Luxurious new inner sleeves

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Dear Myles

I found a photo of your cat on a SRA "platform" of sorts. Is that cat Solid State or Vacuum Tube/Old or New stock? Looks relaxed!

Best Wishes

todd

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Hi! What I have to offer is being offered at $33 for 50 sleeves. This is not cheap, because it is not cheap...... But, if you look at the photo elsewhere in this thread, perhaps you will gain insight into why it is not cheap....

Best Wishes

todd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gary it's time to give paper towels another look.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
different material inner sleeves impart its own "sound" to the vinyl.

most paper sleeves make the LP sound more spacious with a little upward tilt towards the high end.
the thicker, translucent pink sleeves put more emphasis on the mid range, making vocals sound forward.
the nagaoka is somewhere in between.
i like how the sleeves included with analogue production 45rpm series sound.
its very similar to the nagaoka, but adding just a little bit more body to the sound.

over here in asia, i prefer to store vinyl LPs in paper for the humidity reasons.
but after taking it out from the paper sleeves, i'll usually slot it into a nagaoka or a ap sleeve to condition its surface before playing it.

it's the same with optical discs. different coloured jewel cases sound different....
but the effect is short live.
after spinning and having the laser read the optical discs at least once, most of the sonic signature imparted by the jewel cases would be largely eliminated.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"it's the same with optical discs. different coloured jewel cases sound different....
after spinning and having the laser read the optical discs at least once, most of the sonic signature imparted by the jewel cases would be largely eliminated."

Uh Oh!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

most paper sleeves make the LP sound more spacious with a little upward tilt towards the high end.
the thicker, translucent pink sleeves put more emphasis on the mid range, making vocals sound forward.
its very similar to the nagaoka, but adding just a little bit more body to the sound.

over here in asia, i prefer to store vinyl LPs in paper for the humidity reasons.
but after taking it out from the paper sleeves, i'll usually slot it into a nagaoka or a ap sleeve to condition its surface before playing it.

it's the same with optical discs. different coloured jewel cases sound different....
after spinning and having the laser read the optical discs at least once, most of the sonic signature imparted by the jewel cases would be largely eliminated.

Do you have a static electricity issue because of your humidity Jerome? Does your tt use a plastic "type" platter or plinth? If so, have you ever tried wiping the platter or plinth with Static Guard and noticed the same effect?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

its very similar to the nagaoka, but adding just a little bit more body to the sound...

really?? :rolleyes:

ps - in case you didn't know the penchant for shark fin soup is decimating the shark population at an alarming rate the world over.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
really?? :rolleyes:

ps - in case you didn't know the penchant for shark fin soup is decimating the shark population at an alarming rate the world over.

Rob it could simply be related to static electricity. Try as suggested above, Static Guard.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I left the line in there......., and sure enough some idiots will take the bait. :D

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Trying to define the sound of different inner sleeve materials could be tricky.
First of all playing the same portion on an LP twice in a short while with a cartridge playback system is guaranteed to give u different sound due to the inevitable groove wall deformation.
Secondly, most tables that I've encountered so far all seem to exhibit the same problem - that of their motor being required to be refreshed.
Whenever turntable motors are stopped, there is a need to power off the mains feeding the motors, and turning it on again.
Otherwise there is audibly reduction in soundstaging sizes, and there is the sense that the musical flow is being impeded.
Refreshing the power supply to the motors always help to ensure consistent sound from the turntables so that it won't introduce another variable while conditioning the LPs with different inner sleeves.
With a little more care, of course, one can get around these 2 issues.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Jerome: could you clarify this statement: "Whenever turntable motors are stopped, there is a need to power off the mains feeding the motors, and turning it on again."
By powering off the mains, you mean at the breaker? Disconnecting the AC cord from the receptacle?
Shutting off the motor, at least for me, is turning off the power to the motors from the controller. But I read your statement, if you are serious, to mean something more....
Bill

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Trying to define the sound of different inner sleeve materials could be tricky.
First of all playing the same portion on an LP twice in a short while with a cartridge playback system is guaranteed to give u different sound due to the inevitable groove wall deformation.
Secondly, most tables that I've encountered so far all seem to exhibit the same problem - that of their motor being required to be refreshed.
Whenever turntable motors are stopped, there is a need to power off the mains feeding the motors, and turning it on again.
Otherwise there is audibly reduction in soundstaging sizes, and there is the sense that the musical flow is being impeded.
Refreshing the power supply to the motors always help to ensure consistent sound from the turntables so that it won't introduce another variable while conditioning the LPs with different inner sleeves.
With a little more care, of course, one can get around these 2 issues.

I think you like to tug on people's legs. Different sleeves impart a different sound to LPs? "Refreshing" the motor on your turntable and turning off the circuit breaker that feeds your turntable makes it sound better? I'm not buying any of it. What's next, chicken bones and juju beans?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I think you like to tug on people's legs. Different sleeves impart a different sound to LPs? "Refreshing" the motor on your turntable and turning off the circuit breaker that feeds your turntable makes it sound better? I'm not buying any of it. What's next, chicken bones and juju beans?

I agree. Further, I went out of my way to design a turntable that is extra friendly to those who prefer to change records on the fly. Continuous operation? I tested a prototype by leaving it running for two years. At the end, it still sounded the same to my ears, and I listen critically. There is zero merit that I am aware of to rebooting an electric motor.

Juju beans? Now, there's a serious issue! :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Juju beans? Now, there's a serious issue! :D
Let's hope no one sticks pins into an effigy of your or mep's tt's. It will be the new tweak.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Jerome: could you clarify this statement: "Whenever turntable motors are stopped, there is a need to power off the mains feeding the motors, and turning it on again."
By powering off the mains, you mean at the breaker? Disconnecting the AC cord from the receptacle?
Shutting off the motor, at least for me, is turning off the power to the motors from the controller. But I read your statement, if you are serious, to mean something more....
Bill

Every time the motor is stopped (to change sides or to change LP altogether), the power supply to the motor must be disconnected first, then connected on again. The sonic differences, as a result of "refreshing" the motor is very audible in many systems I tried, regardless of whether the turntable motor is fed direct from the wall, or fed from a speed controller device.

In fact I first discovered it while fiddling with a speed controller device on a friend's system.

I discovered that LP playback sound becomes forward, muddied, bass bloated (some people might like this actually) when the speed control unit was changed from 33rpm to 45rpm, then back to 33rpm again. We were just putting another record on (that we played just not ago) when we unwittingly changed the speed, and we noticed the sonic differences straight away.

On a hunch, I disconnected the power supply to the speed controller unit (scu) and found that the "refreshed" scu makes the turntable/LP sounds more opened, more detailed, more dynamic, more musical all at the same time. Btw, the power supply cord between the speed controller to the motor is hardwired, so the only way to refresh the motor is switching off power supply to the speed controller.

Later, myself, and a few other listeners repeated the test with several other different LPs and on different turntable models, and found the sonic results repeatable and consistently audible, without straining to hear it. Later I discovered the same thing at home with my Michel Gyro se, which works without a scu, and in other people's systems, with several other turntables, also without scu.

Luckily my gyro se turntable motor is driven by a separate ac line from the wall (within easy reach of my left hand) away from the dedicated ac line feeding the pre and phonostage, which is behind the equipment. every time I stop the turntable, for whatever reasons, I just need to refresh the ac (by turning off and turning on again) feeding the motor to consistently get the level of dynamics and clarity that i didnt know this turntable is capable of. It is like I got a $$$$ upgrade to my gyro se!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

I'm not falling for this voodoo either! I have noticed that when I don't shave I get a woolier sound!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm not falling for this voodoo either! I have noticed that when I don't shave I get a woolier sound!

Has anyone tried it? It's a pretty easy experiment. Stranger things have happened. Does anyone remember how the sound of early CD players changed when you skipped around?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

John, when I listen after a shower - the sound is more liquid.

Has anyone tried it? It's a pretty easy experiment. Stranger things have happened. Does anyone remember how the sound of early CD players changed when you skipped around?

Yes, Myles. Stranger things have happened. Unplugging the +ve speaker cable and letting the system sit for a while, and then plugging it back expands the soundstage. However, I'm not sure if that is due to the amplifier or it's the loudspeaker equivalent of what jeromelang has mentioned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing