What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I would have installed my gear incl Zus in the old space somewhat differently knowing what I now know.

I would certainly have maxxed out on acoustics treatments, more absorption and maybe some diffraction.

I probably would have gone for seperate subs, all dsp controlled.

I’d have set up the Zus more symmetrically in the room, certainly at the very least building more side wall reinforcement to one of the spkrs, likely a bookcase or record shelves (my Zus were set up w one 2’ from a wall, the other in free space).

Maybe I’d have moved up to horns LOL, likely the new AG Duo Mezzo HD.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Once in a while I check out the Steve Hoffman forum and the last time I checked, he had moved from Voxativ to AN-Es so I'd be going in the other direction. He loved the Voxativ but found them a little hot and aggressive at times and loves the warmth and tone of the AN-E. I'm in that camp myself and, believe it or not, I'd actually like a speaker that was even warmer that my AN-Es. I can't stand any sort of upper midrange or treble hotness, whiteness, aggression, brightness, shout, tightness, or hardness. That was the main problem I had with the Tune Audio Marvel. My room is problematic because it has lots of glass and concrete that I'm not willing to cover up so it's part of the equation and I work within those confines when selecting gear. I'll stop rambling now.

If you are looking for warmer than AN-E, not sure either Zu or Vox will fit that bill. Will be interesting to hear about your demos of each though.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
You might also check out Shindo speakers - forgot about them. They are certainly not fatiguing in the least.

I did an extensive audition of them back in 2005. The system was pleasant but it isn't what I'm looking for. The same is true of Devore speakers with Shindo electronics that I've heard at shows. I find the sound to be sort of enjoyable on an emotional level but not big, immediate, bold, impactful, and room-filling. To me they sound sort of woolly and small. Note, I've also heard systems with AN-Es that sound like this.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, sorry to labour things, but try not to go into any Zu demo w any preconceptions.

35W SETs makes them fill an 800 sq ft room.
They are dynamic, toneful and soulful.

Yes, they may not be what you want in the end. But they could pleasantly surprise you.

Woolly, they are not.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Simple solution

Marc,
Zu is definitely on my radar and you know I have that demo coming up. I can go the extra mile to hear the Druid VI or Definitions IV after that.
I'm planning on going to a system of 3 or 4 subwoofers to smooth out the bass problems in my room and add more of a sense of space and immersion to my system. As such, I wouldn't need the 9.87 because most of the frequency range below 100hz or so will be covered. The thing is, I like a really 'big' sound and I'm not sure I can get that from the single Voxativ driver. The Zu 'deaf heads' in combination with the subs might actually sound good.
Once in a while I check out the Steve Hoffman forum and the last time I checked, he had moved from Voxativ to AN-Es so I'd be going in the other direction. He loved the Voxativ but found them a little hot and aggressive at times and loves the warmth and tone of the AN-E. I'm in that camp myself and, believe it or not, I'd actually like a speaker that was even warmer that my AN-Es. I can't stand any sort of upper midrange or treble hotness, whiteness, aggression, brightness, shout, tightness, or hardness. That was the main problem I had with the Tune Audio Marvel. My room is problematic because it has lots of glass and concrete that I'm not willing to cover up so it's part of the equation and I work within those confines when selecting gear. I'll stop rambling now.

1] Look for some 20 to 60 year old speakers that have an excellent cabinet with good cubic volume.
2] Must have 12" paper cone driver. Paper cone must be in great shape. Yes they will survive 60 years if not abused.
3] Disconnect all the other drivers.
4] Disconnect the crossover.
5] Run direct to the 12" paper cone driver. Again, paper cone must be in great shape.

You should initially pick-up a trashy set and try it [again, paper cone must be in great shape]. If you like it go up the chain to a beautiful set. Be aware, sometimes the trashy will sound better than the beautiful.

zz.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
1] Look for some 20 to 60 year old speakers that have an excellent cabinet with good cubic volume.
2] Must have 12" paper cone driver. Paper cone must be in great shape. Yes they will survive 60 years if not abused.
3] Disconnect all the other drivers.
4] Disconnect the crossover.
5] Run direct to the 12" paper cone driver. Again, paper cone must be in great shape.

You should initially pick-up a trashy set and try it [again, paper cone must be in great shape]. If you like it go up the chain to a beautiful set. Be aware, sometimes the trashy will sound better than the beautiful.

zz.

Why is this a solution?

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Why is this a solution?

Did you read his criteria: "I can't stand any sort of upper midrange or treble hotness, whiteness, aggression, brightness, shout, tightness, or hardness. That was the main problem I had with the Tune Audio Marvel. My room is problematic because it has lots of glass and concrete that I'm not willing to cover up so it's part of the equation and I work within those confines when selecting gear."

It is extremely surprising what an old-style 12" paper cone can do. I am older than dirt and have heard so many audio systems. If I need music occaisionally in a miscellaneous room [garage, basement, etc.] I will throw in 12" paper cone drivers in cabinets. He stated he does not want "any sort of upper midrange or treble hotness, whiteness, aggression, brightness, shout, tightness, or hardness". This is a "simple solution".

Best to you,
zz.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sounds like a plan for disaster to me. You'd only be getting maybe to 600hz successfully, but it'd be all messy without correction for room gain.

I thought you meant just for subwoofers, and that would be OK but I didn't see the point of not building something new with 12" paper cones. You can get basically any old JBL driver you want, or the equivalent.

The best option to reduce defraction and bad reflections is to go with horns of some type. The marvel speakers have no horn, and are small in the midrange. Really, some Duke Lajune speakers would fit the bill.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Folsom, Exlibris has just auditioned the latest AG Duo Mezzo XDs, and didn’t take to them.

I’m going to pitch the Zu concept as maybe just right for his needs, preferences.

101dB eff and a smooth 8 Ohms load, full blooded/tone dense/dynamic 40Hz-12kHz full range drivers w no crossover to sap energy, just a simple cap and resistor high-pass filter to exemplary Radian 850 supertweeter, semi-horn loaded with a sweet non-spotlit signature.

With careful attention to placement, spkr cbls, room treatments and optimal/sympathetic tube amps synergy, it’s a winning sound (absolutely no bias from me).

The Druids work well w separate subs, the Definitions have them onboard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No bias? You've posted about them a dozen times on this thread lol.

:confused: I thought that he did so on your system thread

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
I can't stand any sort of upper midrange or treble hotness, whiteness, aggression, brightness, shout, tightness, or hardness. That was the main problem I had with the Tune Audio Marvel.

I don't recognize this at all in the Marvels I have in my office system. I listen to them for hours at a time as I'm working and they're not only really enjoyable to listen to, but totally fatigueless too.

I'm not sure they're worth their current retail price, but if you could get them for a heavily discounted price new, or for a good price used, I'd have no hesitation in recommending them.

Mani.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thanks for the words of encouragement, boys.
But I guess you’ve all got the message, so I can desist now.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Has anyone heard the Voxativ AMPEGGIO X (10th Anniversary Field-Coil Edition) or the original Ampeggio?

Heard it in Munich and while it was the best I have heard Vovativ sound I would consider other options, like a Horning Eufrodite, for like half the price.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm imagining the same thing.

There is a pair of Odeon La Boheme for sale on Audiomarkt.de that will give you amazing sound...far better than I have heard from Zu or Voxativ. They are nearly 20 years old now but are about 98db and revealing but oh so smooth in the highs. Coherence is single driver level without the drawbacks. Serious punch and drive. The one "but" is the last octave of bass is not so strong.

This is what I run and I frequently get the "oh wow" from even experienced listeners with nice systems. Non-audiophiles are simply shocked by the realism they are capable of producing.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Heard it in Munich and while it was the best I have heard Vovativ sound I would consider other options, like a Horning Eufrodite, for like half the price.

Hey Brad - what are your general thoughts on Horning? I'll be honest, I didn't get the sound but only heard them once under show conditions.

I know Dev who used to be more active on WBF moved from Hornings to AG Duos last year.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I'm imagining the same thing.

Hey Brad - what are your general thoughts on Horning? I'll be honest, I didn't get the sound but only heard them once under show conditions.

I know Dev who used to be more active on WBF moved from Hornings to AG Duos last year.

Well, here's the thing, the last pair I heard was the Agathon Ultimate, which is a quite old model. However, it left a very positive impression that I still remember more than 10 years later. The new Eufrodite Ellipse is very interesting to me as a higher WAF speaker to my awesome Odeons. I may try to hear a pair soon and also a pair of Acapella La Campanella IIs. More likely I will keep my beloved La Bohemes.

The bass design of the Hornings, which is a double TQWT, gives a very natural and dynamic bass...real thrust to the bass and superb texture.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing