Can you teach an old dog a new trick??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a feeling that many ( most?) of the members here are of the "baby boomer" era or perhaps even a little older. ;)
Since I am definitely of this group, and since many of this group seem to be VERY set in their ways, I wonder how many of us are
missing a great deal of pleasure and enjoyment from various alternative forms of music and music playback:confused:.
The other day an a'phile friend debated with me that the high end as we now know it will probably cease to exist in the next
twenty (20) or so years:(. I didn't believe this was the case; my argument being that so long as people wanted to hear a more profound
sense of reality of the musical event...then high-end or something very like it would exist. My friend's argument was that since the current
generation of a'philes is primarily from the era mentioned and not so open minded about music, that the younger generation which isn't tied to their "listening style and favorite type of music" and therefore avails themselves of more ways to listen to music....will have no reason to seek out a sense of reality; which will diminish in favor of exposure to even larger amounts of easily accesible music.
The other argument that my friend also used ( and IMHO this was more difficult to rebut) was the fact that as music gets more and more streamed,
and is therefore more easily accessible, that any ritual for listening will likely be seen as a negative and dismissed. ( He specifically mentioned the
aspect of LP cleaning, storage and of the whole LP ritual that one has to undertake to get the best from vinyl).
My first question is can you teach an old dog new tricks, or are we very much set in our ways and unwilling to at least give all formats
and music styles their due ( digital vs. analog....rap vs. classical etc). Secondly, is the younger generation so set in their ways that our hobby will probably die out in the next twenty (20) or so years as my a'phile friend predicts and argues?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Twenty (20) years from now, I bet that they will still release newly remastered albums (vinyl) of the entire Miles Davis' discography (catalog)!

_______

1. It's up to us to explore new musical avenues or be stuck with the ones we're in. ...Personally I'm an explorer, of new music and all that jazz.
{And I live mainly in a digital world; the analog one being the nostalgic one, the one of my youth, the one I grew up with, and still love.}

2. No way Jose! Music is still an always revolving evolution; just like it was yesterday and like it will be tomorrow.
I cannot predict the future with certainty, but I sure have an idea based on yesterday and today.

* And from that that is why I say that evolving also comprises of resurrecting the past to make it better today and tomorrow.
And who knows for sure what tomorrow will bring; analog DSP multichannel?

Next question please. ;)

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I'm not COMPLETELY stuck in my ways but pretty much.

I think high end audio as we know it is already dying. I got into this hobby right out of college in the 60's. Younger folks have way more options that I did: the internet, gaming, portable audio options, downloadable music; home theater, etc. Will it ever completely die? Who knows. But 20 years is an eternity when it comes to new (electronic) entertainment options to compete with high end audio as we know it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think old dogs will go with servers and the pups will go for vinyl. Actually, it's already happening.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think old dogs will go with servers and the pups will go for vinyl. Actually, it's already happening.

Yo, Jack, I see Fremer is coming to the thrilla in Manila. You know him/gonna hook up w/him?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Davey- 'high end' in whatever form (CD, SACD, server-based, vinyl) is a niche market and it may continue to morph but there will always be some percentage of the population, however small, that:
is buying high-priced gear;
are 'early adopters' of new tech, or
are contrarians, antiquarians, or some other splinter element of the fringe.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yup, Dinner saturday night hosted by my friends at AV Driver Intl. That's the evening of the first day of our show. I hope I can still stand.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Perhaps it's a situation whereby we need to teach the young dogs some old tricks. I think it works both ways.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing