AMPs wil not let me down and I expect to keep them longer than point 8 amp.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
It's been pretty quiet around here.

Thought I'd bump the thread -- maybe I should title this, "Mark Sammut Strikes Again" Mark made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a trade-up from my XP-20 preamp to a XP-30 -- in-home trial, generous allowance for my preamp, and of course the ability to return the XP-30 if I didn't like it. He did warn me in advance that he's never had anyone return one yet. . .

Well, I wasn't the first to break Mark's string. I have to say that the XP-20 is a really, really good preamp; however the XP-30 is insanely good. Easily the biggest step-improvement I've ever heard from a component upgrade in over 40 years of chasing the audio dragon. It's that good. Revealing, transparent, yet rich and textured and vivid. It's pretty much impossible now to walk through the family room when music is playing and not get sucked into a case of couch-lock every time.

Very pleased with the new addition, and a tip of the hat to Mark at Reno HiFi for making it possible.

Steve Z

lowviz_mcc

Jun 4, 2015
Hong Kong
Hello Everyone,

I've just joined the Pass Labs club by purchasing a Pass Labs X350.8 amp. It's a stunning amp. :)

Reactions: RickS and Mikem53

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
It's been pretty quiet around here.

Thought I'd bump the thread -- maybe I should title this, "Mark Sammut Strikes Again" Mark made me an offer I couldn't refuse on a trade-up from my XP-20 preamp to a XP-30 -- in-home trial, generous allowance for my preamp, and of course the ability to return the XP-30 if I didn't like it. He did warn me in advance that he's never had anyone return one yet. . .

Well, I wasn't the first to break Mark's string. I have to say that the XP-20 is a really, really good preamp; however the XP-30 is insanely good. Easily the biggest step-improvement I've ever heard from a component upgrade in over 40 years of chasing the audio dragon. It's that good. Revealing, transparent, yet rich and textured and vivid. It's pretty much impossible now to walk through the family room when music is playing and not get sucked into a case of couch-lock every time.

Very pleased with the new addition, and a tip of the hat to Mark at Reno HiFi for making it possible.

Steve Z

Congrats!!!

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks!

Congrats!!!

Thank you, Mr. Madfloyd. It's been a revelation and very gratifying to have the XP-30 in my system. I can't imagine what it must be like to have any of the Xs series in a system.

I just realized I posted my preamp post in the Pass .8 series thread. My apologies. To get back on track, are there any further thoughts by those who've had a chance now to live with their XA100.8 or 160.8 amplifiers for awhile? Or, I don't know, if a guy just happened to have a pair of big but fairly efficient KEF 270/2 floorstanders what he might gain going to 100.8 or 160.8 amps from his X250.8 amplifier?

Steve Z

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thank you, Mr. Madfloyd. It's been a revelation and very gratifying to have the XP-30 in my system. I can't imagine what it must be like to have any of the Xs series in a system.

I just realized I posted my preamp post in the Pass .8 series thread. My apologies. To get back on track, are there any further thoughts by those who've had a chance now to live with their XA100.8 or 160.8 amplifiers for awhile? Or, I don't know, if a guy just happened to have a pair of big but fairly efficient KEF 270/2 floorstanders what he might gain going to 100.8 or 160.8 amps from his X250.8 amplifier?

Steve Z

Congratulations on the XP30. I directly compared the XP20 to the XP30 in my system for about a week and did not hear a dramatic difference, but perhaps I should revisit this. I found the 30 to be slightly quieter and more resolving but also a bit warmer sounding. I also thought the 20 had a slightly more neutral tonal balance, which I preferred. The 30 was more nuanced and did exhibit more texture and perhaps timbral accuracy, but I'd have to listen more to be sure.

I switched from the XA100.5 to the XA160.5 after discovering that the former did not quite have the control or effortlessness and open sound of the latter with my then new speakers, the Magico Mini 2s. I have consistently found that as one moves up in power in the Pass line, the sound improves. I do not have much experience with the X line, so I can not describe with confidence how it differs from the XA line.

These are good questions for Mark Sammut at Reno. He knows the various differences well and can advise you regarding speakers loads and tastes.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Good advice

Congratulations on the XP30. I directly compared the XP20 to the XP30 in my system for about a week and did not hear a dramatic difference, but perhaps I should revisit this. I found the 30 to be slightly quieter and more resolving but also a bit warmer sounding. I also thought the 20 had a slightly more neutral tonal balance, which I preferred. The 30 was more nuanced and did exhibit more texture and perhaps timbral accuracy, but I'd have to listen more to be sure.

I switched from the XA100.5 to the XA160.5 after discovering that the former did not quite have the control or effortlessness and open sound of the latter with my then new speakers, the Magico Mini 2s. I have consistently found that as one moves up in power in the Pass line, the sound improves. I do not have much experience with the X line, so I can not describe with confidence how it differs from the XA line.

These are good questions for Mark Sammut at Reno. He knows the various differences well and can advise you regarding speakers loads and tastes.

Thanks Peter. Mark has never yet steered me wrong and he actually recommended the trial of the XP-30 before going down the more expensive road of largish XA .8 series monoblocks.

I remember your post about your XP-20/30 comparison. I actually don't find the XP-30 warmer so much as providing greater saturation and weight to tonal colors. If pressed I'd have characterized the XP-20 as slightly cooler than the -30 but given the nod to the XP-30 for being the more neutral and resolving of the pair. So we're kind of hearing the same things but perhaps assigning them different values reflective of our other system choices and no doubt our personal tastes. Which is cool -- we each need to be happy with our choices as we improve our systems.

I will say that for me the choice was clear within the first few tracks I played -- I felt a big grin break out on my face and the phase, "Holy crap!" kept crossing my mind. Mark was not in any danger of getting the XP-30 back.

Very best regards,

Steve

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Congratulations!

Hello Everyone,

I've just joined the Pass Labs club by purchasing a Pass Labs X350.8 amp. It's a stunning amp. :)

Congratulations. I am sure you will have as many happy hours with your music as I've had.

Best regards,

Steve Z

lowviz_mcc

Jun 4, 2015
Hong Kong
Dear Steve,

Thanks. My X350.8 is clocked in at around 20 hours and already it shows that it is in a different league altogether from my previous Wyred 4 Sound amp.

Best Regards,

Michael

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Any Pass preamp would work of course but your ARC would probably work fine as well.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
OK..just got done wrestling a pair of XA60.8's into position next to my speakers. I'm at a point now where I want to connect my 1/4" Cardas Spades to the fancy binding posts but to my dismay the damn things don't fit properly due to the position of the clear plastic "nubs" behind the ratcheting knobs. If I go in horizontally behind the handles all would be great IF the flat portion of the brass/copper lugs where facing the same way. Mine are facing vertically which means I need to feed the cable also vertically in order for them to fit over the flat area of the lugs. Of course this would not be a problem if it weren't for those damn clear plastic "nubs" being in the way and blocking the Spade from resting flush against the plate. Why on gods green earth did someone think these "nubs" were a good idea?

What looks to be an almost perfect set of binding posts are pretty much useless because of these "nubs". Guess I'll be going Banana's instead...in more ways then one! Not sure if a larger spade would fit "horizontally" or not but it don't matter anyway as I don't have larger spades.

WTF PASS! :mad:

Reactions: rugyboogie

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
OK..just got done wrestling a pair of XA60.8's into position next to my speakers. I'm at a point now where I want to connect my 1/4" Cardas Spades to the fancy binding posts but to my dismay the damn things don't fit properly due to the position of the clear plastic "nubs" behind the ratcheting knobs. If I go in horizontally behind the handles all would be great IF the flat portion of the brass/copper lugs where facing the same way. Mine are facing vertically which means I need to feed the cable also vertically in order for them to fit over the flat area of the lugs. Of course this would not be a problem if it weren't for those damn clear plastic "nubs" being in the way and blocking the Spade from resting flush against the plate. Why on gods green earth did someone think these "nubs" were a good idea?

What looks to be an almost perfect set of binding posts are pretty much useless because of these "nubs". Guess I'll be going Banana's instead...in more ways then one! Not sure if a larger spade would fit "horizontally" or not but it don't matter anyway as I don't have larger spades.

WTF PASS! :mad:

gtl

Jan 29, 2016
Anyone compared the XA30.8, X250.8 and X350.8? Looking at getting one of these beasts. Currently using an Ayre QX-5 Twenty as a dac/preamp and a pair of Vivid Giya G3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing