Move over Air Force One!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
All printed audio magazines are some what tainted with potential conflict of interests from impact of ad revenue generated vs transparency in reviewing certain product from particular company honestly - not to mention individual reviewer having preference for certain company or 'special' arrangement they would receive that might influence what they would say. This is my personal opinion with no proofs - period.

With that said, I had been reading Japanese StereoSound magazine (Korean translated version) for many years and felt they were lesser of all audio publication evils with better indepth review of audio equipment often disassembling the gear and coming to their conclusion not based on one man's opinion but from a panel of reviewers with open votes. Earlier this year, StereoSound gave out their annual Grand Prix award for analog gear introduced in 2012.

To my surprise, the panel of three reviewers gave two votes each to the Air Force One but all three people awarded three votes each to the Thales TTT-Compact Turntable w/ Simplicity arm. Makes you wonder...

If someone was in the market for the "best" turntable setup, one would owe one's ears a trial of the Thales before taking out a second mortgage on one's house for the AF1.;)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Ha ha

I can see Gary, Jack and Rockitman dumping their AF1's quick fast ;)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I demand a DBT!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The arm looks like a Siamese twin...the good thing about the af1, once you hear it in your system you will never yearn for another table...at least that is how I feel. This looks like a pretty smart kit for the money. I bet it sounds great.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
They might want to switch tonearms, Sorry Bob

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Interesting application of tangential philosophy.
Reminiscent of a Garrard Zero 100 iteration I enjoyed as a tee
nager :cool:

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
I have listened to both the AF1 and the Thales tt (although in very different systems). I'll take the AF1 anytime.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don't doubt the AF1 (and I bet the AF2) are just killer tables. However that Thales arm is very interesting, I got hear it in a unfamiliar system with horns and all Tron electronics. From my time with my Schroder LT arm...I have to admit pivot arms have a weakness....now everything likely does....but I am glad to have a least 2 arm designers pushing the geometry envelope in a difference direction than just from 9 =>10.5 =>12. The Thales seems to accomplish the linear tracing via a unique set of bearings...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

The Thales looks pretty similar to the Garrard Zero 100 from about 1970.

EDIT: sorry c1ferrari, I didn't read the entire thread before I made this post! I saw the initial photo of the Thales and immediately thought of going for the zero 100 pic.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The Thales arms are pretty cool. I'm sure the bearings and the materials used in their arms are better than what was used in the Garrard Zero 100. I really wanted one until I discovered they would not fit on my TT. It is difficult to get 9" arms to fit on my SP10 and the Thales would be damn near impossible without removing the body around the platter of the SP10 and redesigning the whole plinth. Not too long after that, I heard about the development of the Schröder LT. Now that the Schröder LT is in production I will be getting my hands on one soon.

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just got the new Stereophile, Jan '14. Looks like Mikey reviews the Thales TT.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing