Otari MX-5050 BII

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I like and recommend Otari MX series machines as one of the high value options in getting into playing two track 15 ips tapes.

Judging from the photos, the machine didn't suffer major abuse (no significant razor marks on head cover - though I see other marks) and $300 is good price IMO considering the money won't buy two new pinch rollers from Athans for Studer A820...

Although at $300 purchase price you can afford to remove the headblock and send it to the master, John French for relap, it would be ideal if the seller can show you close up of the heads or better yet confirm first hand the machine would sweep 20 - 20Khz at 15 ips with the MRL cal tape.

All in all, go for it especially if it's a local pick up!

Ki

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It would also be a good idea to see a short video of how it packs, stops and plays tape below Ki's recommendation.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I had put in an offer (full price) and waited all day for a reply. I did this because I remembered Ki mentioning that he liked Otari and for the price I could easily get it properly serviced. Alas the unit was sold. I have a feeling it went for higher than the asking price. I'm a little disappointed, but now I know that if an MX comes up again that I should seriously consider it. This is the third time now a R2R has slipped under my fingers, so maybe it's the last and I'll get lucky next time!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
John:

One of the positive things about the Otari MX series machine is - there are thousands of them sold over the years. If you can be patient, you will find a clean one locally with little work needed to get it back to Otari factory spec.

There are several known issues such as burnt out VU meter lamps that can be replaced easily and sticky pinch roller pivot that can be remedied with a shot of WD40. The only things you can't do would be to relapping of the heads and audio calibration as long as its basic transport functions are correct. But if the machine is not from a radio station and ideally from a home studio with little use, you won't need to relap the heads or do the audio cal.

Ki

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have a Otari MX 4C version and side by side, it had more clarity than my Technics 1520s for 7.5ips play back. I paid $700 for it 8 years ago if that helps.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It all helps Peter. This would be totally uncharted waters for me so I'll take any info I can gather!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My Otari came from Ki and it has worked perfectly for the last couple of years we have had it. :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Remember, though, that software will likely cost much more than the machine, even upgraded. And if The Tape Project is really scaling back, as has been rumored, there's very little of musical interest left (ducking the stones and missiles, but it's what I think)...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Remember, though, that software will likely cost much more than the machine, even upgraded. And if The Tape Project is really scaling back, as has been rumored, there's very little of musical interest left (ducking the stones and missiles, but it's what I think)...

There are lots of 2 track 15ips tapes out there. Also, the 5050 has a 4 track head and can play all of the 4 track tapes that were ever made which number in the gazillions. Noise and all, 4 track tapes can still sound fantastic.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
There are lots of 2 track 15ips tapes out there. Also, the 5050 has a 4 track head and can play all of the 4 track tapes that were ever made which number in the gazillions. Noise and all, 4 track tapes can still sound fantastic.
Lots of 15ips 2-tracks available for purchase? Can you point me to some sources for these? As far as 7.5 ips 1/4-tracks, my opinion of their sonics is not great after about 40 years of listening on consumer decks like Tandberg, Revox and Technics. I need to visit RogerD to hear some of his on his better machines, but as yet I'm not convinced.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Lots of 15ips 2-tracks available for purchase? Can you point me to some sources for these? As far as 7.5 ips 1/4-tracks, my opinion of their sonics is not great after about 40 years of listening on consumer decks like Tandberg, Revox and Technics. I need to visit RogerD to hear some of his on his better machines, but as yet I'm not convinced.

Convinced of what? I'm not telling you or anyone else that 7 1/2 ips tapes are world beaters in sound quality. All I'm saying is that the tapes made from a really good sounding master will still sound really good. Don't be a Debbie Downer.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

In my case, I'm more interested in doing direct needledrops as opposed to buying $200 and $300 pre-recorded tapes. That's not to say I wouldn't do so on occasion for something really special, but that's not my primary reason. One can fault me for that and say why get into R2R to begin with if you're not going to buy what offers you the best possible quality, but I don't see it that way. You see, to me it's about the music first and that doesn't necessarily (to me) have to mean the best possible quality in any or all of the formats I choose to participate in. Vinyl is my format of choice in acquiring the best quality I can get, not tape.

Despite my love for having extended listening sessions, I would also like the ability of putting on a tape that I recorded with high-quality vinyl as best as I can, and let it play. I think it would be really nice to make a compilation or have 2 LP's recorded back to back that I can just listen to without changing sides. And lastly, even if I had the resources to buy TTP tapes as a subscriber, I would still make my own. It's about enjoying my hobby and I like it just fine the way I've approached it!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I would not say lots, but surely more than I can afford ...We should remember that there are a few other sources than the Tape Project. Although they are not releasing famous recordings and artists, they record very nice music, beautifully played and expertly recorded.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In my case, I'm more interested in doing direct needledrops as opposed to buying $200 and $300 pre-recorded tapes. That's not to say I wouldn't do so on occasion for something really special, but that's not my primary reason. One can fault me for that and say why get into R2R to begin with if you're not going to buy what offers you the best possible quality, but I don't see it that way. You see, to me it's about the music first and that doesn't necessarily (to me) have to mean the best possible quality in any or all of the formats I choose to participate in. Vinyl is my format of choice in acquiring the best quality I can get, not tape.

Despite my love for having extended listening sessions, I would also like the ability of putting on a tape that I recorded with high-quality vinyl as best as I can, and let it play. I think it would be really nice to make a compilation or have 2 LP's recorded back to back that I can just listen to without changing sides. And lastly, even if I had the resources to buy TTP tapes as a subscriber, I would still make my own. It's about enjoying my hobby and I like it just fine the way I've approached it!

John,

Although I love my tapes and my A80's, just for needledrops I would rather invest in a DSD recorder such as the Korg MR2000s. I have been playing a few, recorded from a direct cut LP, and they sound really good - far better than any other version of the same recording in any other format.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John,

Although I love my tapes and my A80's, just for needledrops I would rather invest in a DSD recorder such as the Korg MR2000s. I have been playing a few, recorded from a direct cut LP, and they sound really good - far better than any other version of the same recording in any other format.

I've heard excellent things about that Korg unit, but I respectfully have no interest in pursuing such an avenue. To me digital shall remain on my PC which is not used for high-quality playback, but instead more for background.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
The currently available reference machine imo is the UHA Phase 11 deck. One package, SOTA sound. The other and more expensive route...a fully restored A80 RC with heads wired out to a stand alone pre.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The currently available reference machine imo is the UHA Phase 11 deck. One package, SOTA sound. The other and more expensive route...a fully restored A80 RC with heads wired out to a stand alone pre.

Christian - While I appreciate your input, that's not the market I can play in. That's just my reality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing