Vacuum State DPA-300B

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I am on the verge of going for a DPA-300B, designed and hand built by the late Allen Wright and his companion at Vacuum State.
Has anybody used this intriguing amp and has got any wisdom for me?

Would appreciate information, thanks.

I use a much evolved Berning ZH270 and Audio Consulting MIPA. Speakers are Merlin VSM MAster, 6 Ohm..

Last edited:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
what's best?

I am on the verge of going for a DPA-300B, designed and hand built by the late Allen Wright and his companion at Vacuum State.
Has anybody used this intriguing amp and has got any wisdom for me?

Would appreciate information, thanks.

I use a much evolved Berning ZH270 and Audio Consulting MIPA. Speakers are Merlin VSM MAster, 6 Ohm..

Nobody heard this? I cannot believe it, it should certainly be a contender for "what's best", whatever that would be..
But of course it has only got 20W's ;-)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Can you audition the unit with your existing equipment [speakers, source, etc.] before making your decision?

Might be great / might NOT be great with your equipment.

Also, a lot [maybe tonnes] depends on the actual Tubes in the equipment and their condition.

I like Zermatt / Cervenia.

zz.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I heard one at a hifi show many years ago. It was one of the few push pull tube amps I've heard that sounded excellent. It does not sound like a typical pentode p-p amp or a 300B SET. I'd say it sounded quite direct, but with very vivid tonal color.

Last edited:

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
never been there ;-)

Can you audition the unit with your existing equipment [speakers, source, etc.] before making your decision?

Might be great / might NOT be great with your equipment.

Also, a lot [maybe tonnes] depends on the actual Tubes in the equipment and their condition.

I like Zermatt / Cervenia.

zz.

You know what's the best: I have never been there, going to St.Moritz all my life in Winter i only recently discovered there are actually other Skiing areas. Having said that, being a violinist makes me an extremely cautios skier; what I really do is xcountry-skiing and especially, long distance hiking. And with that you can somehow go anywhere in the Alps and be smitten.

As to the amps, no unfortunately can't, so I'll just go for it.
Vacuum State is just round the corner from me, so presumably they can help in case of trouble..

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
DPA300B feedback soon

Just to let you know, the DPA 300B's have arrived, with seemingly fabulous KR300BXLS tubes. First they are off to the Factory (very near me, hence my decision to buy these amps) for a voltage change and check up.
I will let you know how these fare against my Audio Consulting MIPA, Berning ZH270. Should be fun.

Meanwhile a link to some fotos made by a repairman (these are obviously not mine): http://audiobodger.blogspot.ch/2011/07/vacuum-state-of-art.html

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Well now my Vacuum state DPA300B's have come back and are coming in handy -

One caveat: These particular DPA's had been originally in KIT form, and have now been extensively doublechecked by the Factory.

In comparison to my Audio Consulting MIPA amps (I recently stumbled over their CES-US price and was flabbergasted) these Vacuum state amps have a similar "linear sound" reputation, but reputation is where the similarities stop: The MIPA (Mains Independent Power Amp) is one fast, sleek, elegant runner, like clear water, whereas the VS dpa (Differential Power Amp) has an equally fast feeling, whilst less extending to the top, or maybe just more grounded; funny to hear a 300B amp with a fast, articulate bass.
These just some first reactions from two hours listening.
For now I listen at home through Merlin VSM speakers, it may be them and the MIPA don't get along as well as the VS DPAmps. I'll report on use with my Studio system and later a cross check with my Berning ZH270, an amp that I trust entirely!!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well now my Vacuum state DPA300B's have come back and are coming in handy -

One caveat: These particular DPA's had been originally in KIT form, and have now been extensively doublechecked by the Factory.

In comparison to my Audio Consulting MIPA amps (I recently stumbled over their CES-US price and was flabbergasted) these Vacuum state amps have a similar "linear sound" reputation, but reputation is where the similarities stop: The MIPA (Mains Independent Power Amp) is one fast, sleek, elegant runner, like clear water, whereas the VS dpa (Differential Power Amp) has an equally fast feeling, whilst less extending to the top, or maybe just more grounded; funny to hear a 300B amp with a fast, articulate bass.
These just some first reactions from two hours listening.
For now I listen at home through Merlin VSM speakers, it may be them and the MIPA don't get along as well as the VS DPAmps. I'll report on use with my Studio system and later a cross check with my Berning ZH270, an amp that I trust entirely!!
will be interesting to hear your impression relative to Berning. Also be interesting to hear your impressions of these tube amps, as (I believe?) you are a musician (violin?) if I recall correctly. (hope I do...sorry if I remember incorrectly and confused you with someone else).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing