Multiple drivers

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guys don't laugh:p...today I was in my local Hollister clothing store:eek: Now for any of you who have visited these establishments:D ( which I must state is NOT my usual hang-out:rolleyes:LOL) you know that music is played throughout the store and played fairly loudly. What struck me this visit was the overall sound quality wasn't that bad...in fact, several of the customer's commented that they thought the sound of a bell that was on the system sounded remarkably lifelike! I happened to agree with them. Now the system in this store is FAR from anything exotic, BUT.....BUT they are utilizing numerous speakers that are placed all around the store with multiples of drivers! I thought the speakers looked like a cheap version of a Bose two driver speaker.... so what's going on here??:confused: By all rights, the shop system should sound like ****....not the case. I wonder if one of the answer's for great reproduction in a larger space is multiple speakers and multiple drivers that are easily driven and therefore dynamic.
Pipedreams and Scaena's come to mind here.
BTW, I'm NOT going out just yet and selling off my gear in favor of multiples of Bose's....or am I,LOL.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Probably their computer generated room treatments and judicious logistics in placing clothing racks.

Actually, place a reasonably decent boom box in a very large space somewhere in the corner, it can sound pretty good. Size of space can sometimes do a little to make up for quality of source (or lack thereof).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
These stores are hellish. The music choice is not often bad by itself, but the loud volume and the oppressive low lighting make it horrible to stay more than 5 minutes. It's not even good for a quick bathroom run, as the stores are often maze-like, and it's kinda hard to find out where the bathrooms are :)

alexandre

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
These stores are hellish. The music choice is not often bad by itself, but the loud volume and the oppressive low lighting make it horrible to stay more than 5 minutes. It's not even good for a quick bathroom run, as the stores are often maze-like, and it's kinda hard to find out where the bathrooms are :)

alexandre

All good points. Plus, the smell of cheap perfume basically knocks you out:(! However, I have to also agree that the music isn't that bad. Now here's the thing, I was listening to probably thirty or more speakers with multiple little drivers in each speaker and the darn things didn't sound bad from a quality point. We have all heard these musak type cheap speakers in retail establishments before....I have not been at all impressed by any of them. However, most of these type of systems do not use multiple drivers and multiple arrays.
cjfrbw, you mention computer generated room treatments...what are you specifically referring to?:confused:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Arrays are a great way to get even coverage with low distortion. There are tricks however. Trick number one is set them up for mono playback. The next trick is to use quality distribution amplifiers.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
cjfrbw, you mention computer generated room treatments...what are you specifically referring to?:confused:

Sorry, Davey, just a joke that went flat.

However, having multiple small speakers all over the ceilings can create a sort of fake omni driver effect.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry, Davey, just a joke that went flat.

However, having multiple small speakers all over the ceilings can create a sort of fake omni driver effect.

Ok, I guess I just didn't get the joke.
BTW, I think you are probably right about the fake Omni driver effect....this is kind of what it sounded like.
Which brings me to my next question....anyone here using Omni driver speakers? I think the Shahinians are an example of this type of speaker....and they can sound very impressive in the right environment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing