Luxurious new inner sleeves

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Digital files don't fit into record sleeves! :rolleyes:

Dear Bruce,

And, it is also true that one cannot download an LP. But, one can do needle drops, create files and set them up for downloads, the next best thing perhaps. I hope it doesn't happen, of course.........

tks
todd

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi Todd! Will you be at TAVES next weekend? And, if so, will you have some of those sleeves with you?

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Thanks for that pic...it tells the story of the questions I asked. Seems like like is enough room to easily insert an album, and thankfully they have a lip as well. Not only is it easier to insert an album when you have that lip to assist you , but it's also easier to find the open side IMO.

Hi Jonny

The sleeves are cut large enough to accommodate a thick 180/200 gm LP and then some because some of the LPs being released have rather rough edges and a tight sleeve might tear because of the rough edges. The two randomly woven fibers work together to strengthen to material so that once the LP is inserted, the sleeve holds its shape.
inner sleeve in action....jpg
As Gary showed you in the photo, there is a lip so one can tell which side to insert ones record....

Thanks!

todd
ma

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
The sleeves I really don't like are the premium pink tinged polyethylene sleeves from RTI. They seem to leave a bit of "bag rash" on the vinyl.

Hello Mr. Laser CD!

What do you mean by "Bag Rash"? RTI promotes the sleeves as being anti static. Hence, the pink color. But, I have no further insight into that aspect of the product.

Thanks!

todd
ma

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Are you sure Gary:confused:

IMO, anything woven like that will eventually break down and do worse to your beloved LP's.

Hello there "turntable" down under. The material used in the making of the sleeves I am promoting is the same that is used to make the rounded sleeves that you say you are using: "Polyethylene" Moreover, the rounded sleeves you are using (as far as I know there is only one source) are made by Nagaoka in Japan. I do not know the source of the MOFI, nor the QRP sleeves. Mine are made in Japan, I assume from materials sourced domestically there.

Plain simple plastic round bottom inner sleeves work perfectly and have for 30 years now. The Covers33 poly lined curved paper sleeves (the ones used on Speakers Corner lp's) are great for lp's that do not have the cardboard lyric sheet

mofi, nagaoka and alike are a waste of $$ imo - YMMV ;)

Best Wishes
todd
ma

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Dear JV

I will be there with the sleeves! Please let me know via the MA website, if you have any specific requests!

Best Wishes

todd
ma
www.marecordings.com

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Agreed, paper sleeves are the worst. I guess lp manufacturer's still use them as it is part of the automated packing process?

Hi again! LP pressing plants use paper sleeves because they cost next to nothing and for no other reason... There are some plants that use better sleeves when pressing heavy 180gm vinyl, but not everyone..........

tks
todd

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Hello Mr. Laser CD!

What do you mean by "Bag Rash"? RTI promotes the sleeves as being anti static. Hence, the pink color. But, I have no further insight into that aspect of the product.

Thanks!

todd
ma

Hi Todd

As a long time vinyl collector (you probably didn't know that about me) I've had to suffer through the horrible pressings from Italy in the 70s. Many of the albums were packaged with poly sleeves. They would stain the vinyl. Mostly it was inaudible but its quite visible - you could literally see the impression of the poly sleeve in the vinyl itself. Collectors call it "bag rash". A lot of those old Italian prog rock albums suffered from it. The short lived Bla Bla label was notorious for this. I've even seen it in UK pressings as well. There is something in the composition of those old poly sleeves that would break down and scar the vinyl.

I've gotten a number of Music Matters reissues that were pressed at RTI. They come in those expensive pink sleeves. I've noticed similar staining. I have no idea what it is or what causes it. Perhaps because they are newer the Audiodesk is album to remove it and the pressings are generally dead quiet. I could clean one of those old Italian albums 50 times in the Audiodesk and it won't remove the rash one iota. Anyway...I typically replace the RTI sleeve as soon as possible.

Hope all is well with you.

Regards,

Ken Golden
www.lasercd.com

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Hi Jonny

The sleeves are cut large enough to accommodate a thick 180/200 gm LP and then some because some of the LPs being released have rather rough edges and a tight sleeve might tear because of the rough edges. The two randomly woven fibers work together to strengthen to material so that once the LP is inserted, the sleeve holds its shape.
View attachment 12298
As Gary showed you in the photo, there is a lip so one can tell which side to insert ones record....

Thanks!

todd
ma

they look a lot like laser disc sleeves when i used to collect them years ago. are these sourced from Japan? maybe they're the same ones repurposed.

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
HI KEN! Nice to hear from you! And, thanks for the detailed reply. Super informative! Hope all is good otherwise!

Best Wishes

todd

Hi Todd

As a long time vinyl collector (you probably didn't know that about me) I've had to suffer through the horrible pressings from Italy in the 70s. Many of the albums were packaged with poly sleeves. They would stain the vinyl. Mostly it was inaudible but its quite visible - you could literally see the impression of the poly sleeve in the vinyl itself. Collectors call it "bag rash". A lot of those old Italian prog rock albums suffered from it. The short lived Bla Bla label was notorious for this. I've even seen it in UK pressings as well. There is something in the composition of those old poly sleeves that would break down and scar the vinyl.

I've gotten a number of Music Matters reissues that were pressed at RTI. They come in those expensive pink sleeves. I've noticed similar staining. I have no idea what it is or what causes it. Perhaps because they are newer the Audiodesk is album to remove it and the pressings are generally dead quiet. I could clean one of those old Italian albums 50 times in the Audiodesk and it won't remove the rash one iota. Anyway...I typically replace the RTI sleeve as soon as possible.

Hope all is well with you.

Regards,

Ken Golden
www.lasercd.com

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Hi Rob

They are made by the same people as those that made those laser disc sleeves, actually a family with a factory and a few workers.... They also make the mini LP CD sleeves you find Sony and JVC CDs in.... All from Japan, of course!

The sleeves I have however, are not made in the same way, nor necessarily from the same materials.

Best Wishes
todd

they look a lot like laser disc sleeves when i used to collect them years ago. are these sourced fErom Japan? maybe they're the same ones repurposed.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The material used in the making of the sleeves I am promoting is the same that is used to make the rounded sleeves that you say you are using: "Polyethylene" Moreover, the rounded sleeves you are using (as far as I know there is only one source) are made by Nagaoka in Japan. I do not know the source of the MOFI, nor the QRP sleeves. Mine are made in Japan, I assume from materials sourced domestically there.

Best Wishes
todd
ma

Hi Todd

All the global supply of cheapie plastic inner sleeves are made in Japan by Nagoaka? ;) see link below for an example of the cheapies.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-NEW-...H_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35bf38ac18&_uhb=1

Very interesting fact that these woven sleeves are made from poly/plastic. I thought from the photos they were made from some woven cloth like material. If this being the case, I sincerely take back my statements about woven material breaking down.
I guess the woven plastic is fine enough that it does not micro scratch the vinyl when pulling the lp in and out? To me, I can't see how it can be as smooth and non evasive as normal poly inners but what do I know :D

That said, I can't see how ther can be any difference in performance of the cheap poly inners and any other more expensive plastic based inners in protecting our precious vinyl.

All the best and thanks for clarifying the material these woven inners are made from.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Maybe I missed it but what's the price of these? Back in the day, i got the ones from Chad VRP? Now use the QRP ones that are allegedly rice paper; also got a package of 'rice paper style' from Bags Unlimited to try.
My copy of that Daft Punk album came with the records in clear plastic sleeves. I kept them for posterity but re sleeved them. I thought that Nogoaka made the original rice paper sleeves that are no longer available....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Maybe I missed it but what's the price of these? Back in the day, i got the ones from Chad VRP? Now use the QRP ones that are allegedly rice paper; also got a package of 'rice paper style' from Bags Unlimited to try.
My copy of that Daft Punk album came with the records in clear plastic sleeves. I kept them for posterity but re sleeved them. I thought that Nogoaka made the original rice paper sleeves that are no longer available....

There is no such thing as rice paper sleeves for LPs. For photos yes, especially because of acid content.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
All inner sleeves have a "sound"

What do these new woven sleeves sound like?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Hi Todd

All the global supply of cheapie plastic inner sleeves are made in Japan by Nagoaka? ;) see link below for an example of the cheapies.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100-NEW-...H_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item35bf38ac18&_uhb=1

Very interesting fact that these woven sleeves are made from poly/plastic. I thought from the photos they were made from some woven cloth like material. If this being the case, I sincerely take back my statements about woven material breaking down.
I guess the woven plastic is fine enough that it does not micro scratch the vinyl when pulling the lp in and out? To me, I can't see how it can be as smooth and non evasive as normal poly inners but what do I know :D

That said, I can't see how ther can be any difference in performance of the cheap poly inners and any other more expensive plastic based inners in protecting our precious vinyl.

All the best and thanks for clarifying the material these woven inners are made from.

TODD: Well, go HERE

You will see a price of 420 Japanese yen, but unless you can read Japanese like I do, you would not know that the price is for 50 sleeves. So, double that and you have 100 sleeves for 840 JPY!!! You are paying $27 AUD, the value of which I am not sure of in USD, but I assume it also includes VAT there so it is not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination. The sleeves that I have are not available yet even in Japan, although I had them made there. Strange, right?
I would not be surprised if someone in China is was making copies of the rounded sleeves... SO, I cannot answer your query regarding the rounded "cheapy" sleeves with 100% confidence.

Best Wishes

todd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing