Looking into Reel/Reel

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Hi Guys
Thinking of getting a nice unit
There is a gentleman near Montreal with a Teac 2000R some tapes and reels asking $900...looks nice
I am not sure where to start as the only XLR based unit I seen local in Toronto is a
Studar A810 and is asking $4000...seems like alot...
Any advice for a newbie??
thanks john

My anolog gear is
Pioneer CT-F950
Denon 1200 with 103
Yamaha C-1
yammy c1  pioneer cass.jpg

MCLSOUND

Mar 26, 2011
Good question Steve
$900 is great if it is a good unit and investment. .......$4000 is a bit more than I ever wanted to spend..it was more a example....
I certainly love XLR connectors but I am open to wise information.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Depends on what you want to play. If you want to play 4 track tapes then the TEAC might be adequate. If you want to play the best sounding tapes you need 2 track. Just make sure it's been looked at by a tech.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Have you seen the videos of Ki?

Part 1

Part 2

My experience has always been, buy the best thing you can buy now. Don't try to skimp and save money. It will cost you more in the long run and you'll always wonder and want the one you "couldn't afford".

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I don't know what the rest of your gear is but if your happy with it,then purchase a good 2 track machine. The Studer @ 4000 should come with a head report of some type,if not that's too much,especially sold "as is".

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I am not sure where to start as the only XLR based unit I seen local in Toronto is a
Studar A810 and is asking $4000...seems like alot...

It is :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing