TechDAS Air Force 2

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The April issue of Hi-Fi News and RR has a report of the Ken Kessler visit to the TechDas factory with plenty of details and some inside pictures of the Air Force one and Two and the D7 Supreme.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
The April issue of Hi-Fi News and RR has a report of the Ken Kessler visit to the TechDas factory with plenty of details and some inside pictures of the Air Force one and Two and the D7 Supreme.

Thanks for mentioning TD were in the latest HFN, that was a great article by Ken going into detail about the differences between the two TTs. Also Nishikawa-san's pose with the Stella team looks exactly like the one taken with Jack :)

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Finally closed two orders for TD Air Force 2s. I'm looking forward to comparing both tables side by side. I also ordered two sample flagship TD Ti Cartridges. These should be very interesting as the lower model TD COI is the cart that gets all the playing time in my system these days. This collaboration between friends for almost 4 decades, Matsudaira-san of MY Sonic Lab and Airtight (Motor) and Nishikawa-san (body) is indeed something special.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Finally closed two orders for TD Air Force 2s. I'm looking forward to comparing both tables side by side. I also ordered two sample flagship TD Ti Cartridges. These should be very interesting as the lower model TD COI is the cart that gets all the playing time in my system these days. This collaboration between friends for almost 4 decades, Matsudaira-san of MY Sonic Lab and Airtight (Motor) and Nishikawa-san (body) is indeed something special.

Which platter will you be using on the AF2 for the comparison?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Jack, any Genesis owners with the TechDas in Manila? I should be there soon setting up a pair of Dragons.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not yet Gary but I hope it happens soon :)

You better not forget to let me know when you are here!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

AF2 will have the standard aluminum platter. I have the Aluminum and Stainless Steel upper platters for the AF1. I won't be able to use the same exact model Phantoms but I will be able to use the same cartridges and Phonostage.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I don't believe the AF2 has optional platter materials. It looks like duralumin only according to the website.

Edit: correction aluminum A5056.. Not A7075 Duralumin like that in the AF1.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:cool:

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Have finally seen the AF2 in person, but alas, no way to compare AF1 vs AF2. Any member here fortunately enough to able to compare the two?

Thanks!

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Have finally seen the AF2 in person, but alas, no way to compare AF1 vs AF2. Any member here fortunately enough to able to compare the two?

Thanks!

I was at their factory last month and spent a couple of hours listening and comparing the two tables and have a good handle on the differences between the two. I already have the AF1 and have the AF2 on order.

Please PM me with your questions!

david

A few pictures of their listening room and AF2 production run.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian

will the AF0 be their new top of the line turn table

From what I hear yes. Heavier platter and bigger power supplies and it's own stand. I won't be in the market. I have brought vinyl playback to the limit...at least to my satisfaction....especially with my use of the TS-140 Active isolation table. See the interview w/ Nishikawa-san below:

AS: What’s next for TechDAS? Bigger or smaller?

HN: We already make two turntables and a cartridge. We don’t make an arm; not because it is difficult, but because I am already a distributor in Japan for Graham tonearms, and I honour and respect that relationship.

In time though, I will produce Air Force Zero. That will be my last design, because it will be the best turntable I know how to make. I can’t say much on this now, but it will have a far larger platter for better turning moments, as well as a bigger power supply, and because of the size, its own stand.

AS: Mr Nishikawa – thank you!
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/meet-your-maker-hideaki-niskikawa-of-techdas/?page=2

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Didn't realize I had to fold the rear seats of a GL to fit the boxes

IMG_1677_zpsccedc37f.jpg

AF2 installed beside AFO

IMG_1680_zpsad06b685.jpg

Now to decide which arms, Ennie, Minnie, Miney, Larry, Moe or Curly (Elite still in its box)

IMG_1686_zps2eaefb0a.jpg

IMG_1683_zps9cb4d71c.jpg

The keen eyed will notice that this AF2 has an AFO platter. It was an experiment to see if there could be a modular approach going upwards. As it turned out the final price ended up far too close to the AFO for the exercise to be practical much less successful in the marketplace. The extra weight of the platter meant using the AFO Control/Air/Condenser Box, Bearings, Calibration of the suspension……lots of expensive labor. Nishikawa-san says this will be the first and last of its kind.

If you also noticed, the things on the platter are the optional platter dustcover/ alignment template. They don't cost much and save a lot of wrestling with the huge acrylic dustcovers.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Hi Jack, thanks for posting - love it. Is that a pic at your brothers place or yours, just seeing the Durand's and thought your brother only had these installed. Nice collection of arms - decisions - decisions

I look forward to learning more about Nishikawa-san design.

Interesting idea but personally I would still prefer my cover when not in use and don't find it too cumbersome, what I like is it keeps the dust off everything.

Vaughan-20140116-01336.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Jack - make the dust cover locally because it would cost way too much to have one shipped. If you would like, I will do a design for you. This is the one I designed for myself for my Roksan turntable - the AF1 and AF2 will need larger, but the design should be essentially the same. Cut on a CNC machine, using the good stuff (HMWA), it ended up costing me nearly $800 for one. But making a run of them for all your customers wouldn't cost much more than for just the first one as most of the cost went to the CNC machine programming and set-up.

TT Cover.jpg

The open corners also means that it won't boom if you play with the cover on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing