Sony's new full-frame cameras with compatibility of Canon, Nikon, etc. lenses!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think you'll be happy with it. I hesitate to recommend any one particular model. Cameras are almost as much of an individual preference as loudspeakers (and may have even more zealous fanbois).

Thank you. If we manage to find our lost camera in Lost and Found, great. If not, i think we will go with the RX100 (series 1).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you. If we manage to find our lost camera in Lost and Found, great. If not, i think we will go with the RX100 (series 1).

well...3 weeks and no luck on lost and found...got a great deal with rebate on RX100 (Mk 1) and got it. charging the battery now. should be fun...seems like a very good camera and for 299, seems like something my wife is already looking forward to dropping in her purse to take pictures. got the sony leather case as well...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Having both an RX1 and an RX100, I'll offer my two cents. The RX1 is sublime. It won't fit in your pocket and has only so so autofocus, but there's really nothing like it for the size. The lens is fantastic. The add on electronic viewfinder is also world class. It's an amazing piece of kit. But it's not what you want.

We have the third gen RX100 with the built-in view finder and the "selfie" flip around LCD panel. My eight-year old has gotten pretty good with it. It is a great camera, really up to whether you like the controls or not.

BTW, if you don't care about the viewfinder or the selfie LCD, Sony still sells the first and second gen RX100 for a lot less dough.

I would consider the Panny Lx100 and the Ricoh GR as well if you're looking for something great that will fit in your pocket. Deciding factors for me would be which controls work best for you and quality/focal length range of the lens.

Hi...just wanted to come back to you and say thank you. We have taken a handful of shots after charging the battery...just to get the hang of the thing. Fantastic, and we are very happy. The shots that we anticipate taking with it are great...far closer to our Nikon D5100/Nikon DX18-200mm than we were expecting.

And the RX100 (which we got) costs less than half the price of the RX100Mk3. Although the long end of the RX100Mk3 is better, most of what we take with the smaller one is photos at dinner, parties, family and a few outdoor travel shots while one of us is using the bigger camera/lens anyway. Thanks again.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Hi...just wanted to come back to you and say thank you. We have taken a handful of shots after charging the battery...just to get the hang of the thing. Fantastic, and we are very happy. The shots that we anticipate taking with it are great...far closer to our Nikon D5100/Nikon DX18-200mm than we were expecting.

And the RX100 (which we got) costs less than half the price of the RX100Mk3. Although the long end of the RX100Mk3 is better, most of what we take with the smaller one is photos at dinner, parties, family and a few outdoor travel shots while one of us is using the bigger camera/lens anyway. Thanks again.

Excellent. Glad you got to the right place. Enjoy it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I just bought a Sony A7 and a Carl Zeis 55 mm F 1,8 lens , a top lens , its especially made for the E mount on the camera , so no adapters needed
The A 7 s were on a discount lately because of the mark 2 being on the market .
Getting the camera on tuesday , very happy looking forward taking some nice shots and doing video , apperently these cameras /lenses are especially great for portret and shooting /filming in low light conditions:D

Full frame , 24 Mega pixels and a zeiss F 1,8 lens, my first full frame camera and its very light/ portable

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Sure , the ones posted on you tube are awesome , supposedly one of the sharpest lenses around , i ll try to videocapture some wildlife/nature as well but the zoom on that lens aint that much off course
Great for photographing audio gear as well , extremely sharp object focus and the famous zeiss blurred background, 3 D look

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Just trying , what is quite obvious is the amount of light entering the camera , its probably a combo of the light sensitive lens/ full frame chip , but it seems like there is a " flashlight " in the camara lighting things up , when you photograph with hardly any light around

DSC00082 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC00082 222 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I was a skeptic too and I also have a lot invested in Canon glass....... however, I bought the a6000 (APS-C) and the Metabones adapter. Trying out my Canon, Tamron and Sigmas lenses, autofocus was slow and it looked really strange with the little body on huge lenses. Handling was very strange.

What totally sold me was these two pictures - the center crop of a much larger picture I took.

The first is with the Canon 5D Mk II with Canon 24-105mm f/4 L lens

Canon.jpg

This is with the Sony a6000 with Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8

Zeiss.jpg

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
If I could only swing an Zeiss Otus lens!!

If anyone out there has sucessfully used adapters with full function transfer I'd like to know about it. Most adapters don't transfer all functions and sometimes I need to just mash the shutter and hope magic happens so stupid mode can be useful.

I just bought a Sony A7 and a Carl Zeis 55 mm F 1,8 lens , a top lens , its especially made for the E mount on the camera , so no adapters needed
The A 7 s were on a discount lately because of the mark 2 being on the market .
Getting the camera on tuesday , very happy looking forward taking some nice shots and doing video , apperently these cameras /lenses are especially great for portret and shooting /filming in low light conditions:D

Full frame , 24 Mega pixels and a zeiss F 1,8 lens, my first full frame camera and its very light/ portable

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Metabones is supposed to be full function. I read all the reviews on-line but I guess it just doesn't perform to my expectations. The autofocus is very slow on every mode of the Sony.

It also looks really, really odd with the huge lens on the tiny body.

Canon on Sony.jpg

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes the second pic has definetively better focus and more natural colours , the zeiss otus is great yes , however they did a test and mine wasnt far behind both being 55 mm , the otus is F 1,4 , mine was 1000 euros and the otus is around 4 K iirc

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The Metabones is supposed to be full function. I read all the reviews on-line but I guess it just doesn't perform to my expectations. The autofocus is very slow on every mode of the Sony.
This is a common complaint with all of Sony lenses when used with Canon. Kai hits on this in his latest video:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Id agree with him more or less , still he is exagerating things .
Its fun to experiment with shutter time/light and F stops which i couldnt on the entry dlsr form nikon i had before , i like the camera a lot everything is manually adjustable , just like a pro camera :D:p

DSC00110 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC00109 by andromeda61, on Flickr

DSC00108 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Actually i bought it in the first place to shoot the speakers and update the site, i bought some studiolights and start experimenting , they are so heavy i avoid transportation if i can

xpe by andromeda61, on Flickr

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Product photography is a tough thing. Managing reflections, getting an object to look interesting, etc. all takes special skill which I currently do not have :). So good luck there.

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
I was a skeptic too and I also have a lot invested in Canon glass....... however, I bought the a6000 (APS-C) and the Metabones adapter. Trying out my Canon, Tamron and Sigmas lenses, autofocus was slow and it looked really strange with the little body on huge lenses. Handling was very strange.

]

The ?6000 does not focus quickly with Canon lenses, the newer ?7 II and ?7R II are supposed to work much better with adapters. The new ?6300 may also work well with af adapters. I have a couple of ?43 cameras that focus very fast with my Canon lenses, these little mirrorless cameras are great little cameras, I plan to get a Sony ?7R II when the prices drop a little, Sony bodies lose value quickly. The ?6000 I bought sold for $200 less within a couple months of me buying it.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This camera looks like a very good alternative to the Nex series (which is very good). But I think it's utterly non-sense to claim Leica is simply out of the race against things that simply aren't even in their league.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The ?6000 does not focus quickly with Canon lenses, the newer ?7 II and ?7R II are supposed to work much better with adapters. The new ?6300 may also work well with af adapters. I have a couple of ?43 cameras that focus very fast with my Canon lenses, these little mirrorless cameras are great little cameras, I plan to get a Sony ?7R II when the prices drop a little, Sony bodies lose value quickly. The ?6000 I bought sold for $200 less within a couple months of me buying it.

Thanks, WDB. I'll also wait a little for the a7R II prices to drop a little. At the moment, I'm really enjoying my a6000/Zeiss combo.

This was one of the first few pictures I took with the new camera - Sunrise New Year's Day 2016.

Sunrise 2016 Crop.jpg

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
This thread from the Fred Miranda forum goes into the problems with AF adapters on Sony E-mount cameras.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1342176/1#lastmessage

With my Panasonic GX7 and G7 I get fast autofocus with Canon lenses that I have but my Tamron and Tokina lenses don't work well.
The more recently released Sony bodies are supposed to be much improved, if they work as well as my Panasonics do I will be very happy. I also have the Techart AF adapter for Contax G lenses, it has a motor built into the adapter to drive the lens AF, Techart is showing a new adapter they are working on that can autofocus manual lenses like the Leica M mount by using a motorised heilcoid adapter. http://techartpro.com/product/techart-pro-leica-m-sony-e-autofocus-adapter/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing