Pass Labs .8 Series!

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
I am not sure if power consumption on the XA60.8's makes sense but on the Pass website, here is what they state for the specs:

XA60.8 / Specifications

Power Output /ch (8 ohm) 60
Maximum Output (Amps) 20
Leaves Class A @ pk Watts 120
Power Consumption (W) 200
Number of Chassis1

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
I am not sure if power consumption on the XA60.8's makes sense but on the Pass website, here is what they state for the specs:

XA60.8 / Specifications

Power Output /ch (8 ohm) 60
Maximum Output (Amps) 20
Leaves Class A @ pk Watts 120
Power Consumption (W) 200
Number of Chassis1

Hi Joe,

The Pass Labs website needs an update. The specs you are quoting that are on the XA-60.8 webpage are the original design specs that were written before the amps were actually built. The revised specs based on actual measurements of the amps after they were built are on a pdf file under "Additional Information" and "Spec Sheet". I got this information from a telephone call to Pass Labs. This pdf file lists the revised specs for all the Point 8 series amps.

Here's the link:
https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/Point8_specs.pdf

Best,
Ken

Don C

Jul 20, 2013
USA
Hi Joe,

The Pass Labs website needs an update. The specs you are quoting that are on the XA-60.8 webpage are the original design specs that were written before the amps were actually built. The revised specs based on actual measurements of the amps after they were built are on a pdf file under "Additional Information" and "Spec Sheet". I got this information from a telephone call to Pass Labs. This pdf file lists the revised specs for all the Point 8 series amps.

Here's the link:
https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/Point8_specs.pdf

Best,
Ken

For comparison to the XA.5 series here is the link:

https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/xa.5_specs.pdf

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
For comparison to the XA.5 series here is the link:

https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/xa.5_specs.pdf

Hi Don,

Thanks for posting! This will make the comparison much easier. I upgraded to the XA-100.8's from the XA-100.5's two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the results and they're not even fully broken in yet. This hasn't changed my opinion of the XA-100.5's though, they are beautiful sounding amps too. Nelson is a genius.

Best,
Ken

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Was reading a thread over at A-gon and found something interesting. Don't know if this guy is blowing smoke or what but he posted this:

I spoke to Nelson yesterday, via email, and asked him the very same question. He said he was not surprised that my speakers were a good match, as the M2 was voiced using the 15" version of Tannoy HPD speakers, mine being 12"

He also, admirably, stated unfortunately, that sound quality does not ascend commensurate with price.

I appreciate his honesty, and our exchange made me feel more 'grounded', if you will.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Hi Don,

Thanks for posting! This will make the comparison much easier. I upgraded to the XA-100.8's from the XA-100.5's two weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with the results and they're not even fully broken in yet. This hasn't changed my opinion of the XA-100.5's though, they are beautiful sounding amps too. Nelson is a genius.

Best,
Ken

Congrats, Ken!

scb

Feb 4, 2014
Was reading a thread over at A-gon and found something interesting. Don't know if this guy is blowing smoke or what but he posted this:

I spoke to Nelson yesterday, via email, and asked him the very same question. He said he was not surprised that my speakers were a good match, as the M2 was voiced using the 15" version of Tannoy HPD speakers, mine being 12"

He also, admirably, stated unfortunately, that sound quality does not ascend commensurate with price.

I appreciate his honesty, and our exchange made me feel more 'grounded', if you will.

Of course it doesn't. An $80,000 amplifier will probably sound better than a $2,000 one, but it won't sound 40x better.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Congrats, Ken!

Thanks MadFloyd. You have a terrific system from top to bottom! How are you liking your XA-160.8's?

Best,
Ken

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Thanks MadFloyd. You have a terrific system from top to bottom! How are you liking your XA-160.8's?

Best,
Ken

Thanks, Ken, I'm enjoying them immensely!

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
Smokin' system Madfloyd!

When I first saw the .8's, I thought man do I ever prefer the look of the .5's. Not so much anymore, The .8's have grown on me and look fantastic. All need to do now is have a chance to listen, bet they sound wonderful. Nelson is the king of class A.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Smokin' system Madfloyd!

When I first saw the .8's, I thought man do I ever prefer the look of the .5's. Not so much anymore, The .8's have grown on me and look fantastic. All need to do now is have a chance to listen, bet they sound wonderful. Nelson is the king of class A.

Thanks, Mark. They're currently driving S5's and not having to work very hard. Now I just need bigger Magicos!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks, Mark. They're currently driving S5's and not having to work very hard. Now I just need bigger Magicos!

:)

Which model you have in mind?

Mark Jones

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014

I know where you can get a pair of M Projects!!!!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I want something a tad bigger than the S5s, but the Q series doesn't quite appeal to me. I don't know anything about the M series since Magico is so secretive about it.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
MadFloyd,

Heard a Q7? The only unappealing thing about it is the price, IMHO :)

If you dig the S5 sound, you might want to look at the YG Hailey as well. I thought it was sort of a mix of the S5 and the Q3, in a small-ish cabinet.

alexandre

Blazar

Oct 28, 2014
I have the Pass XA 30.8 which is an upgrade from the XA 30.5. I run the amp with Avantgarde horns (with a new pair of Trio's on the way to test soon in my house).

I feel the 30.8 is just slightly better but very similar in character to the 30.5. Both work great with horns with excellent bass response compared to tube amps and lower wattage amps.

Some general points

-The 30.8 will NOT fit on a standard rack which I learned to my dismay. (the point 8 series in general will not fit)
-both are very hot so be prepared to keep them ventilated properly.
-use the 12v trigger since they will consume some serious power otherwise.
-the Pass Class A amps have VERY low noise floor which is nice because many amps will have an audible hum or hiss with horn high efficiency speakers.
-the sound quality of both the old and new model are basically excellent without having to wax poetic about the various characteristics.
-the sound very high quality without me wanting for anything when paired with Avantgarde Duo Omega speakers and I will have the opportunity in a few weeks to fire up the Avantgarde Trio's with the same amp and see how things go.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing