Life of playback head after being lapped?

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I haven't had much luck getting in contact with JRF (tried jrf [at] jrfmagnetics). Any rough ideas how many hours of use can be had from a lapped Studer playback head? Thanks

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I haven't had much luck getting in contact with JRF (tried jrf [at] jrfmagnetics). Any rough ideas how many hours of use can be had from a lapped Studer playback head? Thanks

It depends on the percentage of wear before relap

I'd say a few thousand hours on average

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010

I presume it depends on the percentage of head life available following the relap and how well the tape path is aligned.
If you need a recommendation in addition to JRF, I have been using John Austin at Sprague Magnetics: http://www.sprague-magnetics.com/pro_audio_film.htm

He is an expert.
:cool:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think 50 pct is the make or break point. John is very busy , the last time I talked to him he told me he had more work than he could remember. So give him time to answer.

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Thanks guys. I try to use the search as much as possible to answer my basic questions, but I couldn't find info on this.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
John called me this morning,my MR70 1/2 inch done. He is still very busy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing