Intrigued by JBL M2 speaker system .... Opinions please ...

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
http://www.jblpro.com/products/recording&broadcast/M2/index.html#.UoGdn415iAM

Has anyone heard these? Can you offer an opinion please?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have indeed. We will be demoing this for the audiophile society meeting at Madrona later in the month.

In a nutshell, they are *stunning*!!! Unbelievable dynamics. Ability to sound great in any room. Incredible imaging. This was a joint design between Harman Luxury (i.e. Revel design team) and Pro group (JBL). It measures nearly perfectly on or off-axis:

I have never seen a speaker to have its off-axis curves look so identical to its direct sound. This translates into reflections off the walls being the same as the speaker's direct sound. And check out that ruler flat direct response! (green) Can you say accurate sound???

I am an inch away from ordering them for my listening room.

Whatever you do, find someone who will demo it for you (if not, ask your dealer to see if they will fly you to Harman in LA). Of course if you are Seattle area, it would be our pleasure to show it to you :).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Pull the trigger Amir!

What do you intend to drive them with?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
When you buy the system from either Pro or Residential group, they come with DSP for the crossovers and amplification (bi-amped). The Pro package has Crown amps and the Residential has Mark Levinson. The speakers come with outboard DSP (same SDEC used for room correction in JBL Synthesis). I will have to ponder what I will do. For sure, I will need high-power amps for the woofer (which needs gobs of power).

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Those have the waveguide horns don't they? Wouldn't mind hearing those too.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Amir,

Thank you so much for the info. I have a place in NYC where I can demo them but with the Crown Audio amps. I was told I could use my own amplification with the BSS London 160 processor. Something tells me these will be tremendous fun in the right setup. A friend is considering a pair. I can't wait for his opinion.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Amir

Any thoughts about trying McIntosh MC452 or MC601's on top and Bryston 28bsst2's on the bottom?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sort of the ultimate execution of the 2-way active monitor. JBL has tons of experience here. They've been building, and refining, these in miniature for years. :) I like.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
For sure, I will need high-power amps for the woofer (which needs gobs of power).

Amir,
Why such high power requirements? The sensitivity 1W/1m SPL is a very nice 92 dB. As the units are crossed around 800 Hz, the matching amplifiers for bi-amp should chosen with great care.

BTW, can you tell us what means the BSS OMNIDRIVE HD Digital Signature processing?

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Amir,
Why such high power requirements? The sensitivity 1W/1m SPL is a very nice 92 dB. As the units are crossed around 800 Hz, the matching amplifiers for bi-amp should chosen with great care.

BTW, can you tell us what means the BSS OMNIDRIVE HD Digital Signature processing?

What would you recommend?

Tim

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Sort of the ultimate execution of the 2-way active monitor. JBL has tons of experience here. They've been building, and refining, these in miniature for years. :) I like.

Tim

I like too. These seem like amazing speakers. I can't wait for more feedback and info.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I remember over 20 years ago being completely blown away by a pair of JBL 4333B monitors playing at a show (using master take as source). This was the first time I was exposed to how good reproduced sound could be.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I have indeed. We will be demoing this for the audiophile society meeting at Madrona later in the month.

In a nutshell, they are *stunning*!!! Unbelievable dynamics. Ability to sound great in any room. Incredible imaging. This was a joint design between Harman Luxury (i.e. Revel design team) and Pro group (JBL). It measures nearly perfectly on or off-axis:

I have never seen a speaker to have its off-axis curves look so identical to its direct sound. This translates into reflections off the walls being the same as the speaker's direct sound. And check out that ruler flat direct response! (green) Can you say accurate sound???

I am an inch away from ordering them for my listening room.

Whatever you do, find someone who will demo it for you (if not, ask your dealer to see if they will fly you to Harman in LA). Of course if you are Seattle area, it would be our pleasure to show it to you :).

Should be interesting. The PNWAS meeting at Madrona is this Thursday. I will be there and look forward to checking out the JBL M2's. I've only heard a couple of DSP based speaker designs. I was less than impressed with the sound of those. Hopefully the M2's will be different.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What would you recommend?

Tim

The same amplifier for both sections, just to be sure I would not be doing wrong! ;)

I have owned a pair of the great Dynaudio Consequences. They had 12'' diameter woofers crossed at 800 Hz - I could never find a good combination of different amplifiers to bi-amp them.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Since this was created in joint development between two groups at Harman, it is offered two ways:

1. Pro dealers. This config comes with two speakers and two crown amps with DSP where the crossover, etc. is done. The retail for this is $25K but I have heard it discounted down to $20K.

2. "Luxury dealers." This config comes with two speakers and four Mark Levinson monoblock amps (I think the H series). It then comes with the aforementioned SDEC outboard processor. The retail for this is $45K. As usual, luxury dealers unlike Pro cannot advertise discounts.

Not to blow our own horn :) but we are a dealer for both JBL Pro and Luxury divisions so can offer either configuration.

Addressing questions about using other amps, you would have to get authorization thought your dealer from Harman.

My favorite combo and what we have in the shop is to have the very efficient crown amps drive the larger woofers and use high-end amp for the horn.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Amir and to all attending the meeting,

I'd love to see a few photos of the gear from the PNWAS meeting at Madrona this Thursday.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
$20k street for that kind of performance? These are a steal by high end standards. Of course the physical construction is modest: satin lacquer on MDF. No high gloss automotive paint or exotic veneers. No ice block melting in a hot wind tunnel look. Pretty modest size, relatively speaking. Looks like they put all the money in the sound. I'd love to hear these.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing