What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was thinking of starting a thread on this exact topic and then I found this old one. Perhaps we can revive it.

(Note: I was looking at Duke's recommendation but I have to stay away from floor-firing woofers because I live in an apartment building)

Have you experimented? Get a cheap 100 USD downward firing sub, put it on auralex gramma, and then check with neighbors downstairs?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I have. When I first moved in I had a down-firing REL Acoustics subwoofer. I got a complaint in the first week from the neighbour below me. (not even the one directly below me -- his neighbour).
As such, I have since ruled out speakers like the Tune Audio Anima and the Auto-Tech Universalum.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have. When I first moved in I had a down-firing REL Acoustics subwoofer. I got a complaint in the first week from the neighbour below me. (not even the one directly below me -- his neighbour).
As such, I have since ruled out speakers like the Tune Audio Anima and the Auto-Tech Universalum.

Did you try putting Auralex Gramma under it? My Martin Logan Summits had downward firing woofers. I bought a mat that is placed under washing machines to stop their vibrations from going to the floor under. On that I put Auralex Gramma. Complaints from neighbors stopped

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Has anyone heard the "Son" speaker by Wolf von Langa?
http://www.wolfvonlanga.com/speaker-systems/son/gallery-son.html

Yeah I have and reported on the system here.

Teaser pics, but there are more at the link.

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
good thread to revive.

there is quite a bit interesting stuff in high efficient land:

AG Duo XD
Cessaro Wagner
Zu Druid V
Voxativ Pi system
DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
good thread to revive.

there is quite a bit interesting stuff in high efficient land:

AG Duo XD
Cessaro Wagner
Zu Druid V
Voxativ Pi system
DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/96

Yet to hear the DeVore. The Voxativ I have hated and liked more than I thought I could ever after the first exposure. Which just goes to show how wrong initial assessments can be. That said, they still aren't for me.

AG and Zu I have liked, indeed the former can be amazing. Cessaro - I have heard a few and I haven't liked any of them. No matter the price.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
It looks like the RA is the one model that meets the >95 dB efficiency rating specified earlier in this thread. I had spoken with T&F about 4 years ago when I was auditioning speakers to replace my highly-inefficient ones and I really wanted to hear the RA. Unfortunately there wasn't a pair to demo anywhere close to where I live. -good guys to deal with and I've heard nothing but good things about that particular model.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It looks like the RA is the one model that meets the >95 dB efficiency rating specified earlier in this thread. I had spoken with T&F about 4 years ago when I was auditioning speakers to replace my highly-inefficient ones and I really wanted to hear the RA. Unfortunately there wasn't a pair to demo anywhere close to where I live. -good guys to deal with and I've heard nothing but good things about that particular model.

Visit people who have made DIY VoTT stuff. You might stumble on something

Reactions: Jon

Ron2112

May 19, 2016
Horning Speakers may be another consideration.
I've had the Horning Euphridite pm65-98db and currently have the Agalme statements 101db.
Both have that very "alive in your room" quality, the mfgr general placement will get you pretty close with a little bit of adjustment.
The Agalmes do need a bigger room though. Mine is 16x23, however my friend who previously had em found them to be a bit much for his smaller room. The Euphrodites worked better in his room this of course how we wound up with each other's speakers...

I can't in all honesty call em my last speakers as that never seems to happen this crazy hobby however since I got the Algalmes I've quit looking....for now.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I heard Horning speakers at the Montreal show a few years ago (I forget which model) and I liked them. My only problem was integration: the bass sounded like a different speaker than the upper/mid. Both parts were good but, to my ears, they were so different from one another that the music seemed 'split.'

kantx

Apr 29, 2018
Elsinore

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing