The KEF LS50 and tubes WOW WOW WOW!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I hooked up the LS50's to the Rogue ST 100 on Atacama stands. As the title of the thread says.

W O W!!

I had been using them with a solid state McIntosh integrated (200 wpc) and the with an Electrocompanient ECI 3 (70/120 wpc 4/8 ohms).

The McIntosh LS50 pairing was nice, with solid imaging and a very clean midrange. It was however a bit on the laid back, and on occasion, bland side.

The ECI 3 was a bit sweeter, with a warmer midrange, and and and overall lusher presentation.

I then hooked them up to the Rogue St 100. Jaw hits floor...the use the old audiophile cliche...lol.

Explosive dynamics...bass performance beyond what I thought they were capable of, and a sheer beauty across the frequency
spectrum.

The LS50 and tubes are a match made in heaven.

My initial thoughts on the LS50 are that they absolutely should be used in the appropriate room size, and listener will get the
very best out of them with near field listening...6 to 8 feet max. I also believe the speakers should be set up so that the coaxial driver
is either at, or just below ear level.

:D

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, I think we both knew that tubes could be a great match to the LS50's. I'm glad that you confirmed that. Do you think that the LS50's could use a sub and benefit from that?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, I think we both knew that tubes could be a great match to the LS50's. I'm glad that you confirmed that. Do you think that the LS50's could use a sub and benefit from that?

Hey Davey:

Tubes and the LS50 go together like fish n chips heheh.

On the topic of a sub: With near field listening and the appropriate room size, I don't believe subs will be beneficial.

First, trying to integrate a sub with the excellent coax driver on the LS50 really defeats the purpose. The driver was designed,
for ultimate coherence and to perform as a single voice.

That is not to say it can't be done, but unless KEF makes a matching sub, I would not risk the grey hairs.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre, I guess it's the old story...IF you want bass, you have to pay big money. In this case, a step up to the Blades.

Actually, there are full range, or near full range speakers for far less than the Blades from a host of manufacturers.

Too many to mention!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Actually, there are full range, or near full range speakers for far less than the Blades from a host of manufacturers.

Too many to mention!

Of course.
BUT if you want the same kind of technology as the LS50's BUT with a lot more bass, then probably the Blades are the step up.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Of course.
BUT if you want the same kind of technology as the LS50's BUT with a lot more bass, then probably the Blades are the step up.

The Blades are TWENTY TIMES the cost of the LS50s!!!:eek: So, a totally different ball park.

However, there are speakers from Thiel, Bogdan, and KEF themselves who use coaxial drivers that are far, far less.

I have always felt the Thiel CS3.7 was an absolute steal at 13K.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Blades are TWENTY TIMES the cost of the LS50s!!!:eek: So, a totally different ball park.

However, there are speakers from Thiel, Bogdan, and KEF themselves who use coaxial drivers that are far, far less.

I have always felt the Thiel CS3.7 was an absolute steal at 13K.
Agreed, the Thiels are a great buy at their current price. Haven't heard the Bogdans, or any of the other intermediate Kef's.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Andre, did you add a couple of WOWs since the last time I noticed this thread? :)

Tim

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Of course.

The Blades dont sound anywhere near as good as the LS50. The resolution (even with Soulution gear) was found wanting, and that is certainly not true of the LS50.

For similar money, you could get the Heil AMT Aulos bookshelf with the matching Sub-woofer stand (circa €3K in total), found here:
http://www.precide.ch/eng/eheil/eheil.htm
and pictures here: http://www.precide.ch/news/news.htm

The HF driver is semi-open baffle dipole(tunnel opening in front and back), and the woofer is high excusrsion to keep up with the fast HF driver.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The Blades dont sound anywhere near as good as the LS50. The resolution (even with Soulution gear) was found wanting, and that is certainly not true of the LS50.

For similar money, you could get the Heil AMT Aulos bookshelf with the matching Sub-woofer stand (circa €3K in total), found here:
http://www.precide.ch/eng/eheil/eheil.htm
and pictures here: http://www.precide.ch/news/news.htm

The HF driver is semi-open baffle dipole(tunnel opening in front and back), and the woofer is high excusrsion to keep up with the fast HF driver.

The Blades use scaled up technology and the same coaxial design as the LS50s, so I find it hard to believe they were "wanting for resolution".

However, it is possible they are not suited to taste, and maybe their balance is not as nice, with the side firing woofer and larger cabinet.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hey Tim. No modified WOWs!!! This thread contains only stock WOWs.:)

Yeah...I think they're multiplying. :) Tubes or no tubes, even passive, I think there is some magic in small two-way speakers. Don't get me wrong; there's magic in ceiling-high line arrays and woofers the size of Smartcars, too. It's just a different kind of magic.

Tim

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
They failed the cricket test in the Chris Jones Roadhouses and Automobilesbiles song.

I sat in the sweet spot and also got up and walked up close to and around them. I was gobsmacked, but they did not project the faint cricket noise throught the song. Check for yourself when you have the chance.

I know about the coax driver and all, but still...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...)

I then hooked them up to the Rogue St 100. Jaw hits floor...the use the old audiophile cliche...lol.

Explosive dynamics...bass performance beyond what I thought they were capable of, and a sheer beauty across the frequency
spectrum.

The LS50 and tubes are a match made in heaven.

(...)

Andre,

I would be very careful before issuing such a general statement. I had experiences where a particular tube amplifier sounded great with a speaker, but tube amplifiers of similar power in general were not the best for driving this speaker. Sometimes two or more components have a particular synergy that goes beyond our classifications.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,

I would be very careful before issuing such a general statement. I had experiences where a particular tube amplifier sounded great with a speaker, but tube amplifiers of similar power in general were not the best for driving this speaker. Sometimes two or more components have a particular synergy that goes beyond our classifications.

Interesting comment, but since I know two LS50 owners who used tube amps with the same result, I REALLY don't think it is a "synergy" thing.

But of course, one should audition this speaker with their own amplifier, tube or SS, before purchasing. :D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yeah...I think they're multiplying. :) Tubes or no tubes, even passive, I think there is some magic in small two-way speakers. Don't get me wrong; there's magic in ceiling-high line arrays and woofers the size of Smartcars, too. It's just a different kind of magic.

Tim

I pulled out my trusty Spendor S3/5Rs, having been boxed up for quite a while...and I was really taken aback at
how fantastic they still sounded. They just get to the heart of the music. The 2 way BBC style monitor is still magic
50 years later.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I pulled out my trusty Spendor S3/5Rs, having been boxed up for quite a while...and I was really taken aback at
how fantastic they still sounded. They just get to the heart of the music. The 2 way BBC style monitor is still magic
50 years later.

Good modern, active 2-way monitors get to it even better. There are some theories out there as to why, but to my ear, its a pretty delicate balance, and even if the woofers get a bit too large (over 6.5" or so...) they begin to lose some of the magic. See? I believe in magic after all!

Tim

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Good modern, active 2-way monitors get to it even better. There are some theories out there as to why, but to my ear, its a pretty delicate balance, and even if the woofers get a bit too large (over 6.5" or so...) they begin to lose some of the magic. See? I believe in magic after all!

Tim

Haha..magic rules.

Yes, some modern two ways take it to another level. It is when they are designed with sizzling tweeters
that they over step their bounds.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Haha..magic rules.

Yes, some modern two ways take it to another level. It is when they are designed with sizzling tweeters
that they over step their bounds.

Yep. Not a fan of sizzling tweeters. I'd love to hear those KEFs. I have a feeling that with the right amplification, they would infect me.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing