Anyone ever heard of this virtual speaker software?

speaker

Nov 11, 2013
I was actually looking for more information about the Smyth Realiser, but when I found out it was $3000, I aborted that idea...

Then I found this software mentioned on a headphone forum. I thought this group might know something about it and see what you think.

Here's the link to the website:
http://fongaudio.com

I don't have a PC to run the trial, but I might buy a Windows laptop just to get this software if it really works.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Hello "speaker",

I went to both products & looked.

Software should come after the Near Perfect headphones, and I hope you already have the great headphones.

Take the following with a flake of salt & Maybe you have already done the following:
Try out every quality headphone set you can get your hands on. Should be most with a mail order return policy. Do NOT read any reviews until you have narrowed the selection down to 2 or 3. I only mention reviews because maybe someone has picked up on a problem you have not noticed. If you plan to use the headphones for EXtended listening; then you need to audition with extended listening.

Best to you,
zz.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have the best headphones, to me, that are available. I tried the Smyth and it's pretty amazing. The SPL Phonitor does pretty much the same thing. If you don't like that "In Your Head" sound, then either one of these will work.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Odd that he never uses the word "modeling." That certainly seems to be what he's describing. If they had an OSX version, I'd download and try this now. If it is modeling of real speaker systems in real rooms, it could be pretty terrific. But it will, of course, be limited by the quality of the headphones and the ability of the headphone amp to drive them well. Some headphones would be just fine plugged directly into a laptop, others not so much. And if the Smyth is good modeling, it might actually better than the much more expensive SPL Phonitor.

I find the $99 until 2014, as if the price will go up, rather amusing. Give it a year and it's more likely someone will be offering an equivalent product as a $10 iPhone app.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I emailed this guy last night to ask about ETA on the OSX version. I think he said March, but I don't have that email box in front of me at the moment. There will be a downloadable demo version for OSX and it will be offered for a limited time at $99. The best part was he gave me links to a bunch of demos. Sometimes things like this get very tiring after awile, but I have my doubts about that in this case. It is very subtle, but a couple of demos that switch back and forth between on and off really demonstrate what it does. On 2-channel material, it literally shifts the image forward, out of the head. On examples that sampled large large halls and reflective rooms, the space expanded very noticably. On some examples that were sampled in a heavily treated recording studio control room, the image shifted forward, as it should, but it remained very dry and tight, just like the difference between playing instruments in a control room vs. a very hard-surfaced room with lots of reflective surfaces.

Subtle. Impressive. I will be downloading the OSX demo as soon as its available and trying this out on recordings I'm very familiar with, including some of my own. The 5.1 and 7.1 movie samples were equally impressive. I've listened to a fair amount of Dolby and Yamaha's headphone surround simulations. Yamaha's is better, IMO, but this was better still. Very subtle and natural. Convincing. It makes the others sound like what they are; an effect.

Almost all headphones are built with "color," because flat doesn't sound natural to us when there are no room reflections. With this product, it's not hard to imagine some dead-flat IEMs sounding very good. An iOS version is on the way as well. This is very exciting stuff for people who listen alone and/or on the move.

Tim

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have the best headphones, to me, that are available. I tried the Smyth and it's pretty amazing. The SPL Phonitor does pretty much the same thing. If you don't like that "In Your Head" sound, then either one of these will work.

Hi Bruce,

To what use did you put the Smyth Realiser?

Did you use it to listen to music through headphones, or did you use it in some way in your recording studio?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Bruce,

To what use did you put the Smyth Realiser?

Did you use it to listen to music through headphones, or did you use it in some way in your recording studio?

I used it through headphones. I also "recorded" the ambiance in the studio and it gave a really great representation of that.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing