J37 Waves Plugin Video

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Unveil J37 Tape Saturation Plugin

October 24th, 2013 Posted in News, newsletter

Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin: a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the greatest masterpieces in modern music. With a variety of user-adjustable controls including Tape Speed, Bias, Noise, Saturation, Wow and Flutter, the Waves: Abbey Road J37 faithfully recreates the inimitable sonic signature of the original machine. In addition to the J37 itself, three exclusive oxide tape formulas have been modeled. Specially developed by EMI during the 60s and 70s, each formula has its own unique frequency response and harmonic distortion behavior.

The Waves: Abbey Road J37 tape emulation plugin delivers a level of hardware realism never before experienced ‘in the box’, bringing stunning analogue warmth to your digital recordings.

While the J37 was used on many famous recordings, it is perhaps best known for its innovative use on The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. Producer George Martin utilized the machine not only for recording but also as a creative production tool, bouncing tracks between two J37s and creating layer upon layer of sound to achieve ground-breaking sonic textures.

“The winning combination of Abbey Road Studios’ Studer J37 Four-Track machine and EMI Tape has been used to create some of the most important recordings of all time,” says Mirek Stiles, Head of Audio Products, Abbey Road Studios. “As well as modeling the J37, with the amazing warmth of 52 valves, Waves has teamed it with the last remaining blank 60s and 70s tape stock from the EMI archives. EMI Tape has stood the test of time; it never needs baking and sounds wonderful. Abbey Road Studios’ technical staff from the J37?s heyday were consulted on the line-up procedures that they used over 50 years ago, with the end results sounding simply stunning. Waves has given us yet another unique example of Abbey Road Studios’ heritage, available for the first time as a software plugin.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrU2nC83vNQ&feature=player_embedded#t=2

Introduced at the 135 AES Convention.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios Unveil J37 Tape Saturation Plugin

October 24th, 2013 Posted in News, newsletter

Waves Audio and Abbey Road Studios present the J37 tape saturation plugin: a precision model of the very machine used to record many of the greatest masterpieces in modern music. With a variety of user-adjustable controls including Tape Speed, Bias, Noise, Saturation, Wow and Flutter, the Waves: Abbey Road J37 faithfully recreates the inimitable sonic signature of the original machine. In addition to the J37 itself, three exclusive oxide tape formulas have been modeled. Specially developed by EMI during the 60s and 70s, each formula has its own unique frequency response and harmonic distortion behavior.

The Waves: Abbey Road J37 tape emulation plugin delivers a level of hardware realism never before experienced ‘in the box’, bringing stunning analogue warmth to your digital recordings.

While the J37 was used on many famous recordings, it is perhaps best known for its innovative use on The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. Producer George Martin utilized the machine not only for recording but also as a creative production tool, bouncing tracks between two J37s and creating layer upon layer of sound to achieve ground-breaking sonic textures.

“The winning combination of Abbey Road Studios’ Studer J37 Four-Track machine and EMI Tape has been used to create some of the most important recordings of all time,” says Mirek Stiles, Head of Audio Products, Abbey Road Studios. “As well as modeling the J37, with the amazing warmth of 52 valves, Waves has teamed it with the last remaining blank 60s and 70s tape stock from the EMI archives. EMI Tape has stood the test of time; it never needs baking and sounds wonderful. Abbey Road Studios’ technical staff from the J37?s heyday were consulted on the line-up procedures that they used over 50 years ago, with the end results sounding simply stunning. Waves has given us yet another unique example of Abbey Road Studios’ heritage, available for the first time as a software plugin.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrU2nC83vNQ&feature=player_embedded#t=2

Introduced at the 135 AES Convention.

Sad.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Yes, Andre I think it is sad,most know that there is nothing like the real thing and it is true here too. The digital march continues on,not a bad thing, but for the few of us that enjoy analog tape,get it while you can.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, Andre I think it is sad,most know that there is nothing like the real thing and it is true here too. The digital march continues on,not a bad thing, but for the few of us that enjoy analog tape,get it while you can.

Digital recording can be excellent. But if you are seeking "analog warmth" why not just RECORD in analog. These types of plug ins are pathetic.

There are the pretenders and those who know what they are doing.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is a story you would rather read:

Studer Announces They are Putting the C37 Tape Recorder Back into Production

Due to the world-wide demand of people who want to own a high-performance professional tape deck to play back professionally made reel to reel tapes, Studer has decided to put the C37 back into production. The C37 has a reputation as the world's best valve reel to reel tape recorder whose sound has never been matched. Studer has contacted all of the previous engineers and technicians who were involved with designing and manufacturing the C37. Although some of the original personnel have passed on, there are still many who though while enjoying retirement are excited about the prospect of bringing the C37 back to market.

Studer still has a large quantity of NOS British valves and the first 1000 C37s sold will be made with all NOS British valves. As long as there is a demand, Studer will keep the C37 in production for both recording professionals and audiophiles who desire to own the best 2 track valve recorder ever made.

OK, the fantasy is now over.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Due to the world-wide demand of people who want to own a high-performance professional tape deck to play back professionally made reel to reel tapes, Studer has decided to put the C37 back into production. The C37 has a reputation as the world's best valve reel to reel tape recorder whose sound has never been matched. Studer has contacted all of the previous engineers and technicians who were involved with designing and manufacturing the C37. Although some of the original personnel have passed on, there are still many who though while enjoying retirement are excited about the prospect of bringing the C37 back to market.

Studer still has a large quantity of NOS British valves and the first 1000 C37s sold will be made with all NOS British valves. As long as there is a demand, Studer will keep the C37 in production for both recording professionals and audiophiles who desire to own the best 2 track valve recorder ever made.

Sounds like headlines from The Onion!

There's already plugins now that emulate the newer Studers and Ampex machines. That's right..."emulate". I tried a couple and it's not even close!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Sounds like headlines from The Onion!

There's already plugins now that emulate the newer Studers and Ampex machines. That's right..."emulate". I tried a couple and it's not even close!

I knew it was downhill when in the 90s when I used to hang out in studios and moronic engineers would use live drums to trigger samples to print to tape instead of actually learning how to mike drums. Then came Marshall stack plug in for guitarists, then auto tune...

These analog emulators have been around for years. Computers have basically contributed to the significant decline in the quality of recorded music.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Abbey Road sure knows how to milk their Beatles connection.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Abbey Road sure knows how to milk their Beatles connection.

Yeah, but too bad they are not giving us their best in terms of releasing the Beatles catalog again. In the meantime, the BC-13 LP collection is about as good as it gets for normal humans.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Mark , I don't think it would help anyway,the last 5 albums I have purchased suck. Seems like everybody has gotten lazy with digital. You hear about a tape renaissance but I think with pro tools everybody is a engineer now. I really enjoy music recorded in the late 50's and 60's,no comparison with todays techniques, there are exceptions though.

Well I just read this hot off the Ampex list...maybe there is hope after all.

I did the panel for "Help! I Have A Tape Recorder" along with John French
>and Dan Zellman. In my opening remarks, I did a tribute to Mike Spitz and
>ATR Services. The company and the tape will continue as usual, but we'll
>miss Mike's knowledge on the ATR series. We had over 150 people at the
>Workshop and a wide age range, both young and old and male/female. Many
>topics were covered about analog reel to reel, with a final Q&A for the last
>half hour. Was very successful and I was impressed with the mob that
>surrounded us after it was over. Many new people are interested and want to
>use the format for their recordings - whether it's multitracking or mixing.
>
>Let's see what happens.
>
>Bob Shuster
>www.shustersound.com

http://www.aes.org/events/135/workshops/?ID=3710

Last edited:

Gary D

Jun 26, 2011
I found this remark made by a gentleman in regards to the new Waves J37 plugin and it sums up the whole debate. It is exactly my feeling on the whole issue about analog vs digital.

"Ladies and gentlemen - please allow me to add a short remark: the secret of "analogue sound" is not a question of emulation, analysis or anything else one may proof or copy in a scientific way. Music that resolves from digits will always sound like a number of digits. Analogue sound is fascinating different compared to digital sound due to simple fact that it comes from this world. Maybe you can't proof it - but you feel it. This specific "energy" a simple magnetic tape carries can not be carried inside the digital world, evidently there is something lost during the process that cuts music into numbers." John Encore

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing