Boston, MA
Zitron Anaconda

shunyata-1.JPG

shunyata-2.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It's worse, it's a dealer demo, and no one would be thrilled by the looks of it. In fact, this is the second such experience for me - I bought a Zitron Viper a while ago and it arrived with the innards of the male plug visible; that was never plugged in as a fire hazard and I sent it back. On a more positive note, the Python looks perfect and sounds good too.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
It's worse, it's a dealer demo, and no one would be thrilled by the looks of it. In fact, this is the second such experience for me - I bought a Zitron Viper a while ago and it arrived with the innards of the male plug visible; that was never plugged in as a fire hazard and I sent it back. On a more positive note, the Python looks perfect and sounds good too.

First and foremost we take quality control very seriously at Shunyata Research. We are not always perfect but strive for that in all the products we produce. When there is a problem identified we always find the core problem and fix it.

OK, let's start with the RCA interconnect. That particular cable was an early release production cable that was sent to some dealers before the main run of production cables were built. We did find that the braid and attachment to the RCA was weak so we modified the procedure to built them before the main production run. So, I would appreciate it if you would let us know where you purchased the cable and what the serial number is. You can private email me if you like or you call call our factory or you can supply us with contact information and we will call you.

RCA cables in general are more fragile than XLRs and can be pulled apart if they are pulled out by the cable instead of the connector. This is especially a problem for cables that are used by Cable Co. and Music Direct as demos because they are shipped from person to person and not always treated kindly. Each dealer takes efforts to keep their demos in good condition but cables can be damaged and sent to another customer before the problem has been resolved.

Next the VIPER: We have NEVER received a VIPER that was damaged or had an open connector. So again, I would like to know where you got it? Did you buy it used or new and from whom. What is the serial number if you still have it? Furthermore, all of our power cables that are custom built are potted internally. That means that the wires cannot pull out unless the connector has been intentionally compromised. In testing, we have attached a cable to the ceiling while hanging my full body weight from the connector - and it will not pull loose. BTW, I weigh 200lbs. Every power cable that is built is made by a single craftsman from start to finish. Each person's work is checked by a second craftsman before the connectors are sealed. Each and every cable undergoes two separate connection and polarity tests. Each and every cable is tested on a High-Voltage tester to verify that it can withstand 2500VAC before it is certified to go into inventory. I know of no other company that goes to these lengths to ensure quality and safety.

Thank you,

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Next the VIPER: We have NEVER received a VIPER that was damaged or had an open connector. So again, I would like to know where you got it? Did you buy it used or new and from whom. What is the serial number if you still have it? Furthermore, all of our power cables that are custom built are potted internally. That means that the wires cannot pull out unless the connector has been intentionally compromised. In testing, we have attached a cable to the ceiling while hanging my full body weight from the connector - and it will not pull loose. BTW, I weigh 200lbs. Every power cable that is built is made by a single craftsman from start to finish. Each person's work is checked by a second craftsman before the connectors are sealed. Each and every cable undergoes two separate connection and polarity tests. Each and every cable is tested on a High-Voltage tester to verify that it can withstand 2500VAC before it is certified to go into inventory. I know of no other company that goes to these lengths to ensure quality and safety.

Thank you,
Pretty nice!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
First and foremost we take quality control very seriously at Shunyata Research. We are not always perfect but strive for that in all the products we produce. When there is a problem identified we always find the core problem and fix it.

OK, let's start with the RCA interconnect. That particular cable was an early release production cable that was sent to some dealers before the main run of production cables were built. We did find that the braid and attachment to the RCA was weak so we modified the procedure to built them before the main production run. So, I would appreciate it if you would let us know where you purchased the cable and what the serial number is. You can private email me if you like or you call call our factory or you can supply us with contact information and we will call you.

Goodwin's High End - it would be best if you take it up with them. My eval is done and the cables are going back tomorrow.

RCA cables in general are more fragile than XLRs and can be pulled apart if they are pulled out by the cable instead of the connector. This is especially a problem for cables that are used by Cable Co. and Music Direct as demos because they are shipped from person to person and not always treated kindly. Each dealer takes efforts to keep their demos in good condition but cables can be damaged and sent to another customer before the problem has been resolved.

No signs of stress on this pair; looks like a workmanship issue.

Thank you,

Purchased from MusicDirect, don't know what they did with it after I returned it. Any open connector is a hazard, like what if someone sticks a needle in there... wish I had taken pictures, it's been a few months; the cable was sold as new.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Goodwin's High End - it would be best if you take it up with them. My eval is done and the cables are going back tomorrow.
No signs of stress on this pair; looks like a workmanship issue. Purchased from MusicDirect, don't know what they did with it after I returned it. Any open connector is a hazard, like what if someone sticks a needle in there... wish I had taken pictures, it's been a few months; the cable was sold as new.

Thank you, we will look into it.

Do you still have the cable? If so, contact richard@shunyata.com (Richard Rogers) and we will arrange to replace the cable with a new one.
ph. 360-598-9935

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
If those were Goodwins demos, that would mean they have been loaned out many times, so there's no question they've gone through some stress. Many dealers replace their demo's yearly for just that reason. Those are at least 2.5 years old given the markings so they've been a few places. I've yet to hear from anyone directly or indirectly that has had connection/connector problems with the zi-tron model cables. These look like an early pair that was sent for initial exposure and they need to be replaced. I'll call Goodwins and follow up with them.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I spoke to Goodwins and confirmed that these were their original samples, which would date them at +2.5 years old. The floor manager, Paul Chambers, confirmed that the vast majority of their demo's of all brands of cables become very worn with time and use, especially RCA's. Those original samples should have been replaced after their original eval with full production models. For reasons I can't go back two plus years to determine, they were not and Ill take the credit/blame for that. I have arranged to send them a new demo set.

As for the power cord, we've had no reports of any problems with "open connectors" or _any_ other issue for that matter with any power cord. Music Direct will have a record of that return, so I will follow up with them. If that is a real issue, both ourselves and the dealer would certainly want to know.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I followed up with Bes at Music Direct. Since you and I have communicated in the past, I gave him your name for an order-records search on our products so we could locate this power cord. Music Direct has no record of any order or return of our products from you since early 2012, which was a short-length Copperhead power cord. That was not returned. Perhaps this Viper power cord came from a different dealer?

My final thought on Goodwins is that they've been our dealer for more than ten years. In that time, we have had _zero_ products returned for any QC issue, nor have any of their customers had an issue. In general, any manufacturer of power-related products would not enjoy the support of the country's better dealers and overseas distributors if they had endemic QC issues, as your thread-header and comments imply. Are we perfect? Of course not, but we do take these kinds of complaints seriously. I am sorry if you had some issue or disappointment. I've done what I can to correct it.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I followed up with Bes at Music Direct. Since you and I have communicated in the past, I gave him your name for an order-records search on our products so we could locate this power cord. Music Direct has no record of any order or return of our products from you since early 2012, which was a short-length Copperhead power cord. That was not returned. Perhaps this Viper power cord came from a different dealer?

My final thought on Goodwins is that they've been our dealer for more than ten years. In that time, we have had _zero_ products returned for any QC issue, nor have any of their customers had an issue. In general, any manufacturer of power-related products would not enjoy the support of the country's better dealers and overseas distributors if they had endemic QC issues, as your thread-header and comments imply. Are we perfect? Of course not, but we do take these kinds of complaints seriously. I am sorry if you had some issue or disappointment. I've done what I can to correct it.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Thank you Grant. It's been a while, but according to this thread http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-with-Shunyata-Ξtron&highlight=shunyata+viper I did eventually exchange it for a Copperhead, so MusicDirect's records may not be that accurate. I appreciate the fact you take these things seriously.

EDIT: According to that other thread, the Viper was drop-shipped to me by the factory (and I will try to find the MusicDirect receipt on that transaction), and I suspect I returned it right back to the factory, when I exchanged it for the Copperhead, which may have been drop-shipped as well, but can't really recall. The bottom line is that the factory should hopefully have a record of shipping this Viper to me, and probably getting it back (with the explanation for the return).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing