Musings and advice on in-room bass

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net
Mr. j_j,
I've read your comments on this forum concerning omnimic limitations in the frequency domain above 100hz. Could that problem be overcome by taking a significant number of measurements at different locations within the listening area and combining them in a sensible way?

Um, that's BELOW 100Hz, but really anywhere below what people usually call the "Schroeder frequency", but most important below 100Hz.

And, yes, by sampling the space you can indeed do the same. It's required by the physics, of course. If you have, say, 4 separate Omni measurements in a tetrahedron as in "DTS Multichannel Audio Playback System: Characterization and Correction", Authors: Fejzo, Zoran; Johnston, James D.
AES Convention:130 (May 2011) Paper Number:8379 you can combine them appropriately as well.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Zydeco,
I feel your pain. I have been down this road for years and although there is great merit to the advice others are suggesting, my bias is that in order to come up with with an optimal solution of getting great bass in a smaller room with dual subs, you really should consider DSP. I can appreciate that you may not want to use DSP for you main speakers, but fortunately there are options that will allow you to do this with good results. One such device is below. Robert Greene at TAS gave this very high marks.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

No matter what you do, you should have some objective measure of your results to use along with your listening of course. A simple pink noise signal combined with a $14 analyzer program such as "Analyze", available on the IPhone, is a very effective poor man's tool for guiding you to an optimal solution. Good luck. (My own dual subwoofer DSP system, albeit in a much larger, is described here:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?12490-Spectral-DMA-400s-arrive-in-New-Jersey)
Marty

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing