Let me get your opinion

taters

Jun 6, 2012
I was at a audio open house yesterday and they were mostly playing chamber music. I like most music but I just can't get into that kind of music. I asked one of the employees to put something on more contemporary. When he did this the guy playing the chamber music rolled his eyes. Do you think it was rude for me to try and change the pace? It was just so boring.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't know, but if I listen to a system with that female vocalist singing "Roxanne" one more time, I am in serious danger of busting it up with a lead pipe.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I am partial to lute music over chamber.

I would not be too pleased if someone asked me to turn it off and play something like the kids are listening to these days, I think they refer to it as rocks and roll.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If everyone else who was there was simply enthralled with listening to the chamber music except you, asking them to change the music might have been rude. If you asked them to play something by M&M rapping about his lovely mother, that would definitely have been rude.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Jafo

"audio open house" - your statement, but not defined.
If this was a commercial establishment trying to sell equipment, they need to keep the prospective customers happy.
Therefore who are the "real customers" - $$$ & Possible desire to buy the demo'ed audio gear.
If you are the "real possible customer" - F___ EM - especially rolling eyes.

Do you know the military term: JAFO.

zz.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unless the piece being played was another 30 minutes of unbearable irritation, then maybe it was a bit rude. After all....different strokes for different folks. I happen to like Chamber music, so I'm glad I wasn't there. :p

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There is a considerable body of "contemporary" chamber music...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I was at a audio open house yesterday and they were mostly playing chamber music. I like most music but I just can't get into that kind of music. I asked one of the employees to put something on more contemporary. When he did this the guy playing the chamber music rolled his eyes. Do you think it was rude for me to try and change the pace? It was just so boring.

I don't think you were out of line at all. Demo music should conform to what the REAL potential purchasers are listening to. The tire kickers (20-30 year olds without the appropriate money to spend) shouldn't have a say in the matter.

With that said, Chamber music is good. Early music gets annoying after not too long. So does harpsichord music--that's why they use pianos today instead.

Rap Crap, Hip Flop and other lousy modern music need not ever be played at equipment demos.

Dynamic orchestral music is best. Good dynamic tonal rock and roll is also good. I want to see what components can do with dynamics and frequency range. I, too, will go into a rage if there is another solo female vocalist performing a soulful song or anything other than a Wagnerian opera.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
My friends and I had a room at RMAF where we played all sorts of music, and it often wasn't the music that I like. If, however, we had played only the music that I like, we would have quickly lost half of the listeners. My take is that if those who had the open house did not let people know what music to expect, they should have allowed a variety of selections without quibble, and eye rolling counts as quibbling. Otherwise, why have an open house?

Still, there is protocol to consider. For example, I don't know how I would have felt if someone wanted to toss out all the equipment in the room, so they could try theirs. :D

I am partial to lute music over chamber.

I would not be too pleased if someone asked me to turn it off and play something like the kids are listening to these days, I think they refer to it as rocks and roll.

Would smashing a lute be very expensive? :D :D :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My friends and I had a room at RMAF where we played all sorts of music, and it often wasn't the music that I like. If, however, we had played only the music that I like, we would have quickly lost half of the listeners. My take is that if those who had the open house did not let people know what music to expect, they should have allowed a variety of selections without quibble, and eye rolling counts as quibbling. Otherwise, why have an open house?

Still, there is protocol to consider. For example, I don't know how I would have felt if someone wanted to toss out all the equipment in the room, so they could try theirs. :D

So true. I had this happen to me personally. Someone was more interested in trying to hook up a component of theirs, as opposed to listening to new my newly acquired speakers with my own setup.

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida

I don't think you were out of line at all. Demo music should conform to what the REAL potential purchasers are listening to. The tire kickers (20-30 year olds without the appropriate money to spend) shouldn't have a say in the matter.

With that said, Chamber music is good. Early music gets annoying after not too long. So does harpsichord music--that's why they use pianos today instead.

Rap Crap, Hip Flop and other lousy modern music need not ever be played at equipment demos.

Dynamic orchestral music is best. Good dynamic tonal rock and roll is also good. I want to see what components can do with dynamics and frequency range. I, too, will go into a rage if there is another solo female vocalist performing a soulful song or anything other than a Wagnerian opera.

Gary.......I couldn't agree more. The difficult part of determining dynamics and frequency range comes from auditioning equipment with unfamiliar music no matter the genre. Musical tastes will always vary when there is a group audience.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Myopinion is that open houses are open houses but they still have hosts whose wishes must be respected. If one wants to have full rein and reign over what's played, schedule a solo audition. Again, just my opinion.

theguesswho

Feb 25, 2012
Connecticut
Garyprotien said," Good dynamic tonal rock and roll is also good." after he said "Rap Crap, Hip Flop and other lousy modern music need not ever be played at equipment demos."

Gary you mean CRAP and ROLL. Are you serious? Using rock as a dynamic and tonal reference!!! Really, how do you do that? What is your reference for rock? How loud? How distorted it is through a PA system…NO give me real music not RAP, HIP CRAP along with CRAP and ROLL

Wendell

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing