TechDAS Air Force 2

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes, the motor is decoupled. I was pleasantly surprised about the speed stability of this belt drive TT compared with the VPI DD. He really needs to review the AF1 again to give a more meaningful comparison with the AF2. He had an early model that did not use the full air chamber feet.

Thanks Christian. So it looks like the four suspension towers are isolating the plinth/arm board and platter from the motor vibrations. My SME 30/12 takes this same approach. The concern has been that the platter and motor being decoupled present a non fixed distance and that speed accuracy would suffer, but both the SME and the AF2 have extremely accurate and stable speed, so this decoupling solves more issues than it raises.

The AF2 seems to be a superb table. I would love to hear one at some point. I also wonder what the AF3 sounds like, especially if placed on an air or active isolation platform.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks Christian. So it looks like the four suspension towers are isolating the plinth/arm board and platter from the motor vibrations. My SME 30/12 takes this same approach. The concern has been that the platter and motor being decoupled present a non fixed distance and that speed accuracy would suffer, but both the SME and the AF2 have extremely accurate and stable speed, so this decoupling solves more issues than it raises.

The AF2 seems to be a superb table. I would love to hear one at some point. I also wonder what the AF3 sounds like, especially if placed on an air or active isolation platform.

Here are pics of the upper and lower plinth...you can see the recess for the decoupled motor. Frank750 loves his. He sold his SME after he realized he would always be playing the AF2.

I bet the AF3 rocks too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 613
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 615

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

It's actually a fixed distance Peter. The set comes with a jig that looks like a dog whistle. You have to use the jig to get the exact distance. Then there's a belt tensioner since the belt is a no stretch fiber one. Actually If you are tight you won't get up to speed. Too loose and the belt flutters. Setting tension (which is saved after calibration) is easy peasy.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
It's actually a fixed distance Peter. The set comes with a jig that looks like a dog whistle. You have to use the jig to get the exact distance. Then there's a belt tensioner since the belt is a no stretch fiber one. Actually If you are tight you won't get up to speed. Too loose and the belt flutters. Setting tension (which is saved after calibration) is easy peasy.

I can testify to that Jack. I'm an idiot with this stuff but I set up the AF2 myself with zero problems and it has been a joy to use.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Thanks Jack. I understand what you are describing. The criticism that I have always heard about motors being separate from plinths, and especially with suspended tables, is that the platter and motor move independently, and that movement creates the potential for a change in their fixed distance. TechDas has obviously solved this potential problem. And the solution seems quite elegant.

A similar criticism is levied at tables which have a separate arm pod. They are isolated from each other, but the potential is always there for something to move.

I also like the idea of a non stretch belt. This seems like a great table and I am glad that Stereophile is bringing some additional attention to it with this review.

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
Is there a link to the review? I can't seem to find it.

Attached are a couple of pics with my favourite tonearm to date on the AF2... the Acoustical Systems Axiom.

DF0_9988.jpg DF0_9989.jpg DF0_9990.jpg

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Yes, the motor is decoupled. I was pleasantly surprised about the speed stability of this belt drive TT compared with the VPI DD. He really needs to review the AF1 again to give a more meaningful comparison with the AF2. He had an early model that did not use the full air chamber feet.

Michael will indeed be revisiting the Air Force One and the Phantom Elite tonearm in the near future. The first one he had did not incorporate all the current design details, and he certainly did not experience the 'table at it's sublime best. The AF-2 is every bit as good as Michael says it is, and and AF-1 is even better, albeit at a much higher price.

We are also awaiting the arrival of the first production units of the upcoming Air Force Three, and will make public announcements at that time.

- Bob Graham
Graham Engineering Inc.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Michael will indeed be revisiting the Air Force One and the Phantom Elite tonearm in the near future. The first one he had did not incorporate all the current design details, and he certainly did not experience the 'table at it's sublime best. The AF-2 is every bit as good as Michael says it is, and and AF-1 is even better, albeit at a much higher price.

We are also awaiting the arrival of the first production units of the upcoming Air Force Three, and will make public announcements at that time.

- Bob Graham
Graham Engineering Inc.

George delivered my second Elite last week Bob. Looking forward to installing it on the rear mount later today.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
With the person who took the picture....my wife! LOL!

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Hi Jack,

Busy busy busy I'm sure. Techdas 3 with vacuum holddown at below 30k? Interesting!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have one in stock my friend. Still in its box. Have an Elite new in box too or a B-44 Phantom 2 second hand for sale. Call me ;)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure how useful it is to you all but here are my pictures and one track impression of Air Force Three at AXPONA: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...arten-speakers-air-force-three-turntable.398/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing