Preamp with built in DAC & MC Phonostage

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Due to limited rack space in my family room rack, I will probably have to consolidate some things. As such, I'm looking for a preamp with a built in DAC and Phonostage.

Mcintosh 2500/C50 comes to mind....

Any others?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
The Monarchy NM24 is a tube DAC,SS DAC,and SS preamp. I recommend the tube DAC.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Have you considered an integrated amp / preamp / dac as an alternative?

We have a new product called the IPS-3 which might be a great solution. All you would need is an outboard phonostage.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Tinn
Playback Designs

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Have you considered an integrated amp / preamp / dac as an alternative?

We have a new product called the IPS-3 which might be a great solution. All you would need is an outboard phonostage.

Best Regards,

Jonathan Tinn
Playback Designs

Jonathan - this looks like a terrific product - congrats! Love the DSD capabilities. :cool:

Mike

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks everyone. I'm thinking Accuphase 2420 (with optional DAC/Phono cards) as well.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Boulder has an option as well, but the Accuphase is a great option as well.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The Devialet could be an option... DAC/Amp/Streamer... I did however understand that you have choice amp

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

I've just checked out Wizard's blog and the Wadax looks like it's been upgraded to Mark II status. It really does look like an incredible device that ticks a lot of boxes particularly for vinyl replay and archiving. The only shortcoming may be the USB input that seems to be limited to 24-bit/48K.

Wizard, I'm providing the link here, but please let me know if you'd like me to remove it.

http://cybwiz.blogspot.fr/2013/11/wadax-pre-one-mk2.html

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks guys. The Wadax definitely looks interesting.

I'm getting a Devialet 170 and Accuphase e-560 to demo next week. I'm not 100% committed to the amp + preamp/DAC combo yet. An integrated might be the best way to go.

And if the VAC i160 can drive my S5's in a big room (45' x 15') - then that's a definite option as well.

Vitus R-100 is also very high on my list as well.

To be honest....I am totally lost on what to drive the S5's with. For now, its a JOB225 + Classe CP800! That little JOB225 is just ridiculously good. If Classe ever gets off their butts and upgrades the DAC in the CP800 and adds the phonostage they've long been promising, then I would just need an amp.

I'm also keeping a close eye on the Pass XA.8 series amps.

Lots of goodies!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have you looked at AVM from Germany? They can be configured with DAC, Tuner, Phono and even your choice of single ended or balanced solid state or tube output stage.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing