KEF Blade Review by Jeff Dorgay/Tone Audio Issue 58

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hello Chaps:

For those interested, Jeff Dorgay's review of the KEF Blades is now
available for download in Tone Audio issue 58. It is on page 91 I believe.

(There are also reviews of D'Agostino, Devaliet, Nagra, Wadia, and more)

I have discussed these speakers with Jeff on numerous occasions. In the past
year or so he has had the Sonus Faber Aida, Magico S5, and a variety of other
very nice speakers come through his room. All were driven by world class electronics
from Nagro, Burmester, ARC Reference, Devaliet,Conrad Johnson, Pass Labs, Wadia, D'Agostino etc.

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_058.pdf

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Thanks for the headsup, looking forward to reading this months.
Thanks
Orb

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks. Turning an electrostat devotee to a "box" speaker is not easy! :). I listened to the Blade for about 6 month and it is a very satisfying speaker. It has very controlled directivity which makes it more room friendly.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have remarked more than a few times that even the LS50 has an electrostatic like purity about it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Thanks. Turning an electrostat devotee to a "box" speaker is not easy! :). I listened to the Blade for about 6 month and it is a very satisfying speaker. It has very controlled directivity which makes it more room friendly.

Yes, Jeff uses them now as a reference. I have only heard them at shows. I was very impressed, but that is not like hearing them with in one's own reference system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have remarked more than a few times that even the LS50 has an electrostatic like purity about it.

Mark,

"Purity" is a too vague definition if not explained with a few more words. What aspects are you addressing?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Yeah but is that simply the lack of low end?

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Yeah but is that simply the lack of low end?

Nope, because I'm running them with four subs and the purity is still there. I think it's a combination of the driver and the enclosure. See the KEF LS50 wow wow thread for some of my latest thoughts I just posted.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

"Purity" is a too vague definition if not explained with a few more words. What aspects are you addressing?

Purity in the sense of a very low distortion driver mounted into a very special small enclosure that is not adding garbage to the music. Most people who have owned electrostats understand the type of purity I'm talking about I hope. I equate purity to no box sound and very low distortion of all types that plague many loudspeaker designs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Purity in the sense of a very low distortion driver mounted into a very special small enclosure that is not adding garbage to the music. Most people who have owned electrostats understand the type of purity I'm talking about I hope. I equate purity to no box sound and very low distortion of all types that plague many loudspeaker designs.

While I was waiting for your answer I had the time to look in the Blade measurements published by the german magazine Audio www.audio.de almost two years ago and confirm my memories about it.
The Blade showed a very regular frequency response, with a downward uniform tilt downwards in the axe response, a good think in my opinion. The Blade got an excellent subjective review, but the distortion measurements at levels above 90 dB were deceiving (the distortion levels were almost 10-15 dB worst than the Magico S5, recently tested by same magazine).

It seems that the considering distortion the ear should be the ultimate measuring device! ;)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,145

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Did the magazine say whether the distortion was coming from the cabinets or the drivers? Oh, and let's not forget that the Blades each have four 9" woofers and I would assume the greater distortion would be coming from those 9" drivers and not the uni-q driver. Those four 9" drivers may alone account for the difference in distortion measurements between the S5 speakers and the Blades.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Did the magazine say whether the distortion was coming from the cabinets or the drivers?

They referred that it was due specifically from the midrange driver limited excursion - perhaps KEF wanted to emulate an electrostatic!

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
1640958341349.png

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
all I could find on distortion

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing