Magico S3

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Beautiful! I heard the S1 recently, and though a casual audition, I was very impressed - I am standing two feet away from the speaker and I can't tell one driver from the other; just beautiful, with light music at least.

James63

Aug 7, 2013
I have two JL Audio E112 in my house that I have been very pleased with and I am playing with the idea of buying a pair of S1s. But these S3s look very nice too but most likely more than I want to spend.

Déjà vu

Apr 2, 2013
Switzerland

Very nice format.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Would it not had made more sense for Magico to go with 1 bass driver in the S3 so it has greater flexibility for rooms than the S5 while still being an improvement over the S1?
To my mind it is closer to the S5 rather than more in the middle of the S1 and S5.

Cheers
Orb

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Would it not had made more sense for Magico to go with 1 bass driver in the S3 so it has greater flexibility for rooms than the S5 while still being an improvement over the S1?
To my mind it is closer to the S5 rather than more in the middle of the S1 and S5.

Cheers
Orb

The S3 must be considerably smaller than the S5 because it has the outrigger base supports like the S1. I'd prefer a larger aluminum base plate with spikes and a nice reveal meeting the bottom of the cabinet. The cost and specs will be very interesting.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Magico is really on a roll. I am waiting for a Q2 to replace my Mini2. This new S line seems to be working very well for them. It's interesting how they are investigating both the extreme end (Qsub, Ultimate 3, Q7) and the lower priced, high quality end (S series).
Q2... how would it look like? either you have a 2 ways and you end up with a S1/Q1, or you move to 3 ways, and you end up with a Q3. Not sure how something in between would look like.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Q2... how would it look like? either you have a 2 ways and you end up with a S1/Q1, or you move to 3 ways, and you end up with a Q3. Not sure how something in between would look like.

The Q1 has one mid range driver and no bass driver. The Q3 has three 7" bass drivers. The Q2 could or would have one 8-9" or two 7" bass drivers. Sort of like the V2/V3. I'm thinking of a small, slightly more extended speaker for a smallish room for which the Q3 may be too much. There is also quite a gap in price between the $25K Q1 and the $43K Q3. Perhaps they think some S model would fit this spot.

I wonder if someday Magico will combine the curved, no visible fastener, front baffle of the Q series with the curved enclosure of the S3 or S5. Essentially an all aluminum cabinet shaped like the top module of the Mini speaker. Now that they can make the curved cabinet with intricate internal bracing all in aluminum, I would think that would be simpler (cheaper)and stiffer than the traditional rectangular box cabinet of the Q series with all of those fasteners.

James63

Aug 7, 2013
At 22,600 the cheap magico is still too rich for my blood lol. I have two subs anyway so am looking in the S1

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
That is the ad I saw in the latest issue of Absolute Sound. Mentions nothing about the S3, so people have no idea what speaker is it! Great marketing. Not!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I kind of like the ad. It's something to consider for those for whom the S5 is too much speaker, too big or too expensive and it is clearly more than the S1 which is the entry point for Magico. It falls in between and the photo shows this. I wonder if they considered just one woofer. Perhaps that will be for the S2.

The only thing I don't really like is the outrigger base. I would have preferred to see a base plate with spikes the size of that on the S5 separated from the bottom of the speaker by a 1/2" or 3/8th" reveal.

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
That is the ad I saw in the latest issue of Absolute Sound. Mentions nothing about the S3, so people have no idea what speaker is it! Great marketing. Not!

I suspect with this ad their target market is people already familiar with Magico, and who will do their research to see what speaker it is. However, they did mess up. Go to the Magico site, and you are greeted with the S3. However, in products they have the S1 and S5, but no mention of the S3.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing