Your reference piano recordings

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Let's start a thread on this. Here is the only album I could find in my collection that qualifies as my reference, and I have used it for about 15 years now (and what I demonstrated for Frantz at Goodwin's during his Spectral/Q7 audition).

If your system cannot accurately reproduce this piano you have work to do, as I do. If you are not startled by many of the tracks, like track #5 @6:33, you have work to do; thankfully, no problems there for me.

Nojima Plays Liszt on Reference Recordings RR-25 would be my second-best.

So what are your reference piano recordings?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Keith Jarrett...what can you say,I think he is one of the best ever. His Carnegie concert is just wonderful. I read he tunes his own piano,the recording captures all of his artistry and I never tire of this album.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Amina Claudia Myers Tribute to Bessie Smith- the piano has weight and lot's of overtones- i find the voice overloaded on recording but the piano sound is sublime. You need to get the original Leo records pressing the 'audiophile' reissue sounds dead and lifeless.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
FIM 32-bit Remaster Ltd Edition: Loussier Plays Bach
Angela Hewitt Beethoven Piano Concertos
Glenn Gould Bach Goldberg Variations...NOT a superb recording, but one I know well and have been surprised how great it can really sound
Occassionally:
- Oscar Peterson Recordings (many, many, incl the FIM Remaster of We Get Requests)
- MA Recordings Goldberg Variations
- Chopin Nocturnes Moravec
- Scarlatti Sonata - Pletnev

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Another solo piano I played today while flipping through my solo piano recordings:

Dick Hyman plays Fats Waller direct to CD. The story is pretty interesting:
http://www.technofileonline.com/texts/hyman-rr90.html

Because they recorded a Bosendorfer 290SE reproducing piano, they could edit Hyman's playing before "recording live".

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
If by "reference" you mean solo piano and excellent recording, the one I use is this one on MA Recordings:

http://www.marecordings.com/main/pr...id=14&osCsid=4830c4e0668e19d7fe6fdd6532f5f638

View attachment 12631

Milcho Leviev is a great pianist. He has some terrific sounding jazz recordings on Japanese labels in the 70's and 80's and is featured on Art Pepper's great recordings at Ronnie Scott's re-released on Pure Pleasure Records in 2011 (originally released on the Mole label).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Milcho Leviev is a great pianist. He has some terrific sounding jazz recordings on Japanese labels in the 70's and 80's and is featured on Art Pepper's great recordings at Ronnie Scott's re-released on Pure Pleasure Records in 2011 (originally released on the Mole label).

Thanks, Mark. I'm going to hunt down some of those.

Bulgarian Piano Blues was recorded by Todd in a Japanese hall.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
moravec 1.jpg moravec 2.jpg

Wonderful playing and sound. Audiophile before audiophile was a word.

Oh yes, cheesecake cover as were a few others on the label :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
moravec4.jpg moravec5.jpg moravec 6.jpg

Another Moravec, one of the "select" 45 rpm recordings on the Connoisseur Society label. Warning: there seem to be a higher defect rate among the 45 than 33 rpm reissues (though not piano, don't miss Ali Akbar Khan, Master Musician of India @45 rpm!)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012

I have one of these with Milcho and Art Pepper- Blues for the Fisherman, can't remember the label, I've had it a long time, it is not a recent issue. Did Linn release these at some point?

drunkenrabbit

Dec 1, 2013
Sydney, Aus
View attachment 12639 View attachment 12640 View attachment 12641

Another Moravec, one of the "select" 45 rpm recordings on the Connoisseur Society label. Warning: there seem to be a higher defect rate among the 45 than 33 rpm reissues (though not piano, don't miss Ali Akbar Khan, Master Musician of India @45 rpm!)

Yes - I love Moravec, and many of his recordings on Connoisseur and Supraphon. I also like Brendel & of course Claudio Arrau. I was directed to Moravec by Kal R. and shall be forever grateful. Thanks Kal :) and a happy New Year to you.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Chopin Nocturnes played by Moravec is great. Favorite version though I've not heard that many.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing