Pass Labs .8 Series!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just saw that Pass Labs will debut the new .8 series at CES! Now that's some exciting news!!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
So what's the scoop on the .8 series?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
All I saw was the advertisement that Pass will introduce the .8 series at CES. Don't know if that will be all the X and XA series amps or not.
Maybe they've learned a few tricks with the XS models?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
All I saw was the advertisement that Pass will introduce the .8 series at CES. Don't know if that will be all the X and XA series amps or not.
Maybe they've learned a few tricks with the XS models?

They are coming out with the X.8 and XA.8 series of amplifiers in the first quarter of 2014. These upgraded amplifiers will incorporate approximately 50% of the XS series topology, parts and sonic character. Compared to the .5 series, expect better spectral balance and dynamic contrast, especially at lower volume levels. These amplifiers will not be replacing the .5 series but will be offered in addition. There will be all the same models as in the X.5 and XA.5 series. They will continue to offer the .5 series as long as customers are still buying them. The cost of the .8 series is expected to be 17% to 20% higher than the .5 series.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
They are coming out with the X.8 and XA.8 series of amplifiers in the first quarter of 2014. These upgraded amplifiers will incorporate approximately 50% of the XS series topology, parts and sonic character. Compared to the .5 series, expect better spectral balance and dynamic contrast, especially at lower volume levels. These amplifiers will not be replacing the .5 series but will be offered in addition. There will be all the same models as in the X.5 and XA.5 series. They will continue to offer the .5 series as long as customers are still buying them. The cost of the .8 series is expected to be 17% to 20% higher than the .5 series.

Thanks Frank...

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
At the recent Tokyo show

10715520023_4f755933e2_o.jpg

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I have a feeling that the .5 series will be dropped as soon as the .8 series has been established.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have a feeling that the .5 series will be dropped as soon as the .8 series has been established.

Not according to Wayne. He feels they gave a different target audience

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No integrateds (yet?) in the .8 line...

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I wonder if the meter light can be turned off on the .8 models? I purchased a pair of X600.5 last July, and it is hard to imagine much improvement. The only issue I had is the meter lights remind me of a car coming at me at night, and I found it to be very annoying. Fortunately, the facade on the front of the amps allow a piece of cardboard to be inserted, which blocks the light. If the meters on the .8 cannot be turned of it will be more difficult to block the light.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sony AR1 speakers. Not my choice but that's what was in the PASS room. Best those Sony's ever sounded-course it was with analog. Usually when hear PASS, it's with digital. Don't think that shows the amp's capabilities off to their utmost.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
We have the full report on the new Pass Labs .8s, interviews, close ups and all that good stuff. Video baby.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I wonder if the meter light can be turned off on the .8 models? I purchased a pair of X600.5 last July, and it is hard to imagine much improvement. The only issue I had is the meter lights remind me of a car coming at me at night, and I found it to be very annoying. Fortunately, the facade on the front of the amps allow a piece of cardboard to be inserted, which blocks the light. If the meters on the .8 cannot be turned of it will be more difficult to block the light.

I do the exact same thing with my XA160.5. I put a piece of shirt cardboard right in front of the meter. Works great. I would love to defeat the light.

The .8 models have a blue light. I was kind of hoping it would be a dim white light like with the XS models.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing