What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
CTT, those Charney Concertos look the real deal, w the highly regarded AER drivers option at $28k.
That’s a v good price for a potentially super excellent sound.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
There is only one full-range high-efficiency speaker that does not use strange drivers or horns, Vapor Audio Nimbus. Nothing like it. Images almost as well as ribbons. Breaks windows with 30W.

Vapor Nimbus2.jpg

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Here is a new rear loaded horn builder that I have had the pleasure of auditioning and plan to purchase in the near future:

http://charneyaudio.com/

Each of Charney's creations punch way above the price point with the Concerto being the best I have ever listened to.

CTT

Hi Toad,

Does the bass of the Concerto fire backwards? I have seen schematics that show air coming forwards off that split rear baffle thing but doesn’t seem correct.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’ve been known to occasionally mention Zu on these forums.
So I’ll do so again.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bill asked about bass backwards. The B is important

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since when Keith? I haven't logged on to AC in ages.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hello Viking. So you gonna do a new DB? LOL They worked well down to Keith's (Nephilim) 45 tube amps.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Since when Keith? I haven't logged on to AC in ages.

Ryan (owner) lost his wife in a fire at a hotel. As you may imagine... things have not been the best after that. It's hard to say what the future holds. I'd hoped that Vapor would really become a better more mature company prior to that. Who knows what happens now...

At least there are some very happy owners out there. Doug Schroeder has a pair as well.

C.T.Toad

Jan 23, 2013
Coastal South Jersey
Hi Toad,

Does the bass of the Concerto fire backwards? I have seen schematics that show air coming forwards off that split rear baffle thing but doesn’t seem correct.

Hi Bill,
I wouldn't say the bass fires backwards, but all of Charney's rear loaded horns couple with the room to produce bass. They are designed to be placed close to the front wall or in room corners. You can adjust the bass to your liking by moving them closer to or further out from the front wall. Since my first post I have picked up a pair of Maestro's with the Omega RS7 Driver. More than one friend has commented on the depth and quality of bass as well as imaging with the 3D soundstage they produce in my 11'x15'x8' room. I have known Brian Charney for about 11 years. For some time he was talking about building a high eff horn based on the tractrix theory. He has owned many high eff speakers (Avant Guard, Carfrae Little Big Horn, etc...) and knew he could build something better. In my opinion he has done it! A truly amazing sound experience to be had. If you live relatively near to Somerset NJ I highly recommend setting up an audition with Charney. If you live far away its a 20 minute drive from Newark Liberty Airport to his place. Brian will gladly pick you up and spend the afternoon spinning tunes.
About a month ago he called and asked me to stop by and check out the newest AER driver offering for the Concerto. I was gobsmacked at what I listened to. He kept asking "What do you think?" I replied "I don't have to think! It's all there!" I checked my mind at the door and was taken away by the music. No need to "listen" for certain things or make mental trade offs, just pure unadulterated music enveloping the room. I'm not much of an Opera fan but on the AER Concerto I couldn't get enough of it! Emotions dripping from the throat of the female soprano that moved me sung in a language I don't understand! I could go on but, hey all you wanted to know about was the direction the bass fires from.
Chris

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ryan (owner) lost his wife in a fire at a hotel. As you may imagine... things have not been the best after that. It's hard to say what the future holds. I'd hoped that Vapor would really become a better more mature company prior to that. Who knows what happens now...

At least there are some very happy owners out there. Doug Schroeder has a pair as well.

That is some very tragic news. I hope he will be able to recover from such a devastating loss.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,
I wouldn't say the bass fires backwards, but all of Charney's rear loaded horns couple with the room to produce bass. They are designed to be placed close to the front wall or in room corners. You can adjust the bass to your liking by moving them closer to or further out from the front wall. Since my first post I have picked up a pair of Maestro's with the Omega RS7 Driver. More than one friend has commented on the depth and quality of bass as well as imaging with the 3D soundstage they produce in my 11'x15'x8' room. I have known Brian Charney for about 11 years. For some time he was talking about building a high eff horn based on the tractrix theory. He has owned many high eff speakers (Avant Guard, Carfrae Little Big Horn, etc...) and knew he could build something better. In my opinion he has done it! A truly amazing sound experience to be had. If you live relatively near to Somerset NJ I highly recommend setting up an audition with Charney. If you live far away its a 20 minute drive from Newark Liberty Airport to his place. Brian will gladly pick you up and spend the afternoon spinning tunes.
About a month ago he called and asked me to stop by and check out the newest AER driver offering for the Concerto. I was gobsmacked at what I listened to. He kept asking "What do you think?" I replied "I don't have to think! It's all there!" I checked my mind at the door and was taken away by the music. No need to "listen" for certain things or make mental trade offs, just pure unadulterated music enveloping the room. I'm not much of an Opera fan but on the AER Concerto I couldn't get enough of it! Emotions dripping from the throat of the female soprano that moved me sung in a language I don't understand! I could go on but, hey all you wanted to know about was the direction the bass fires from.
Chris

Thanks, Chris. Yes the Concerto looks really very interesting especially coupled with an AER BD4! Alas I am in UK so it would be really far to visit. That said I sometimes come to Princeton with work so never know.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Last time I spoke with Ryan he was planning to hire more help so that he could deliver better customer service and shorter lead-times.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I cannot help noticing in this thread people mixing sensitivity with efficiency a common confusion

They are not really the same thing but have similarities

Most speakers are very inefficient about 1% or so ie conversion of electrical energy into acoustic energy.

This is often the reason people wonder why an amplifier based on sensitivity won’t actually drive a speaker adequately, because although sensitivity across a speaker remains normalised, efficiency of various components of a speaker vary considerably, due to current draw.

Sensitivity measurements has a fundamental assumption that the amplifier will always be able to provide sufficient current, for some difficult impedance speakers this may not actually hold true despite the sensitivity of its rating, a recent discussion about the Tannoy Westminster a case in point elsewhere on WBF

Conversely Devore 0/96 is both higher Sensitivity than average and a very benign load also, making it very easy to drive

Note also that electrostatic bass panels are often very efficient but the speaker may have relatively low sensitivity but very little current is required as the bass panel is of such high impedance eg CLX, which is why tube amplifiers with low current capability often drive electrostatics easily despite their sensitivity.

I provide an explanatory link

https://www.stereophile.com/content/measuring-loudspeakers-part-one-page-3

C.T.Toad

Jan 23, 2013
Coastal South Jersey
Thanks, Chris. Yes the Concerto looks really very interesting especially coupled with an AER BD4! Alas I am in UK so it would be really far to visit. That said I sometimes come to Princeton with work so never know.

Bill, Charney Audio is about a 30min drive from Princeton. If your without transportation I'm sure Brian would have no problem arranging a pick up and return.

Chris

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Very helpful

I have heard quite a few high efficiency speakers. All of them have trade-offs which you may or may not find important, depending on your preference for sound.

- Large horn speakers (e.g. Avantgarde Duo, Trio, or Acapella): the most explosive dynamics and able to fill the room with sound. However, more often than not the horns do not integrate properly and imaging is very poor. Needs a large room and budget.

- Dual Concentric (e.g. Tannoy). I have heard quite a few of these, and nearly all of them have natural lifelike dynamics (horns can sound a little excessive), wonderful coherency, and superb imaging. The downside is the rosy coloration or a midrange thickness that makes everything sound rather 1950's. The other downside is that they should not be played too loud, otherwise you may damage the speaker.

- Full range single driver (e.g. Coral). I have not heard a single one of these speakers which I like - rolled off top and bottom, and they sound small and incapable of filling a room with sound (unless you have a small room).

- Boxed multi-driver (e.g. Zu and WLM). These tend to vary quite a lot and do not have a sonic signature which can be generalized to the whole class of speaker. I find most boxed speakers to be fairly boring in sound and it's difficult for me to get excited about these.

You sound (sorry for the pun) as if you have tried quite a lot.
I think I recall a very good article in HiFi World, and it was interesting insofar as the conclusion was that the speaker is the most inherently coloured part of an audio chain, and with all designs there are significant compromises that when faced off against another topology they are found wanting elsewhere.

The first speaker to absolutely blow my mind with imaging were, as it happens, some Avantgarde Unos (or was it Solos) I thought it was utterly magical. I wonder if it is my ears romanticising the past, or if they truly were the best speakers I have heard. I am always drawn to the idea of horns, but alas, I now have a very small room with monitor style set up, and but for Rethms smallest speakers I think horns are out of the question

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If the topic starter would have said minimum 20 Watts i d say my designs off course., And i mean really drive from house to jazz to orchestra

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing