Review is Live: The KEF LS50

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The KEF LS50 review:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-l...loudspeakers/kef-ls50-loudspeaker-review.html

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the review Andre! I am definitely going to give these a listen at my local dealer.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Another very nice review, Andre. I need to hear those LS50's. BTW, do you think the height and type of stand would have any particular impact on their presentation?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Another very nice review, Andre. I need to hear those LS50's. BTW, do you think the height and type of stand would have any particular impact on their presentation?

Thank you kind sir.

Very good question. Yes, a high quality set of stands will make a difference.

I used Sound Anchors and sand filled Atacama stands, both were 26". Height of stand
will depend on the type of listening chair and the listener.

I personally also like toe in, and the classic triangle set up.

FYI, I sat with the Uni-Q driver right at or just below ear height, as recommended by the KEF rep.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
BTW, do you think the height and type of stand would have any particular impact on their presentation?

Absolutely the type and height of the stands you use will impact the soundstage. I had my stands custom made for the LS50s by Sound Anchor. Unless you have a listening chair that drops your butt close to the ground and/or you are short of stature, a 26" stand may be too short to get the LS50s up to your ear height at the midpoint of the Uni-Q driver. I had my stands made 30" tall and that's without spikes. That's what I need in my room in order to bring the speakers to the correct height.

The more you listen to the LS50s, the more you realize how incredible sounding they are. They take a long time to break in and I'm not convinced I am totally there yet. The more they break in the more they open up and disappear as the source of the sound. Lot's of people are going to sell these speakers short in terms of what they are actually capable of in decent size rooms because of their diminutive size. Just because you can place them on top of desk doesn't mean they belong on top of a desk. They can and will throw a huge soundstage if placed on good stands and moved out into the room. I don't know if that is possible if they are placed into a small room with little separation between the speakers and the distances between the side walls and rear wall.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Absolutely the type and height of the stands you use will impact the soundstage. I had my stands custom made for the LS50s by Sound Anchor. Unless you have a listening chair that drops your butt close to the ground and/or you are short of stature, a 26" stand may be too short to get the LS50s up to your ear height at the midpoint of the Uni-Q driver. I had my stands made 30" tall and that's without spikes. That's what I need in my room in order to bring the speakers to the correct height.

The more you listen to the LS50s, the more you realize how incredible sounding they are. They take a long time to break in and I'm not convinced I am totally there yet. The more they break in the more they open up and disappear as the source of the sound. Lot's of people are going to sell these speakers short in terms of what they are actually capable of in decent size rooms because of their diminutive size. Just because you can place them on top of desk doesn't mean they belong on top of a desk. They can and will throw a huge soundstage if placed on good stands and moved out into the room. I don't know if that is possible if they are placed into a small room with little separation between the speakers and the distances between the side walls and rear wall.

Agree with much of what you say here. We must however be realistic about what a single 5 or six inch driver can do.

I am going to be reviewing some of the speakers in the R series, which use a variation of the Uni Q driver, with additional
bass reinforcement and larger cabinets. Jeff Fritz calls the R series one of the best bargains in audio today.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/features-menu/opinion-menu/293

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Agree with much of what you say here. We must however be realistic about what a single 5 or six inch driver can do.

I am going to be reviewing some of the speakers in the R series, which use a variation of the Uni Q driver, with additional
bass reinforcement and larger cabinets. Jeff Fritz calls the R series one of the best bargains in audio today.

http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/features-menu/opinion-menu/293

My Def Tech BP7000SC speakers are dual D'Appolito speakers which means that each enclosure has four 6 1/2" midbass/midrange drivers and two tweeters. So I went from having eight 6 1/2" woofers and four tweeters down to the LS50s with a single woofer/tweeter per speaker. Think I wasn't *scared* about how that was going to impact the ability to fill my room with sound? I was. Think I wasn't *scared* the first time I hit the mute button to un-mute the preamp and thought it all might be a joke? I was.

I did make the mistake of selling the LS50s short at first and I was very wrong for doing that. I will try and never repeat the mistake of being too quick to judge something. I judged the LS50s before they were broken in and before the custom made Sound Anchor stands arrived. I was using a pair of Paradigm monitor stands that barely weighed more than the LS50s and were not very stable while my Sound Anchor stands were being built. Tim called me out for "speed dating" the LS50s and when I thought about it, he was right.

I decided to unbox the Sound Anchor stands and set them up in my listening room and optimize the placement of the speakers. The Sound Anchor stands weigh 75 lbs each and provide a very stable platform for the LS50s. Just replacing my Paradigm stands with the Sound Anchor stands resulted in a huge jump in SQ. You would think there would be a huge difference in sound between the BP7000SC speakers due to the disparity in the number of drivers that are moving air. The reality is my worst fears never materialized with regards to having a shrunken soundstage and small images upon a small stage.

With regards to using subs with the LS50s which you think is too hard to pull off and you think you will lose the cohesiveness of the LS50s, it's simply not true unless you are someone who turns up your subs to the point that they are always 'there" and stick out like a sore thumb and always make their presence known because they are too loud. I have four subs with each sub having a 14" driver driven by their own 1800 watt amp and each sub has two 14" passive radiators. If you couldn't see the subs, I don't think many people would have any idea how many low frequency drivers were in the room. It does give a foundation to the LS50s in terms of true bottom end that they are incapable of on their own, but yet the magic of the LS50s shine through (which is their cohesiveness and purity of sound).

Recently I switched back to listening to the Def Techs to recalibrate my ears to their sound and let the chips fall where they may. I immediately became aware of the sound the Def Tech enclosures were adding to the sound as it thickened up the bass in a muddy sort of way and I no longer had the incredible purity of sound that the LS50s give you in spades. Many people who have heard both the LS50s and the Blades prefer the LS50s and I think I know why. The bigger the enclosure is and the more drivers that are mounted to it, the more it gives the enclosure a chance to sing along with the music and stamp its sonic thumbprint on the sound. I think that is the genius of the LS50. The enclosures are very small and beautifully engineered and built so they lend little to nothing of themselves in terms of coloration.

The LS50s deserve all of the praise that is being heaped upon them by the reviewers and in my opinion don't deserve some of the caveats that are being tacked on to them.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
My Def Tech BP7000SC speakers are dual D'Appolito speakers which means that each enclosure has four 6 1/2" midbass/midrange drivers and two tweeters. So I went from having eight 6 1/2" woofers and four tweeters down to the LS50s with a single woofer/tweeter per speaker. Think I wasn't *scared* about how that was going to impact the ability to fill my room with sound? I was. Think I wasn't *scared* the first time I hit the mute button to un-mute the preamp and thought it all might be a joke? I was.

I did make the mistake of selling the LS50s short at first and I was very wrong for doing that. I will try and never repeat the mistake of being too quick to judge something. I judged the LS50s before they were broken in and before the custom made Sound Anchor stands arrived. I was using a pair of Paradigm monitor stands that barely weighed more than the LS50s and were not very stable while my Sound Anchor stands were being built. Tim called me out for "speed dating" the LS50s and when I thought about it, he was right.

I decided to unbox the Sound Anchor stands and set them up in my listening room and optimize the placement of the speakers. The Sound Anchor stands weigh 75 lbs each and provide a very stable platform for the LS50s. Just replacing my Paradigm stands with the Sound Anchor stands resulted in a huge jump in SQ. You would think there would be a huge difference in sound between the BP7000SC speakers due to the disparity in the number of drivers that are moving air. The reality is my worst fears never materialized with regards to having a shrunken soundstage and small images upon a small stage.

With regards to using subs with the LS50s which you think is too hard to pull off and you think you will lose the cohesiveness of the LS50s, it's simply not true unless you are someone who turns up your subs to the point that they are always 'there" and stick out like a sore thumb and always make their presence known because they are too loud. I have four subs with each sub having a 14" driver driven by their own 1800 watt amp and each sub has two 14" passive radiators. If you couldn't see the subs, I don't think many people would have any idea how many low frequency drivers were in the room. It does give a foundation to the LS50s in terms of true bottom end that they are incapable of on their own, but yet the magic of the LS50s shine through (which is their cohesiveness and purity of sound).

Recently I switched back to listening to the Def Techs to recalibrate my ears to their sound and let the chips fall where they may. I immediately became aware of the sound the Def Tech enclosures were adding to the sound as it thickened up the bass in a muddy sort of way and I no longer had the incredible purity of sound that the LS50s give you in spades. Many people who have heard both the LS50s and the Blades prefer the LS50s and I think I know why. The bigger the enclosure is and the more drivers that are mounted to it, the more it gives the enclosure a chance to sing along with the music and stamp its sonic thumbprint on the sound. I think that is the genius of the LS50. The enclosures are very small and beautifully engineered and built so they lend little to nothing of themselves in terms of coloration.

The LS50s deserve all of the praise that is being heaped upon them by the reviewers and in my opinion don't deserve some of the caveats that are being tacked on to them.

Every reviewer and listener has there own preferences. I don't like subs. I will repeat what I wrote in the review, in the correct setting,
you don't need them, and they give you everything you desire.

Jeff Dorgay, who owns a pair, and with whom I agree on a good number of things, DOES use a sub with them and prefers it. So many ways
to skin a cat.

Don't get too defensive, they are only speakers. I love my Thiels and Harbeths, and Spendors for that matter, and I have seen folks on various
forums crap all over them. No one has crapped all over the LS50s, but pointing out the obvious, like limited LF and image size is not a knock.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Jeff Dorgay is obviously a brilliant man if he is using subs with the LS50s (insert smiley emoticon here). I don't know what the "correct setting" is for being able to dispense with 2 octave of bass while claiming you don't need it and having the LS50s "give you everything you desire." You just need to clarify that statement and say they give you everything you desire sans subs. With regards to image size, I'm not ready to concede that the image size of the LS50s isn't as accurate as the majority of floor standing speakers. Put them on stands that are the correct height to get the center of the tweeter at your ear level. If your room is large enough, try to get the speakers positioned so that they are 8'-9' apart from center to center. And of course those pesky subs that you don't like help out as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing