6SN7's and the Modwright Oppo BDP-105

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
As a new (happy?) owner of a Modwright Oppo 105 I'm naturally curious about tube choices. The 6SN7 tubes in its audio section are popular low power tubes for any number of audio components, so what are member's favorite NOS choices? :cool:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
As a new (happy?) owner of a Modwright Oppo 105 I'm naturally curious about tube choices. The 6SN7 tubes in its audio section are popular low power tubes for any number of audio components, so what are member's favorite NOS choices? :cool:

Rob,

I always liked the CV1988 Brimar in my VAC's. I'm interested in a 105 myself as an option to my current tube DAC,of course it probably won't be a Modwright,but you never know. Glad you like it. Roger

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The VTV testers liked those Brimars also.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't personally played with this tube but a friend that uses the Icon Audio phono stage swears the NOS RCA destroys (ok I'm taking a little liberty here) the Shuagang replicate.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I haven't personally played with this tube but a friend that uses the Icon Audio phono stage swears the NOS RCA destroys (ok I'm taking a little liberty here) the Shuagang replicate.
The redbase (or equivalent) 5692 RCA?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The red base is supposed to be the bomb.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
When I had the Modwight OPPO 105 I tried a few different 6SN7's. The new Sophia Electric were very good. A touch intense. Tried the 5692 RCA red base. They are very nice and a little more laid back. Also tried some Sylvania 6SN7GTA's. These were a little more forward than the others but still very good. All these were clearer and more transparent than the stock tubes. Well worth the effort. Which you will like will of course depend on your system and taste in sound.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
I got the Sophia Electric tubes as recommended by Dan however, I've slightly prefer both the PSVANE CV181-T Mk II (http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/cv181-tii-pair) and the Tung Sol 6F8G with a Woo Audio 6F8G/6SN7 adapter (http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5b/5bdc1728_IMG_4311.jpeg). The latter two seems to be more relaxed and natural sounding.

Another thing, replacing the tube in the power supply resulted in a warmer, deeper bottom end for me. The caveat being that you would have had to request the large hole cut in the case to fit them. I've got the Emission Labs 5U4G mesh rectifier tube (http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/products/rectifiers.htm) and now the Phillips 5R4GYS (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/5R4GYS.htm).

Cheers,
-Hedwig

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I got the Sophia Electric tubes as recommended by Dan however, I've slightly prefer both the PSVANE CV181-T Mk II (http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/cv181-tii-pair) and the Tung Sol 6F8G with a Woo Audio 6F8G/6SN7 adapter (http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/5b/5bdc1728_IMG_4311.jpeg). The latter two seems to be more relaxed and natural sounding.

Another thing, replacing the tube in the power supply resulted in a warmer, deeper bottom end for me. The caveat being that you would have had to request the large hole cut in the case to fit them. I've got the Emission Labs 5U4G mesh rectifier tube (http://www.emissionlabs.com/html/products/rectifiers.htm) and now the Phillips 5R4GYS (http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue68/5R4GYS.htm).

Cheers,
-Hedwig
Thanks all. I'm going to try an OEM Sylvania made "Bad Boy" matched pair.

The power supply mod has been mentioned before. I think I'll see what kind of differences I notice with the two signal tubes before I get too carried away with further mods :D

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Lots of great OS 6sn7s to try. Make sure the "badboys" you try really are "badboys"-- bottom getter tall T-plate with 3 holes in the plate, shinny top mica with triagular "claws" resting on glass. A lot of people are calling a lot of different tubes "badboys". If it has a silver top getter, it is not a "badboy". Just had to get that off my chest!
I like the Sylvania 6sn7W alot, any of the 3 versions not necessarily the metal base one which have become very expensive. The red base RCA 5692 is good but mellower than the W, a less "exciting" tube. I like the grey glass RCA VT 231 as much as the Redbase it sounds very similar. The other RCAs just don't cut it IMO. Tung Sol made some great 6sn7s. The very expensive round-plates are supposed to be one of the best, but I refuse to pay the price. But the "mouse ear" Tung Sols and the grey T-plate GT tubes after them are all pretty good, again mellower than the Sylvanias. The Tung Sol 6sn7GTB in the tall bottle are very good tubes also, lively like the Sylvanias. I also really like the Raytheon WGT tubes with the top getter and brown base, an underrated tube right up there with the best IMO. Brown base Sylvania WGT and Sylvania 6sn7GTA are good tubes, but a step down from the tubes already mentioned. The Sylvania 6sn7GTB are a further step down but stll probably better than any modern tube, although I have not heard the pricy Treasure or Sophia tubes. Any bottom getter Sylvania 6sn7GT from the early 50s (before the top getter 6sn7GTAs) are good, hard to find a bad Sylvania in this tube type. Not a big fan of the GE side getters, but the GE 6sn7GTA is much better than the GTB.
Enjoy the roll!

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The Sophias are a bit less expensive than many of the NOS tubes you mention, and I'm tempted to try them next. I did replace the stock Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier with a Japanese Mullard from c. 1970, and it seemed to make a little difference (in a good way); I may try an older British Mullard there.

My "Bad Boys" are as you describe them. They are a bit microphonic, which I only notice if I tap them or when I open and close the disc drawer. I've heard that nearly all of the older 6SN7 and VT-231's have this characterisitc to one extent or another.

waynebosz

Feb 1, 2014
ModWright Oppo 105 Rectifier rolling

Thanks all. I'm going to try an OEM Sylvania made "Bad Boy" matched pair.

The power supply mod has been mentioned before. I think I'll see what kind of differences I notice with the two signal tubes before I get too carried away with further mods :D

Just want to ask you which rectifier did you prefer; Emissions Lab or Phillips 5R4GYS. I have the Phillips.

waynebosz

Feb 1, 2014
Now that you had time to compare rectifiers, which one do you prefer? Emission Labs or Phillips 5R4GYS. I have the Phillips 5R4GYS.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
NOS f31 Dutch Mullard GZ34. It seems to match very well with the Sophias. I've tried a number of other 6SN7's now (PSVANE, RCA VT-231 greyglass, another pair of Sylvania 1950's) and keep returning to the Mullard/ Sophia combo. I am hoping to try some TungSol oval plate black glass if I can ever find a low noise well matched pair, otherwise I'll probably stay where I am.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I finally managed to find a pair of NOS TungSol 6SN7 oval plates (VT-231 from the '40's, black glass) and understand why they are often referred to as the "Holy Grail" of 6SN7's. dminches had advised me of this, and any comparison listening tests I've seen which include this tube have also found it to be the case. The price is a little outrageous, but OTOH so is the sound. Over and out:)

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I agree with what most others have said here but, there are some exceptions. I have an extensive collection of 6SN7 tubes and variants. First let me say the real (Bad Boy) Sylvania's were only made from 51-53. Second the Red Base RCA's have 5 support rods in them to just about kill the microphonics and they sound good too. The WGT and WGTA's have 3 support rods and sound great too. The Sylvania VT231's are great sounding if you can find a pair that aren't microphonic.. As for the (Holy Grail) as they are called the Tung Sol Round or Oval Plates with black glass are really priced and for good reason, they sound great!!! Now here is the bottom line for me the 6F8G is the best sounding alternative I have ever heard, they sound better in my system than all the rest from top to bottom!!! I still have quite a stash of real nice 6SN7 tubes but the Tung Sol 6F8G's stay in the system!!!

waynebosz

Feb 1, 2014
Presently, I'm listening to 1578's in both my Mapletree Ultra 4A SE preamplifier and ModWright oppodigital BDP-105.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I assume the 6F8G's are a direct plug-in replacement for 6SN7's?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing