TechDAS TD COI

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It sounds as good as it looks. It looks like liquid metal.

TD COI.jpg

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's the Terminator cartridge.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sweet! That's my word for the day! :D

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Is that an Elite prototype or pre-production arm ? I like the head shell wiring...:)
Regarding the cart...looks like another expenditure to contend with down the road..lol

Are you looking at the wire braiding close to the headshell? I saw that too...interesting....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My brother and I were listening to it and we agreed that compared to carts we own, this had Matsudaira like traits (AirTight, MY Sonic Labs).

Japanese MSRP Y780,000, in $ for a rough estimate take away two zeroes.
Output voltage is a stout .45mv :D Woohoo!

Yup it is the Elite Prototype with the Odin wiring.

Terminator Cart......Yeah! That's it!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My brother and I were listening to it and we agreed that compared to carts we own, this had Matsudaira like traits (AirTight, MY Sonic Labs).

Japanese MSRP Y780,000, in $ for a rough estimate take away two zeroes.
Output voltage is a stout .45mv :D Woohoo!

Yup it is the Elite Prototype with the Odin wiring.

Terminator Cart......Yeah! That's it!

I think Terminator would be a great name for this cartridge and you and I should get equal credit for naming it. You said it looks like liquid metal which reminded me of the Terminator. If this cartridge can 'kill' the competition, then Terminator is a good name for it. It's a very cool looking cartridge. On the side of the cartridge where it says TechDAS it should say Terminator right underneath it.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
TechDAS TDC01 Cartridge leaflet copy.jpg

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
My brother and I were listening to it and we agreed that compared to carts we own, this had Matsudaira like traits (AirTight, MY Sonic Labs)....

Agreed. From the first look I could see the probable connection.

Interesting choice of duralumin for both outer body AND cantilever.

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I noticed that too Dre. I have no idea what DLC coating is.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I noticed that too Dre. I have no idea what DLC coating is.

I looked it up. It stands for Diamond Like Carbon coating. Very hard scratch resistant coating. Used on cutting tools to prolong their life and well as race engines. Sounds like it would be a good coating for boron cantilevers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Sean! That must be what's giving the cart the Terminator look.

Yo Mark, Terminator!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Thanks Sean! That must be what's giving the cart the Terminator look.

Yo Mark, Terminator!

If this cartridge can really whoop some ass on the competition and at higher price points, I seriously think the name 'Terminator' would be cool. I love the look of the cartridge!

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
If this cartridge can really whoop some ass on the competition and at higher price points, I seriously think name 'Terminator' would be cool. I love the look of the cartridge!

Only time will tell. It'll be interesting to hear how this compares to the AirTight Supreme, Atlas, and others. And what the price will be. I assume that Bob Graham will be the US distributor/dealer? Perhaps it was developed on a Graham arm. The weight is the same as the Supreme which was developed on an SME arm and the specs are similar. The TechDas table/arm/cartridge could be quite a nice integrated package.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm of the belief that when one gets to this cart territory it comes down to cart and arm matching and ultimately personal preference. As my preferences go, The Dynavector XV-1t, Atlas and Gold Finger Statement take the top tier of carts I own and my MY Sonic Ultra Eminent BC (EX in the US), A90 and Koetsu Jade Platinum one rung below. Much further down are my ZYX Airy 3s, Graham Nightingale and Clearaudio Titanium V1. I've yet to even hear my Proteus.

Listening to it mounted on an AF1, AF2 (Elite Prototype and Phantom II respectively) run through Constellation electronics into a Vivid G1 and later Wilson Benesch Cardinals, I will say that this cartridge suggests it would be very comfortable in the company of my current top 3 carts as I heard the air of the t, the density of the Atlas and power of the Statement at least in those systems. What it will give up to the others will require more scrutiny. Tracking was never an issue just like the others. The systems heard were very quiet, dynamic, clear yet organic. I just need to have my C01 picked up by my forwarder along with the record weight. Sadly my room reconstruction is still ongoing. I'll have to listen to it at my brother's place in the meantime.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm of the belief that when one gets to this cart territory it comes down to cart and arm matching and ultimately personal preference. As my preferences go, The Dynavector XV-1t, Atlas and Gold Finger Statement take the top tier of carts I own and my MY Sonic Ultra Eminent BC (EX in the US), A90 and Koetsu Jade Platinum one rung below. Much further down are my ZYX Airy 3s, Graham Nightingale and Clearaudio Titanium V1. I've yet to even hear my Proteus.

Jack, have you heard either the AirTight Supreme or MySonicLabs Signature Gold and compared them to the two TechDas cartridges? They are all designed by the same man. I wonder how they compare to your top tier XV-1t, Atlas and Gold Finger.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing