Reference tapemachine

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
This will be a new machine from scratch.

If that's the case,then that will be very interesting to see the design. Playback only?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
JTinn-Who is on the design team of this new deck?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think stability would be a great issue , improved drivesystem , switchable amps meaning xlr connection of the heads, off course record as well, its just a extra head after all[and a amp].:D
Rock solid housing ...... i think there is a lot that can be done

jdza

May 3, 2010
This is pure speculation on my part:

I am sure we would all agree that the design of a new tape transport would be the most daunting bit on a new machine.SOTA heads can come from Flux Magnetics,audio electronics from any of a number of designers but a transport?

Amongst J Tinn's affiliations I see a name that makes me much more excited than Wave . Playback Designs may be a digital company but the Principal is Andreas Koch who learned his craft at Studer Revox and was involved in transforming the mighty A 820 into a digital recorder. If Mr. Koch was not involved in the actual design of transports I am sure he will know exactly who to call.Smaller scale production and modern computer aided milling techniques would surely obviate the need for the expensive moulds that were needed for casting the Studer chassis . The wearing out of these moulds as much as the shrinking market was responsible for the death of the A820.

Dare we hope to see the sons of A810/A812/ A820 and ,the finest of them all , A 816 ride again? Imagine modern control electronics without those horrible EPROMS,leaky batteries and worst of all the ERO and Frako capacitors!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If the Sota drivesystem , could be equipped with anything from 1/4 to 2 inch tape [ 24 track?] then the targetmarket could be extended quite a lot , so as modular as possible .

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
If that's the case,then that will be very interesting to see the design. Playback only?

No, it will have record capabilities as well.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
JTinn-Who is on the design team of this new deck?

I really do not want to discuss any of the details just yet. I will say that those involved are highly capable and way more qualified than this project requires.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I really do not want to discuss any of the details just yet. I will say that those involved are highly capable and way more qualified than this project requires.

Must be NASA:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010

So much for getting out the can opener and spilling some beans...

It will be interesting to see what you are cooking up.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
This is pure speculation on my part:

Playback Designs may be a digital company but the Principal is Andreas Koch who learned his craft at Studer Revox and was involved in transforming the mighty A 820 into a digital recorder. If Mr. Koch was not involved in the actual design of transports I am sure he will know exactly who to call.Smaller scale production and modern computer aided milling techniques would surely obviate the need for the expensive moulds that were needed for casting the Studer chassis . The wearing out of these moulds as much as the shrinking market was responsible for the death of the A820.

Andreas and I are the founders and principals of Playback Designs, but Andreas has nothing to do with this project. It is not in his wheelhouse.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
So much for getting out the can opener and spilling some beans...

It will be interesting to see what you are cooking up.

Sorry to disappoint you Mep. :)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sorry to disappoint you Mep. :)

It's no big deal. I just didn't realize you were trying to keep this under wraps for the here and now until you said so.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
It's no big deal. I just didn't realize you were trying to keep this under wraps for the here and now until you said so.

It really is not that. I did not really want to go in depth about it until there is something substantial for me to share. I do not know how much it will cost, when it will be ready, etc. and I really do not want to disappoint anyone if I speculate this early and things change.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
+1

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Plus one more :D to give a design idea , imagine a motorcyle from around 1970 (studer A 80 ) and what is currently possible ducati for example , all exotic materials magnesium titanium carbon , i bet one could make a hell of a tape machine using that , no plastic thank you :p , imagine the computer controlled drive systems , large display with touchscreen :D
" Off course weight is not an issue on some parts but merely a plus i would think on the machines base for example"

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/popular/ducati-1199-panigale-r-superleggera-photo-leak/

Last edited:

yjwu

Jun 28, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Does Lyrec PTR-1 "Frida" inspire another direction of thinking in R2R design? When you do away with heavy aluminum frame, portability become a reality! It could be an eye-catching machine which is fun to play, could be stylish too! When machine weights less, the manufacturing cost would be lower. Equipped with slim reel motors and capstan motor, editing capability like STUDER A820, what else can you complain in such a small footprint? I completely disassembled my Lyrec PTR-1 "Frida" once. It does not take too much effort to reassemble together. Putting A820 and "Frida" side by side is an interesting contrast?90kg v.s. 10kg, gigantic v.s. slim in size; go figuring cost for maintaining each. But "Frida" can still play 10.5" plus reels! (I like them both. They were witness of human endeavor worth preservation.)

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What s going on with the ref tape machine ???
Is really the only progress the audiophile manufacturers have to offer is 100 K cd players amps cables ???
Come on some can do better !! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing