What can best my Meridian 808.3?

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi folks, it's been quite some time since I last logged in. One and half years to be exact. In that time I've been enjoying my Meridian 808.3 CD player every time I play it. It is what reviewers describe it to be - very open soundstage, extraordinarily revealing, very analogue-sounding, very 3-dimensional, et al. It is indeed state-of-the-art and my ears bear witness to that. In short, I'm in love with its sound. Having said that, the unit failed me big time twice - it just shut down midsong! It's most disconcerting, to say the least. My dealer has taken it for repair. I suspect it's due to the transport mechanism.

So I'm now with some reluctance scouting for another CD (or CD/SACD) player that would give me as much enjoyment as my Meridian 808.3 sans the reliability issues. I would appreciate any input from the good folks here.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On my shortlist of CD only players

EERA Tentation (Bobby Ng in Singapore might have it) This is my personal redbook only reference.
EAR Acute

CD/SACD players

Emm's new transport with the DAC2X this betters my CDSD + DCC2 in every possible way

All these have the smoothness and body people love Meridian for

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
If you enjoy the 808v3 as much as I do you will find it difficult to switch to some other brands. In my set-up have compared my unit to Playback Design, AR Ref units, the Esoteric D-3/P-03, McIntosh MCD-1100 and two different MSB units and found no reason to change. When I add in SooLoos integration it is going to require something special to get me to change. Maybe the DCS Vivaldi DAC/Transport might be an option but at those prices I doubt it.

The Meridian is not the option for those who can find music they enjoy on DSD, but so far that is not me.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Having had an 808 transport fail twice, I can feel your pain. Nonetheless, i stuck with meridian and ended up with an 808.3 that i've upgraded to .5
Have had no issues with it at all - touch wood.
As Still-one notes, with the sooloos streaming feature, it is very tough to give it up ;)
I have swapped in a Nagra CDP recently and have to say that it is really really good in a different way. Superb clarity. Completely different approach to the drive mech than Meridian. Nagra's moves the entire solid transport, while Meridian uses a flimsy rom-drive tray.
I'd love to compare the emm labs in my system but personally, i have no interest in the DCS stack in my system due to funds and space.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi folks, it's been quite some time since I last logged in. One and half years to be exact. In that time I've been enjoying my Meridian 808.3 CD player every time I play it. It is what reviewers describe it to be - very open soundstage, extraordinarily revealing, very analogue-sounding, very 3-dimensional, et al. It is indeed state-of-the-art and my ears bear witness to that. In short, I'm in love with its sound. Having said that, the unit failed me big time twice - it just shut down midsong! It's most disconcerting, to say the least. My dealer has taken it for repair. I suspect it's due to the transport mechanism.

So I'm now with some reluctance scouting for another CD (or CD/SACD) player that would give me as much enjoyment as my Meridian 808.3 sans the reliability issues. I would appreciate any input from the good folks here.

My Cary Audio 306 SACD CDP had a similar issue. Shutdown for no reason.

Bought a Allsop CD lens cleaner for $6. Ran it for several minutes. Problem gone.

GG

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Linn Klimax DS (but no DSD) is worth considering.

I'm very happy with my Meitner MA-1 - which I bought after I attended three separate DAC blind shootouts this summer.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
If you enjoy the 808v3 as much as I do you will find it difficult to switch to some other brands. In my set-up have compared my unit to Playback Design, AR Ref units, the Esoteric D-3/P-03, McIntosh MCD-1100 and two different MSB units and found no reason to change. When I add in SooLoos integration it is going to require something special to get me to change. Maybe the DCS Vivaldi DAC/Transport might be an option but at those prices I doubt it.

The Meridian is not the option for those who can find music they enjoy on DSD, but so far that is not me.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, still-one. I can only think of EMM Labs XDS1 that could be a viable alternative but it's cost is prohibitive in my country (about $90K!!!). Do you have any experience with the new ARC Ref CD9?

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Having had an 808 transport fail twice, I can feel your pain. Nonetheless, i stuck with meridian and ended up with an 808.3 that i've upgraded to .5
Have had no issues with it at all - touch wood.
As Still-one notes, with the sooloos streaming feature, it is very tough to give it up ;)
I have swapped in a Nagra CDP recently and have to say that it is really really good in a different way. Superb clarity. Completely different approach to the drive mech than Meridian. Nagra's moves the entire solid transport, while Meridian uses a flimsy rom-drive tray.
I'd love to compare the emm labs in my system but personally, i have no interest in the DCS stack in my system due to funds and space.

Yeah, what you said resonates with me. Meridian's transport is rather flimsy. EMM Labs XDS1 really interests me, but as I mentioned above, the price is prohibitive in this part of the world :(

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
My Cary Audio 306 SACD CDP had a similar issue. Shutdown for no reason.

Bought a Allsop CD lens cleaner for $6. Ran it for several minutes. Problem gone.

GG

Wow, really? Maybe that's all I need to do for my unit. But the way it shuts down and won't play after that is pretty scary.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Yes, really in my case.

Need to determine if it is simply a dirty laser lens or something else.

Worth $10 to see if it resolves the issue.

GG

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
EAR Acute 3 CD Player/DAC

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
That's exactly what I'm afraid of, still-one. I can only think of EMM Labs XDS1 that could be a viable alternative but it's cost is prohibitive in my country (about $90K!!!). Do you have any experience with the new ARC Ref CD9?

Yes, I have listened to the Ref CD9 and similar to their Ref DAC I find their gear does not resolve the higher frequencies as well as other gear. I have a couple of compilation discs tI use to audition gear and on a couple of tracks the AR sounds like hash where some other players/DAC's differentiate the guitars/cymbals etc.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing