Sony RX1

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I came in looking for an A7 but the retro no frills RX1 (fixed 35mm F2 lens) was just too much to resist . It is exactly what I was looking for in a quick carry, light weight, jacket pocket fitting camera.

DSC00005.jpg

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Nice shot!

I've had one for 11 months and love it. Your excuses for not having your camera with you are gone. And that Zeiss lens is beautiful.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
how does it compare to the Canon S120 which remains my favorite

It's a very different camera. A full frame sensor with a top quality prime lens - one focal length but with a wide aperture. Not cheap ~2800 USD but if you like the focal length, it takes stunning photos.

It isn't fit in your pocket small like a S120 or a Sony RX100, but it is a pro quality camera you can fit in one hand.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
WOW. WOW. WOW.

This camera makes me look good. In fact I just did one program and played with f-stop or exposure comp for expediency. This thing treads seriously in DSLR territory for as long as quick AF is not a requirement. I should've bought the EVF but I actually did fine without it.

Stevie, I don't know about the S90,100 or 120s but I brought along a G12 and it wasn't doing it for me so I went to Akihabara Duty Free to get the A7. You know the rest of the story.

I know I'm teasing. I'll do a pretty full show report when I get back to Manila.

DSC00159.jpg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Low-light shots like these really show the value of much larger sensors than the tiny ones used in pocket cameras with respect to noise.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I came in looking for an A7 but the retro no frills RX1 (fixed 35mm F2 lens) was just too much to resist . It is exactly what I was looking for in a quick carry, light weight, jacket pocket fitting camera.

View attachment 12418

I love that shot Jack; did your wife (girlfriend, future wife) take it?

* What is the retail (U$A) on the RX1? ...Picture(s), link(s)?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The better Panasonic/Lumix cameras use Leica branded lenses, although they are reportedly made to Leica specs by Panasonic and not made in Germany as 'real' Leica lenses are. Of course, YMMV!

Yes, Leica, I forgot, thx!

* I do have two Leica cameras; the real thing, but very old. ...Great for black and white pictures.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

wow...I actually know that website. I just discovered it about 48 hours ago. Know nothing about cameras...did some quick homework. Read several sites incl this one, dpreview, and a few others. Also got some friendly and knowledgable advice (as always) from our own Amirm here.

Ended up getting a Nikon D5100 and Nikkor 18-200mm. Ken Rockwell happened to like both, and many reviewers seemed to agree. (now just need to find a good photographer!!! ;) ) Got a Hoya HD polarizing filter and a Cullman portable tripod...shrinks down to 12" and extends out to just under 3.5 feet. Basically replacing an all-in-one camera and el cheapo tripod from 15-20 years...both of which broke. Should be fun.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
wow...I actually know that website. I just discovered it about 48 hours ago. Know nothing about cameras...did some quick homework. Read several sites incl this one, dpreview, and a few others. Also got some friendly and knowledgable advice (as always) from our own Amirm here.

Ended up getting a Nikon D5100 and Nikkor 18-200mm. Ken Rockwell happened to like both, and many reviewers seemed to agree. (now just need to find a good photographer!!! ;) ) Got a Hoya HD polarizing filter and a Cullman portable tripod...shrinks down to 12" and extends out to just under 3.5 feet. Basically replacing an all-in-one camera and el cheapo tripod from 15-20 years...both of which broke. Should be fun.

congrats on the nice camera and lens.

what i really enjoy about Ken Rockwell is that he speaks in a way i can understand and relates the cameras to real world use. i bought my Nikon D600 and Nikon 24-70mm f:2.8 and Nikon 50mm f:1.4 AF-S lenses from his reviews and used his links. but the best thing was the programming i downloaded from his website for my D600 that really made a positive difference in the quality of my shots. as a tech dummie i never would have been able to nail the set-ups without help.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes Mike, I like his writing style too; concise, precise in simple terms for the common mortals.

Thanks a bunch for sharing that link; in the future, for my next camera, I will certainly visit that website and look for Ken Rockwell's advice. :cool:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

what i really enjoy about Ken Rockwell is that he speaks in a way i can understand and relates the cameras to real world use. i bought my Nikon D600 and Nikon 24-70mm f:2.8 and Nikon 50mm f:1.4 AF-S lenses from his reviews and used his links. but the best thing was the programming i downloaded from his website for my D600 that really made a positive difference in the quality of my shots. as a tech dummie i never would have been able to nail the set-ups without help.

Wow...I missed that programming bit. Interesting...thanks! one of the reasons I bought the 5100 instead of the 3100 is because the 3000 series has 5 pre-settings...the 5000 series has 16...11 of which seem usable (the other 5 no idea)...and for dummies like me, being able to flick to a setting is just what I need.

I will check out Ken's programming downloads just in case...thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

btw, from the crash course in photo lingo I took in the last 48 hours of reviewing sites...you have some really nice equipment there! Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing