Magico S3

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Already read it well written I am also listening to the Estalons about once a week never was one for empirical data glad you like your Magicos

You are not alone, unfortunately. That is how interior designers becomes loudspeaker manufactures. Glad you like them.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Really you think no one else is as good as Magico . I was thinking if I want to upgrade and I mean if I want to up grade my CLXs I would look at Estalon from Estonia . I have heard Magicos a couple of times I think the Estalons are better or the Nolas both very good long term speakers .
Garth, I would be a bit wary of judging a pair of speakers which you've heard in notoriously sub-optimal show conditions. Speakers normally sound better in a treated showroom, but even then you'll only get a rough idea how the speakers will couple to your own room.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
FWIW, and simply because I already paid for the tuitions, Estalon takes pride in stating it uses “minimalist” 2nd order XO in their design. However, just like 90% of the rest of the, so called, high-end loudspeakers on the market, they uses ceramic Accuton drivers. These drivers have notorious breakup that unless aggressively and meticulously treated in the XO are detrimental to sound quality. What many people mistake for detail and transparency is the sound of these breakup. Listen long enough and you will identify it as well. It gets old pretty fast and no tube amp or soft cables will ever mask it. The funny (well rather sad) thing is that the folks at Estalon think that using a 2nd order XO with ceramic drivers, is something to be proud of. But hey, who cares right? ;)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting how he compares them to the Q7 and not, say, the S5.

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
The S3's having a smaller form factor & 2 x 8" drivers instead of 10's on the S5's which means they will be better suited to a small to small-medium room where they will be capable of pressurizing the room properly & getting some bass reinforcement from the room. Ie: The importance of good room coupling cannot be underestimated.

Funny, my subjective opinion has often been that audiophiles err on the side of speakers that are way too large for their room, rather than the opposite problem. If your bass is messing up my hair at normal listening volume, are you making music or just making bass?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Heard the S3s for the first time today at the Hifi News and Record Review 2014 show.
Impressive but heard afterwards that they may not have been at their best because of room limitations. Were firing down a rectangular room about 12ft by 26 or more ft, Apparently it had taken them 4 hours to set up which might support that report.
At my request they also played a pair of S1s from cold and placed near the S3s. Despite those limitations I found them very impressive indeed. Tremendous soundstage, imaging and dynamics and didn't fall short on bass to the S3s by very much at all. They were undoubtedly better value for money in my opinion and a really serious contender to replace my YG Carmels.
In a larger room than mine the S3s would probably beat them but they would probably be a bit too intrusive visually for me and the S1s at about half the price over here certainly made a compelling case.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Heard the S3s for the first time today at the Hifi News and Record Review 2014 show.
Impressive but heard afterwards that they may not have been at their best because of room limitations. Were firing down a rectangular room about 12ft by 26 or more ft, Apparently it had taken them 4 hours to set up which might support that report.
At my request they also played a pair of S1s from cold and placed near the S3s. Despite those limitations I found them very impressive indeed. Tremendous soundstage, imaging and dynamics and didn't fall short on bass to the S3s by very much at all. They were undoubtedly better value for money in my opinion and a really serious contender to replace my YG Carmels.
In a larger room than mine the S3s would probably beat them but they would probably be a bit too intrusive visually for me and the S1s at about half the price over here certainly made a compelling case.

I have to say the S1 really does improve when it has had time to settle as well.
I think much of the early over time improvement one hears with the S1 relates to ambient temperature acclimatisation.
Appreciate though when you say from cold does not necessarily mean that but time with music-equipment.
Just a shame there is no S2 (would be the equivalent to the old V2 2.5 way), would seriously love to hear something like that rather than S3, but then maybe there was not enough of an improvement from S1 to such a design.
Would be great to know if they did look at designing an S2 and whether it made sense or not in terms of performance/model position between S1 and S3.

Cheers
Orb

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
If they made an S2 then people would start asking for an S4. :)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have to say the S1 really does improve when it has had time to settle as well.
I think much of the early over time improvement one hears with the S1 relates to ambient temperature acclimatisation.
Appreciate though when you say from cold does not necessarily mean that but time with music-equipment.
Just a shame there is no S2 (would be the equivalent to the old V2 2.5 way), would seriously love to hear something like that rather than S3, but then maybe there was not enough of an improvement from S1 to such a design.
Would be great to know if they did look at designing an S2 and whether it made sense or not in terms of performance/model position between S1 and S3.

Cheers
Orb

Thanks Orb.
I can readily believe what you say about the S1.
It seems that its bigger brothers and the Q1 have rather overshadowed the S1 which is a pity because it is clearly such a good speaker sound and loungewise.
It is a really outstanding contemporary example of the virtues of a simple two way design well executed and as you say a 2.5 S2 might not have bettered it to any real extent.
Cheers

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
If they made an S2 then people would start asking for an S4. :)

As Jap says no number 4s.
But I get what your saying :)
That said they would not need an S4 equivalent; the previous V3 model is in a basic way comparable to the S3.
So the model currently missing is a new one comparable to the V2 speaker.
And the new materials/design would be a big improvement over the older V2, so would be great to know why the S2 does not exist (possibly performance/model range position/price when compared to S3 and S1 *shrug*).

Anyone ever chatted to Alon about this?
Thanks
Orb

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Can anyone compare the S1 to the Joseph Audio Perspective? Haven't heard Magico but am very curios about them, especially how they differ from my current speakers.

Thanks
Jeff

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks Orb.
I can readily believe what you say about the S1.
It seems that its bigger brothers and the Q1 have rather overshadowed the S1 which is a pity because it is clearly such a good speaker sound and loungewise.
It is a really outstanding contemporary example of the virtues of a simple two way design well executed and as you say a 2.5 S2 might not have bettered it to any real extent.
Cheers

Yeah I really enjoy mine, and for the price (ok outside audiophile circles many probably complain about its price as being high) I think it is pretty amazing; one of the best for clarity and improving sibilance/"splash" cymbal/etc type sounds (more concise,clear,focused and less aggravating IMO) that many normal-average recordings can suffer with and be exacerbated by electronics/speakers.

Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing